Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

For me, much much better

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Actually mine is worse , i got these after full charge and couple of msg over whatsapp :) well take a look:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331267595.841140.jpg

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
20r8ef6.jpg

About 1.5 hours of music usage maximum, the rest is itunes videos, web browsing, calling and sms. It's about 1 hour better I would say in my case.

tHUNDERMUFFiN

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Updated to 5.1 yesterday by doing an OTA update and then just used my phone normally. I charged it today from I'd say about 30% all the way up to 100%. As of writing this I am down to 61 percent with just 1 hour and 14 minutes of usage and 5 hours and 30 minutes of standby. I haven't even used my phone to do anything but text and then I started to research others' battery life over WiFi.

I really hope that my battery indicator is off, otherwise I am extremely upset over this. I rarely broke 5 hours of usage before (but I did get about 25 hours of standby so I was content), and with the usage I'm getting now it's almost useless unless I'm able to have my phone plugged in.

I'm going to let it fully die and then charge up. I'll post later with my result, hopefully it's better!

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
Drastic improvement for me. Went back to school and got home with slightly more than 90% left. With 5.0.1, the number would be from 60% to 70%. I use the stock music player for about an hour, whatsapp and text. There was also some Instagraming and Facebooking.

But I was jailbroken with a range of tweaks + themes on my 5.0.1 and now I am basically on a stock iPhone with the only 3rd party apps being Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook Manager and SmartSync. Nothing else. So that probably plays a part too. I can live without a pretty looking phone. Battery is more important to me. Made the decision to go to 5.1 and I do not regret it.

sharke

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Battery threads really annoy me. Excuse my French but people are so full of ****** when it comes to gauging their battery usage. It's almost impossible to judge battery drainage with any degree of accuracy, since there are literally hundreds of factors which affect battery life, and no matter how similar you think your usage is from day to day, there are a myriad of differences, including such things as push notifications connecting to temperamental servers, proximity to radio towers and quality of signal strength etc (which can change all the time).

Yet people still insist on reeling off times and percentages like it's some watertight scientific experiment: "Today I browsed for 3 minutes, read 4 emails, checked the weather twice, played Scrabble for about 6 minutes, took 3 phones calls and sent 8 texts, and my percentage is down to 73% by 2:41pm. Yet this time last week, I did exactly the same and my percentage was down to 85% by 2:56pm. Something is definitely not right!"

Jeez. My battery longevity seems to fluctuate wildly from day to day, even though I appear to use my phone the same amount. There is no freaking way I'm making an accurate gauge of battery life after one, two or even three days. Some of you people remind me of dieters who insist that they've "lost a pound since last week," even though a person's weight fluctuates by 3-4lbs over the course of a day. Idiotic.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't know how about usage time, but the standby is a lot better. 1% through the night with wifi on. That's great. I know that it drains slower from 100% to 99% but even if it were 3%, I think I could get the 200 hour standby.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Before 5.1 When I left home at 10 in the morning the battery would go down to ~60% by the afternoon with almost no use of the 4S. Today I see it only lost 5% of it's charge. Thanks for the fix Apple! Too bad it took you guys 6 months to fix it!

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Big improvement on standby. Took it off the charger at 6am this morning - it's now about 4pm, so 10 hours since a charge with light web browsing at lunch time for about 40 mins, and relatively regular checking of email and/or sending emails throughout the day. Current battery 93%.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

What's idiotic in trying to measure the battery and cOmparing to different previous known results? Battery for the iPhone 4s for me is very bad. Every iPhone before (and I havehad all 5 of them) used to last me at least 1.5 days. With the iPhone 4s I can't make it through 16 hours. Same settings and all. Tried restoring and new and nothing fixes it. That's ****** battery life for me, weather you like it or not

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Battery threads really annoy me. Excuse my French but people are so full of ****** when it comes to gauging their battery usage. It's almost impossible to judge battery drainage with any degree of accuracy, since there are literally hundreds of factors which affect battery life, and no matter how similar you think your usage is from day to day, there are a myriad of differences, including such things as push notifications connecting to temperamental servers, proximity to radio towers and quality of signal strength etc (which can change all the time).

Yet people still insist on reeling off times and percentages like it's some watertight scientific experiment: "Today I browsed for 3 minutes, read 4 emails, checked the weather twice, played Scrabble for about 6 minutes, took 3 phones calls and sent 8 texts, and my percentage is down to 73% by 2:41pm. Yet this time last week, I did exactly the same and my percentage was down to 85% by 2:56pm. Something is definitely not right!"

Jeez. My battery longevity seems to fluctuate wildly from day to day, even though I appear to use my phone the same amount. There is no freaking way I'm making an accurate gauge of battery life after one, two or even three days. Some of you people remind me of dieters who insist that they've "lost a pound since last week," even though a person's weight fluctuates by 3-4lbs over the course of a day. Idiotic.

Haha this is so true

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A very marked improvement having had time to test it, I think Apple have finally got a grip on it. I went to charge mine last night thinking it would be down around 15% or so....It was on 72% big improvement.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I was one of the fortunate people to not encounter any battery issues on 5.0.1 so the update hasn't affected my battery noticeably. Not exactly sure if it's slightly better or worse yet

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
after leaving it overnight

2 hours, 12 minutes usage
12 hours, 9 minutes standby

74% left

i lost about 11% overnight but that was because i had 11 ESPN alerts and 1 e-mail. I say thats pretty good.

Just noticed though that my 3G is on which is odd as i switched it off yesterday. wonder if it came on when the phone died and was charging?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Except many of us are the dieter insisting they've lost 30lbs since last week, not just one pound.

Sure, there are a nearly infinite number of variables that can effect the battery drain, but when it's usually dead (or within 10%) by a certain time in the day and, after an update, it still has 40%, I think it's safe to say something has changed for the better.

Of course we'll all get a better idea of how dramatic a change it is over the next few days, but, for some of us, the difference is already above the usual expected variations so should be safe to make such claims.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine seems to be doing much better with 5.1. I didn't have to charge it at lunch (I always used to) - it's only down to 55% and I'm on my way home. So, big improvement here.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

The Game 161 said:
Just noticed though that my 3G is on which is odd as i switched it off yesterday. wonder if it came on when the phone died and was charging?

3G comes back on if you switch phone off/on

Early signs my battery is way better. First thing I did was turn off 3G and saw my signal meter hit 5bars. It usually only did this when I made a call. Guess it switched off 3G.

7hrs 59 minutes usage
1day 10 hrs standby

Battery 12%

Getting ready for first calibration

Phone was on charge when updating to 5.1
Was over 90% when it installed so let it finish. Unplugged. Used for a while. Left wifi on over night but switched off house wifi. Lost about 4%

Used next day for iMessage tons of wifi surfing. iMessage on cellular data. Remote control apps. Some music. A little of nano studio. Words with friends. Twitter. App store. Emailing (2 on push). That sort of thing

At night this time switched off wifi in phone.

Seems good. Thanks apple.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
My battery life seems much improved!

Judging by what people are saying, it seems that the people who did the OTA update are not getting very good battery life.

I downloaded the full 800-900 MB install file and restored through iTunes.

My phone is lasting longer on standby and also on standard reading tasks (mail/news/twitter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.