Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter released this chart, tracking the number of tweets per minute with the word "iPad" in them during Apple's iPad event yesterday. As shown in the graph above, the highest peak occurred just after Tim Cook announced that the new iPad would be priced at $499, the same pricing structure as the iPad 2.

Other prominent spikes occurred when the iPad was actually announced, when Apple shared that 4G would be included, and when it was shared that the 16GB iPad 2 would stick around for $399.

Article Link: Apple's iPad Announcement Measured in Tweets

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ah, yes. Don't underestimate the power of Twitter. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I signed up for mobile alerts, for the purpose of getting MacRumors iPad-related tweets pushed to my phone. Never thought I would see that day come. :eek:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    185.3 KB · Views: 305

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

The keynote audience suggested to me that 4GLTE got the loudest applause.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Ah, yes. Don't underestimate the power of Twitter. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I signed up for mobile alerts, for the purpose of getting MacRumors iPad-related tweets pushed to my phone. Never thought I would see that day come. :eek:

I seldom use Twitter, but I totally did the same exact thing for the exact same reasons.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
This chart is fun to watch but don't read too much into it.

In terms of mathematics: It's a pretty example for the convolution of box filters (or dirac delta functions) with an exponential curve, plus an offset.

11k news tweets are not *that* much. It is just about 10 times more than the usual background noise. And after the event was closed, the curve very quickly becomes background noise again. The half-value period is about 20 Minutes meaning after two hours, more than 95% of the "hype" has already gone.

But as I said, it's fun to watch. Much more interesting than the event itself... Oh, I should not have said that ;)

idnathan

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Twitter! and Apps!

I agree the power of twitter is out of this world! If you ever need an app developing then feel free to check us out, we are web developers based in the UK, cheers.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
This chart is fun to watch but don't read too much into it.

In terms of mathematics: It's a pretty example for the convolution of box filters (or dirac delta functions) with an exponential curve, plus an offset.

11k news tweets are not *that* much. It is just about 10 times more than the usual background noise. And after the event was closed, the curve very quickly becomes background noise again. The half-value period is about 20 Minutes meaning after two hours, more than 95% of the "hype" has already gone.

If you went from 6 feet tall to 60 feet tall, even for a brief period of time, it would be worth noting, and probably not only by you. ;)

You do have a point about this being so-so relative to other "big" events, though. By comparison, I believe the peak tweets-per-minute when Whitney Houston's death was reported was something like 60k.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
So twitter reads all my tweets whether i want it to or not and publishes metrics on them? Or are these just public tweets? Me thinks not.

Edit: Also note 10k is the max. Twitter is hyped to the max, If I said 10k views on youtube, you would yawn.

tbob

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Funny that there's no spike for Apple TV announcement. That's the one that mattered more to me. Interesting that there aren't that many people out there who care about it.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
*lol*

Some people have too much time.

They also happen to do this with other major events, since it's actually useful information for Twitter itself. In fact, one could argue that this is part of the core value proposition of Twitter -- the ability to judge interest and reaction in real-time.

It's not all that difficult to compile the data into an interesting chart; there are even websites that perform the task in real-time. I don't see how this qualifies as "having too much time."

taylortm

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
California, USA
Also note 10k is the max. Twitter is hyped to the max, If I said 10k views on youtube, you would yawn.

Uh... that's 10k per minute. I'm not a huge youtube statistician. But I would think that 10,000 views per minute, trailing off over an hour or so, would be remarkable. That's somewhere around a quarter million tweets over the course of the event.

RSchot

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Netherlands
~1M tweets on the iPad launch event

The graph suggests that the event is tweeted about 1M times in 6 hours. Not a bad marketing feat! :eek:

How many companies are able to achieve that for a product launch?

Note: the graph suggests ~1k tweets/min is steady state; not necessarily event related. A significant part may be new iPad activations tweeting they've got their new iPad! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.