Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Has anyone got any ideas of how fast the new iPad will sell out on the 16th?
I'm considering getting in around 11amish?
What are the queues normally like if anyone knows?
Looking to get a white 32gb wifi model :)

karaduman

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
That is something I am curious about as well. The people who queued last year (from early morning), did they manage to get one eventually on the day?
I am thinking of an 8am start.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I think with the iPad 2, London stores were running out of models after only a few hours.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
The Regent Store Street is a cesspool for campers, scalpers and general queuer. I would avoid it.

Last year I bought my iPad 2 exactly one month after launch at the store. I showed up about 10min before the store opened but yet there were already 8 people there! Luckily the store had about 36 iPad's in stock, all which probably ran out by lunch time.

I would try the Apple Store in Westfield Stratford, which is a mere 15min away by tube or any other retailer for that matter that is not within 10minute walking distance from the Regent Store.

Avoid it and get your iPad elsewhere.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
The Regent Store Street is a cesspool for campers, scalpers and general queuer. I would avoid it.

Last year I bought my iPad 2 exactly one month after launch at the store. I showed up about 10min before the store opened but yet there were already 8 people there! Luckily the store had about 36 iPad's in stock, all which probably ran out by lunch time.

I would try the Apple Store in Westfield Stratford, which is a mere 15min away by tube or any other retailer for that matter that is not within 10minute walking distance from the Regent Store.

Avoid it and get your iPad elsewhere.

Yeah I was considering the Westfield store, or the Covent Garden store, just because its the largest.
I live in Hatfield, is there another less popular one near?
Thanks

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Yeah I was considering the Westfield store, or the Covent Garden store, just because its the largest.
I live in Hatfield, is there another less popular one near?
Thanks

The Convent Garden store is an a very touristy area that will be flocked but tourist lined up to pick up an iPad paid for by an undervalued pound.

The Westfield Stratford store or Westfield Shepards Bush store, both of which are on the central line and within 15min by tube from Oxford Circus. Further more they are malls with Micro Anvika and other gadget stores door to door should the Apple Stores be over crowded.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
The Convent Garden store is an a very touristy area that will be flocked but tourist lined up to pick up an iPad paid for by an undervalued pound.

The Westfield Stratford store or Westfield Shepards Bush store, both of which are on the central line and within 15min by tube from Oxford Circus. Further more they are malls with Micro Anvika and other gadget stores door to door should the Apple Stores be over crowded.

So you'd recommend the Westfield store?
I'm thinking I'll go there, and if not I'll order one online, thats what I'm thinking at least.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
^^
Yeah, The Apple store in the Westfield Centres. You will have least competition in Westfield Stratford.

karaduman

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
I just saw two people queuing for the iPad in Regent street already. And I also found out that they have been there since two days ago :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jkh13

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Is it likely there will be any left by 1pm if I go to Westfield in White city/Shepards bush? I am busy from 9-12 on the friday but I really want to pick one up :(. If I turn up at 8 is it realistic to think I might be finished paying and on my way by 8:30?

Tipsee63

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
East London, UK
I was thinking to go to Stratford Westfield before I pre-ordered my iPad but if you’re thinking to go there, I personally wouldn’t. I live 5 minutes away and even though it opened a few months ago, EVERYTIME I go there its PACKED! Especially the Apple store! The pros are that its inside, but even when I went out there for Christmas sales the queues for some shops (especially the Next sale) were horrendous! I also think it’ll probably have a load of stock because it’s such a big, new store.

If it’s not too inconvenient I would suggest going to the Apple store in Reading (The Oracle). When I’ve been on a Saturday PM it’s not too busy.

I also use Genius bar appointments for iPhones as an indicator as to how busy a store is (sounds kinda dumb) but there’s like a 1 week wait for an appointment at Stratford Westfield and Reading usually have next day appointments.

Hope this helps! ;)

Beasty34

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Nottingham, UK.
Pretty much everywhere, it's gonna be hot...

By that I mean it is going to be madness everywhere, you might be better off heading to a DSG group store for your best chance of buying, I know people who walked in and were out again within 15 mins on launch day and the day after, demand is likely to be stepped up again this year though.

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Is it likely there will be any left by 1pm if I go to Westfield in White city/Shepards bush? I am busy from 9-12 on the friday but I really want to pick one up :(. If I turn up at 8 is it realistic to think I might be finished paying and on my way by 8:30?

No, to be honest. I queued from 1.30am in Exeter an it still took a good 10 - 15 minutes after opening for me to be done. I'd suggest that if you turn up at 8, you'll be queuing for a good hour or so and be unable to be choosey about which model and colour you get.

As has been said, you might well be better off chancing your hand at a non-Apple store and as when it becomes apparent whether they'll have stock on launch day.

Digitaljim

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Diveflo said:
Anyone at the Stratford store? How's the queue? Thanks!

It's well over 300 long now

meduk1

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Just been to Oxford St. Went to JL in order to get the 2 year warranty and there were no queues and plenty of stock of all models.

Could see the regent st store from where I was and no queue outside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.