Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Shotgun mic suggestions (>$200)

I need a more directional mic. I have 200 to spend. Any suggestions?

I am doing interviews and amateur videos with them.

Here is a sample where I used a zoom h2 instead of a mic.
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
floh
macrumors 6502

I actually bought two such mics about a year ago with the intention of trying them out and sending one back. I recorded my tests and put some of them online:
Rode NTG-2 vs. Beyerdynamic MCE 86
Switch to HD for better audio!

I was actually pretty happy with both mics and did some research before I ordered those two. Keep in mind though that it was important to me that the mics could be battery powered and did not depend on phantom power from an XLR connection to a mixing console or similar. If you are recording on a field recorder with phantom power (like the Zoom H4n) anyways, you might find better microphones. But as I understand it, you have a Zoom H2 and maybe want to use it to plug your mic into?

It seems I had a very similar setup and problem about a year ago. If you have any more questions, shoot!
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
cgbier
macrumors 6502a

The Røde NTG-2 is a terrific mic for its price.
If you want to stay below 200, have a look at the Azden SGM 1x.

For connection to 1/8" you'll need the Pearstone LMT100 for each of the 2 mics above - I run my NTG-2 into an H1 with it.

Last edited by cgbier; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
cgbier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
monokakata
macrumors 65816

I've been pleased by the Audio-Technica AT865R short shotgun mike I bought several weeks ago. It's physically quite short.

I've used the A-T 4073a and the Sennheiser ME66/K7 and I think they are better mikes, but they're a lot more expensive.

It does require phantom power.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbier View Post
The Røde NTG-2 is a terrific mic for its.
If you want to stay below 200, have a look at the Azden SGM 1x.

For connection to 1/8" you'll need the Pearstone LMT100 for each of the 2 mics above - I run my NTG-2 into an H1 with it.
I have used the 2x version and it's great. The Azden looks like the best price point. Can I hook it into a 3.5mm jack on my hv30 or zoom h2?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floh View Post
I actually bought two such mics about a year ago with the intention of trying them out and sending one back. I recorded my tests and put some of them online:
Rode NTG-2 vs. Beyerdynamic MCE 86
Switch to HD for better audio!

I was actually pretty happy with both mics and did some research before I ordered those two. Keep in mind though that it was important to me that the mics could be battery powered and did not depend on phantom power from an XLR connection to a mixing console or similar. If you are recording on a field recorder with phantom power (like the Zoom H4n) anyways, you might find better microphones. But as I understand it, you have a Zoom H2 and maybe want to use it to plug your mic into?

It seems I had a very similar setup and problem about a year ago. If you have any more questions, shoot!

in that test video was there an something on, like AC, cause both mics picked up a lot of background noise/static.

I've heard good things about the Rode NGT2...
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:16 PM   #7
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
in that test video was there an something on, like AC, cause both mics picked up a lot of background noise/static.

I've heard good things about the Rode NGT2...
it sounded like hi frequency hiss, because I only noticed it on a couple of mics. A low pass filter would clean that up in a second.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8
cgbier
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteusclement View Post
I have used the 2x version and it's great. The Azden looks like the best price point. Can I hook it into a 3.5mm jack on my hv30 or zoom h2?
Yes, with the Pearstone transformer I linked to.
cgbier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:16 AM   #9
floh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteusclement View Post
The Azden looks like the best price point. Can I hook it into a 3.5mm jack on my hv30 or zoom h2?
You're right. It was very late when I wrote my first reply... The two mics came at 200,- for me, but those were euros... and the Azden was not an option, since it is rarely sold in Germany...

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like a good and less expensive alternative. And you can connect it with the cable cgbier linked you to. Be aware though that even with the Azden, your weakest link in recording sound will then certainly be the mic preamp of either your HV30 or your Zoom H2. You will get a hissing sound and more noise from the amplification than from the mic itself. Which is okay, since those things are upgradable later.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:27 AM   #10
floh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
Yes. I am saying in the beginning that the room is very bad for audio. I could not even hear the fans of my laptop, since the heating system was so noisy. At one point I am whispering and the heater was actually a lot louder than me within the room. This was on purpose, since I wanted to try out the mics in realistic (which is usually really bad) conditions, not within a studio with dampened walls. I also did some tests in better conditions and can send them to you, if you are interested.

You can still tell though that the background noise is significantly reduced as soon as I switch to the two shotguns mics. It is way worse with the on-camera shotgun.

As for getting rid of it: I would not recommend a low-pass filter, since it will also cut off all higher frequencies of spoken consonants and make speech sound very unnatural. Rather try to analyze the frequency at which the heating system was making noise and only take out only that one (and maybe some of its multiples). I left the sound in the video as original as possible to not influence it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:34 PM   #11
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

thanks everyone. I will make the plunge next week.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video