Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Is anyone else having this issue? Set automatically works fine in my iPad but on my iPhone, it's displaying a time two hours late.

ehomer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
verizon iphone dst setting

I have a Verizon iphone & it rolled back an hour at midnight instead of springing forward an hour at 2am. I am in the SF Bay area. If I turn off "set automatically" it switches to the correct time. They had this problem last year & it is the first time it's happened to me (have had iphones on both att & verizon) - I'm astonished they haven't straightened this out.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Turn it off. Networks are very poor at updating the time!

Sone3D

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Battery drainer. I turned it off.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Battery drainer. I turned it off.

Just curious, how much drain on the battery can displaying the time cause?

Mine's fine...displaying the correct time.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's not a battery drainer as the time signal is embedded in the networks signal.

However the automatically set time zone in the location services does drain the battery as it uses gps to adjust your time some etc.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just curious, how much drain on the battery can displaying the time cause?

Mine's fine...displaying the correct time.

Let's be clear. There are two time settings.

Settings/General/Date & Time/Set Automatically

will not drain any battery. This is really all you need on.

In Settings/Location Services/System Services/Setting Time Zone

You really don't need on, unless you are outside of cellular coverage (or some odd carrier that doesn't send time signals to the phone, rare). This will drain battery life as it uses the phones GPS system.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
My complaint is that Set Automatically should be correct no matter what. You know when you turn it on, it sets a location for you. Unfortunately for me, the default location it sets (and greyed out so I can't change it), is a location 1 time zone left of me. So it's an hour behind. I know I can just set the time manually, but obviously I'm bothered that it isn't working correctly.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
My complaint is that Set Automatically should be correct no matter what. You know when you turn it on, it sets a location for you. Unfortunately for me, the default location it sets (and greyed out so I can't change it), is a location 1 time zone left of me. So it's an hour behind. I know I can just set the time manually, but obviously I'm bothered that it isn't working correctly.

That doesn't matter. But you can change it by turning off, set automatically. It will become ungreyed, and the set it, and turn set time & date back to automatically.

The time is set by the carrier towers regardless of that setting. Try the above. If that doesn't work call your carrier. Which do you have Att or Verizon? Also is your iPad on wifi or 3G?

P.S. Mine is set to NY. I turned it off, set it to LA. Time changed to 3 hours earlier. Turned auto back on and it reset to NY, with NY time. That is how it works. I have the GPS set time zone off, btw, in location settings. that is not needed.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
My alarm woke me up at the correct time this morning and the lock screen showed the right time, but when I unlocked the phone it was still an hour behind.

It automatically fixed itself though within an hour.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
That doesn't matter. But you can change it by turning off, set automatically. It will become ungreyed, and the set it, and turn set time & date back to automatically.

It doesn't work that way. The grey is where it thinks your phone is; you can't set that. In my case, the place where it thinks I am is wrong.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Had the same problem this morning. I'm in Los Angeles and have it set automatically. For some reason it says I'm in anchorage Alaska, so I turn off set automatically and can choose Los Angeles and the time is correct, but when I turn set auto back on it goes back to anchorage. A reboot of my iPhone 4s solved it. Good thing I had no alarms set this Sunday morning!

jkeith0919

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Mine was wrong today too. I'm in AZ so it shouldn't have changed at all. I went into Date & Time & it was set to Denver. Turning off Set Automatically switched it to Phoenix, I didn't have to manually change it.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
jkeith0919

I'm in Phx also and mine says Cupertino, I did a reset and turned off and set manually to phx and then turned it back on and still thinks I'm in Cupertino. oh well as long as the time is right I'm good.

Phoenixian

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in Phoenix too!

In the middle of the night, Saturday to Sunday, I awoke and the three clocks in my bedroom all differed in display.

I checked the phone and discovered that Cupertino showed as my location.

Turning off the automatic time option it too returned to Phoenix.

I stopped at the Apple store on Sunday and showed this anomaly to a Genius. His phone did exactly the same thing (showed Cupertino).

He said he'd report it to Apple.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
My 4S on 5.0.1 did the same thing. I live in Vermont and had automatically adjust time enabled and during the night it switched my timezone to Chicago. Turning off the automatic setting put things right.

Perhaps it sensed my preference for location?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.