Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I think Manning would be more a pain in the arse to the Patriots in Miami than NY, so I'd rather he didn't go to the Dolphins. Either way, I can imagine the enormous chip he's going to have on his shoulder this season, should actually be fun to watch.

The only thing I was worried about was the nerve regeneration, but reports are it's already healed to a point where he can throw with distance and velocity, so I can imagine he'll be back at an acceptable level physically.

The NFL is the only league where I'm all about players getting as much money as they can as quickly as they can. It's a dangerous sport and teams are ruthless about getting rid of a player when injuries strike.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Peyton Manning appears to be meeting with John Elway in Denver tonight.

Sources say the Jets are out of it (Thank God) and it's down to Miami, Denver, and Arizona.

Anywhere but Miami (or NY)! Would really suck having to face Manning and Tom Brady-Bundchen twice a year.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
not being a hater but I personally think we've seen the last superbowl with a Manning for a very long time

Says the guy whose Packers got put out of the playoffs by Eli. Saying "not being a hater" doesn't make it true. ;) :D

This Denver talk is really interesting. Hmm... I don't know what to think about about that.

Miami is looking more and more like a good fit since it is possible that Wayne could follow him there. The key question is how will Manning handle a diva receiver like Brandon Marshall? Having had Harrison and Wayne his whole career Peyton has not had to deal with too much WR drama.

I still think Arizona could also be a positive landing spot. Manning to Fitzgerald would be pretty awesome. The Cardinals could be a real contender in their division with a strong QB like Peyton.

I think the debate is which QB is the greater risk Manning or Flynn? It's a classic dilemma, proven veteran with injury risk vs. unproven up and coming player who has shown flashes of greatness.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Why does prefacing a comment always end up meaning the comment is the opposite of what people 'intend'. "All due respect", "I'm not racist, but", and "Not being a hater" all spring to mind...

Just heard on Twitter that Jacobs isn't returning to the Giants. Can't say I'm surprised by that.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just heard on Twitter that Jacobs isn't returning to the Giants. Can't say I'm surprised by that.

I know they've had their troubles, but I thought he had a pretty good year. His size and strength make him a valuable part of a RB committee. He will never be a feature back. It will be interesting to see where he lands or if this means retirement. I'd say being a two time Superbowl champ is not too bad of an NFL career.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I wasn't surprised because he needs his payday. Giants couldn't afford to pay his bonuses or the salary he wants and he's at the age where loyalty and restructuring a deal is a bad idea for him.

Hopefully he'll get a good deal outside NFC East, he is a really great running back when behind a great o-line. Ours wasn't very good last season.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Damn, they're like an expansion team.

The Indianapolis Colts' makeover continues.

Kuharsky: Titans need Freeney
If the Colts are really taking calls on Dwight Freeney, the Titans should pick up the phone, writes Paul Kuharsky. Blog
• Possible destinations
• AFC South blog

The Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Colts also released halfback Joseph Addai, tight end Dallas Clark, safety Melvin Bullitt, linebacker Gary Brackett and quarterback Curtis Painter.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Active night for a few NFL teams:

Redskins Acquire #2 Pick

In a pre-draft blockbuster trade, the St. Louis Rams have agreed in principle to send the second overall pick in this year's draft to the Washington Redskins for three first-round draft picks and a second-round pick, according to a source in Cleveland familiar with the terms of the deal.

Even if RG3 becomes what they think he'll be, that's a heavy price to pay. I think the Rams got the better end of the deal, by far. 3 first rounders and a second rounder. Wow.

And the Jets and Mark Sanchez have agreed to a 3 year contract extension (5 years now left on his contract). And in other news, AFC defenses rejoice. ;)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Even if RG3 becomes what they think he'll be, that's a heavy price to pay. I think the Rams got the better end of the deal, by far. 3 first rounders and a second rounder. Wow.

I agree, that is a pretty steep price to pay for an unproven player. It reminds me of how the Raiders sold the farm to get Palmer when Campbell went down.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Given the Redskins draft history I don't think it's a high price to pay at all. Out of their last 10 picks, only Brian Orakpo has really established himself as a star player.

Right now RG3 hasn't played 1 down in the NFL - I don't think anyone is expecting a flameout like JaMarcus Russell - but 3 1st rounders and 1 2nd rounder? The Rams got a hell of a deal. Maybe after 4 or 5 superstar seasons they'll compare it to the Herschel Walker trade - but right now it just seems like a hell of a lot.

Time will tell.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Right now RG3 hasn't played 1 down in the NFL - I don't think anyone is expecting a flameout like JaMarcus Russell - but 3 1st rounders and 1 2nd rounder? The Rams got a hell of a deal. Maybe after 4 or 5 superstar seasons they'll compare it to the Herschel Walker trade - but right now it just seems like a hell of a lot.

Time will tell.

Sure, right now it seems like a lot. As much as I think Dan Snyder is a complete idiot, I will give him credit for putting his money where is mouth is. That guy is definitely not afraid to make a splash to do what he thinks will help his team.

If only certain other owners would do the same... the league would be a lot more interesting.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Sure, right now it seems like a lot. As much as I think Dan Snyder is a complete idiot, I will give him credit for putting his money where is mouth is. That guy is definitely not afraid to make a splash to do what he thinks will help his team.

If only certain other owners would do the same... the league would be a lot more interesting.

His problem is that while he puts his money where his mouth is - his decision making has been laughable. It's not about how much you spend, it's about how smartly you spend it. And he has just been throwing money away for years. I get that he's willing to take a chance - and hopefully for his fan base this is the first time he gets one right.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
And the Jets and Mark Sanchez have agreed to a 3 year contract extension (5 years now left on his contract). And in other news, AFC defenses rejoice. ;)

wait, are you serious? they really extended sanchez?

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Says the guy whose Packers got put out of the playoffs by Eli. Saying "not being a hater" doesn't make it true. ;) :D

This Denver talk is really interesting. Hmm... I don't know what to think about about that.

Miami is looking more and more like a good fit since it is possible that Wayne could follow him there. The key question is how will Manning handle a diva receiver like Brandon Marshall? Having had Harrison and Wayne his whole career Peyton has not had to deal with too much WR drama.

I still think Arizona could also be a positive landing spot. Manning to Fitzgerald would be pretty awesome. The Cardinals could be a real contender in their division with a strong QB like Peyton.

I think the debate is which QB is the greater risk Manning or Flynn? It's a classic dilemma, proven veteran with injury risk vs. unproven up and coming player who has shown flashes of greatness.

If Manning goes to Miami, you will see a new Marshall. He will understand that once practice is over, its not time to go home, because he will have to spend another hour with Peyton running routes, talking, etc. The best thing for Marshall would be Peyton being signed.

Im actually thinking that KC is the front runner for Peyton, even though I WANT him in Miami. KC has a boat load of money to spend, have a great RB, TE, and pair of WRs, and have enough money to go out and sign Wayne, Saturday, and even Mario Williams if they wanted. They can do whatever Peyton wants. But while I think they are the front runner, I still think he ends up in Miami.

Active night for a few NFL teams:

Redskins Acquire #2 Pick

Snyder strikes again...MORON!

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
The Redskins move for RG3 while certainly flamboyant and putting money where mouth is, has not really been thought through. It would be fine if the Redskins were a QB away from being a consistent winning team but they are far away from that.

What this move may ultimately end up doing in the short term is to effectively cripple the team from bringing in any kind of fresh talent to build a team around RG3 which is essential with this type of QB talent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.