Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

Help me setup a VPN

Hey all,

I'd like to setup a VPN on my Mac Mini Server so I can access my home network shares while i am at the office. So far, I've enabled the VPN service on the server, but when I try to save my configuration it goes into a loop where it says to enter a hostname. I have made sure the hostname is entered, I read a thread where someone had the identical problem, They solved it by changing the private network hostname to server.mycompany.private for example.

I tried what the other thread said, and I am still getting this repeated prompt for a hostname that already been entered.

A little bit of background info, I also host a game server for Minecraft on the same machine, it's using a static IP of xxx.xxx.1.80 with DynDNS for the game sever. I understand I can use the same Dynamic address for the VPN too?

I haven't yet forwarded the port(s), I am unsure exactly what ports need to be forwarded, so far the only one I know is 1700 UDP or something in that range.

Could someone please help me get this set up, I'd gladly give remote access to anyone willing to take the time!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
StevenMeyer
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to StevenMeyer Send a message via Skype™ to StevenMeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhelsdon View Post
Hey all,

I'd like to setup a VPN on my Mac Mini Server so I can access my home network shares while i am at the office. So far, I've enabled the VPN service on the server, but when I try to save my configuration it goes into a loop where it says to enter a hostname. I have made sure the hostname is entered, I read a thread where someone had the identical problem, They solved it by changing the private network hostname to server.mycompany.private for example.

I tried what the other thread said, and I am still getting this repeated prompt for a hostname that already been entered.

A little bit of background info, I also host a game server for Minecraft on the same machine, it's using a static IP of xxx.xxx.1.80 with DynDNS for the game sever. I understand I can use the same Dynamic address for the VPN too?

I haven't yet forwarded the port(s), I am unsure exactly what ports need to be forwarded, so far the only one I know is 1700 UDP or something in that range.

Could someone please help me get this set up, I'd gladly give remote access to anyone willing to take the time!
Can you post a screenshot or log? Also please post your servers DNS settings.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking