Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:17 PM   #76
Nimrad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazonk View Post
What you say makes a lot of sense, but it also means that the iPad unfortunately still can't be considered much more than a toy even for hobby photographers, which are much better served with the smallest Air (with 4GB!) than with the newest iPad. Now if they only could make a retina version of the Air :-)
Still not a toy, but also still not a fully successor of the personal computer no. How come there's nothing in between for you? I can still do some photo editing on my iPad, but I can't replace my mac with it. That's unthinkable for me and will probably always be until all my needs that requires my mac to be online 24/7 can be done in the cloud.

About the retina MB Air: second that!
Nimrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:21 PM   #77
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaternio View Post
I don't mean to hate, but complaining about the 19MP limit for an iPad is ridiculous. If you are going to complain from a professional standpoint, complain that RAW isn't supported. But for me, the iPad still has a LONG way to go to be any sort of a replacement for a computer in my profession of photography, and it has nothing to do with the 19MP limit (and yet, I'm typing from my iPad 2 right now).

Also, I wouldn't expect to see an iOS Aperure for at least 2 years.
I agree these people are clearly idiots. If you are that serious about photo editing you'd be a fool to be using your iPad!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:21 PM   #78
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I don't understand what the point of this app is. If I'm editing on my iPhone/iPad, I'm doing with pics I've taken with those devices. I use Snapseed, Hipstamtic and Instagram for those purpose.

My DSLR photography is handled by LR/PS combo. When I edit those, it goes to iPhoto simply as a means to display and sync to my iDevices.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #79
fiveainone
macrumors 6502a

:mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydewnd2 View Post
Are you printing your images onto billboards? If not why are you wasting the disk space to shoot 24 MP?
WTF? Does he NEED a reason to shoot at 24mp? Why is iPad wasting memory space to go up to Retina display? Only in the world of Apple would something like this be said - justifying the limitations of Apple by making every other choice invalid. Just because Apple doesn't allow it, doesn't mean everything else has to follow their standard. The church of Apple, I swear to God. Or should I say Jobs.
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:36 PM   #80
canman4PM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaternio View Post
I don't mean to hate, but complaining about the 19MP limit for an iPad is ridiculous. If you are going to complain from a professional standpoint, complain that RAW isn't supported. But for me, the iPad still has a LONG way to go to be any sort of a replacement for a computer in my profession of photography, and it has nothing to do with the 19MP limit (and yet, I'm typing from my iPad 2 right now).

Also, I wouldn't expect to see an iOS Aperure for at least 2 years.
Exactly. Keep in mind this isn't meant for professionals. The hardware ain't there yet. Also keep in mind it's the first version of the software. I'm sure future versions will advance. Apple's kinda know for that too.
canman4PM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:58 PM   #81
Finkille
macrumors newbie

19MP and no RAW limitation on new iPad? Snapseed on iPad 2 does it today

To all who state this limitation is obvious. My current setup while traveling is 5DMK II (21MP), cf reader for iPad and Snapseed for editing. I backup photos and view on iPad 2, Snapseed for editing and then either create real postcards with a 3rd App (Sweden only forthright one I use) or as more common use Wordpress for blogging with images. This allows me to leave laptops at home while on vacation which is great.

iPhoto looks great but a lot of other DSLR users will not be able to use it. And no, I am not a professional.
Finkille is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:02 AM   #82
Fandongo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman4PM View Post
Ya, but I see you have a Quad-Core MBP and a fairly high-end camera. What the hell are you doing your editing on an iPad for? If you're just doing short and dirty edits, or playing with "non-important" photos for uploading to whatever (fb, twitter, etc), who cares if the iPad de-scales them to 19MP? As another reader said: are you gonna try to Airprint a billboard from an iPad? Or fully Photoshop a pic on an iPad just to add it to your fb page? No, your gonna open a real computer to do real computing - your gonna use that MBP you paid 2.5-3 Grand for, not your thousand dollar iPad.
True, and as many have said, the only thing that's really important for "pros" is Raw support...with the Adobe software--Photoshop Touch.

People will demystify its insides soon, and we all can't wait for Blendtec to turn it into hot goo.

Quad core is a step in the right direction, but for hungry apps, the biggest limitation is certainly Ram. 1GB is nowhere near enough for professional applications in photo/video land.

This is what Curves was made for--Physically bending contrast/color etc. to your will. Sure as hell beats click and drag.

The iPad3 as a controller for Photoshop on an MBP/iMac rather than an all out replacement, I'd settle for that.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:40 AM   #83
srikz
macrumors newbie

Smile Install iPhoto app on iPad 1!

Here’s a tutorial on how to install iPhoto app on iPad 1 ! Yes it is possible and it works perfectly fine. http://bit.ly/yFODTJ
srikz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:50 AM   #84
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
[QUOTE=canman4PM;14461429]Ya, but I see you have a Quad-Core MBP and a fairly high-end camera. What the hell are you doing your editing on an iPad for? If you're just doing short and dirty edits, or playing with "non-important" photos for uploading to whatever (fb, twitter, etc), who cares if the iPad de-scales them to 19MP? As another reader said: are you gonna try to Airprint a billboard from an iPad? Or fully Photoshop a pic on an iPad just to add it to your fb page? No, your gonna open a real computer to do real computing - your gonna use that MBP you paid 2.5-3 Grand for, not your thousand dollar iPad.[COLOR="#808080"]

As I explained it would be nice to do some work while on the road and not to bring the laptop.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #85
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkille View Post
To all who state this limitation is obvious. My current setup while traveling is 5DMK II (21MP), cf reader for iPad and Snapseed for editing. I backup photos and view on iPad 2, Snapseed for editing and then either create real postcards with a 3rd App (Sweden only forthright one I use) or as more common use Wordpress for blogging with images. This allows me to leave laptops at home while on vacation which is great.

iPhoto looks great but a lot of other DSLR users will not be able to use it. And no, I am not a professional.
Snapseed just accepts 16MP images.

As for RAW, how does Snapseed handles it? Does it creates a JPEG version of the photo?
HarryPot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:45 AM   #86
Finkille
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPot View Post
Snapseed just accepts 16MP images.

As for RAW, how does Snapseed handles it? Does it creates a JPEG version of the photo?
Snapseed accepts larger than 16MP, but downsamples when saving. You can in other words open photos shot by e.g. 5D MK II and work with them but scales down (unless you haven't cropped away pixels enough already). No additional JPEG is created, that said the RAW conversion is rather basic and not in the same league as e.g. Aperture or Lightroom.
Finkille is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:26 AM   #87
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikz View Post
Here’s a tutorial on how to install iPhoto app on iPad 1 ! Yes it is possible and it works perfectly fine. http://bit.ly/yFODTJ
That worked pretty well for me! I like a lot of the of the features (especially Photo Journals, almost replaces MobileMe galleries). I hope they bring over a lot of these changes to iPhoto on the Mac. If so I'll dust off my Magic Trackpad and give it a go!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:48 PM   #88
canman4PM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandongo View Post
The iPad3 as a controller for Photoshop on an MBP/iMac rather than an all out replacement, I'd settle for that.
Or how 'bout using the iPad as the display (with it's 478,000,000,000,000 pixels) for editing with the Book/Mac...?
canman4PM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:40 AM   #89
Fandongo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman4PM View Post
Or how 'bout using the iPad as the display (with it's 478,000,000,000,000 pixels) for editing with the Book/Mac...?
I'd rather use a 30" retina iMac.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:08 PM   #90
ToddJ
macrumors 6502

if I were to add a caption to a Photo Stream photo, would it transfer to the same photo on the Photo Stream on my computer's iPhoto? I'm trying to find a better way to organize the photos on my Photo Stream using my iPhone.
ToddJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:59 PM   #91
Benson11
Banned

That is really a fascinating offer and seems it's gonna be awesome.. just waited for such features. Thanks for informing us!

Last edited by Benson11; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Benson11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:15 PM   #92
canman4PM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandongo View Post
I'd rather use a 30" retina iMac.
mmmm....

...30" iMac with retina display...
canman4PM is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion