Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefek99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I just bought a boxed iPhone 4S on eBay.

Unfortunately I cannot use is out of the box bacause it is not activated and locked to Telenor Norway.

I tried using Absinthe but it doesn't allow me to jailbreak unless it is already activated.

There are many services across the internet for unlocking 4S even on eBay:
"MAKE SURE THE PHONE IS FROM NETCOM/TELENOR AND THAT IT ISN'T BLACKLISTED"

How do I make sure my iDevice isn't blacklisted? I am ready to spend extra few bucks as I got this phone for cheap... (you get always what you pay for, too much hassle enabling it)

How do they - http://www.hackint0sh.org/f297/359518.htm - state that 4S is not jailbreakable nor unlockable?

I used TinyUmbrella to learn more about the device: it runs iOS 5.0.1b MD239KN/D

Generally - how do I make device fully operational?
Thanks for help!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Try to get a microsim from NETCOM/TELENOR.

prepaid should do as well

Insert sim and connect to itunes, the phone should activate.You should be able to make calls from with that sim.

After that run absinthe to jailbreak.

At present there is no software unlock for the 4S, 1 or 2 solutions look like they might work, a SIM interposer, which would allow you to use any sim from any provider.

stefek99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
is the phone locked or unlocked and what carrier was it locked to if is? when you plug it into Itunes what does it say?

When plugging to iTunes: "does not appear to be valid"

Lock / Unlock - Telenor Norway - trying to get it operational to any network...

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
When plugging to iTunes: "does not appear to be valid"

Lock / Unlock - Telenor Norway - trying to get it operational to any network...

what network was it on? how do you buy a iphone off ebay and not even care if it's unlocked or not and what carrier it was on.. doesn't seem like the best idea to me. contact the seller and ask them. ;)

stefek99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
what network was it on?

Telenor. Or am I missing the substantial part of your question? This iPhone was originally boxed and foiled, with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor sticker and barcode on it.

how do you buy a iphone off ebay and not even care if it's unlocked or not and what carrier it was on.. doesn't seem like the best idea to me. contact the seller and ask them. ;)

It was in description: "has simlock". I asked them whether it is possible to unlock. Of course YES: "we don't do it because we leave it to our customers to decide what they want to do" Besides - ages ago I successfully removed simlock from some other iPhone and wasn't aware that nowadays it is such a complicated process :(

(my GF seeing me worried already got another eBay purchase for unlocking, hope my 4S is not blacklisted/stolen/whatever and the activation will go through)

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.