Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It runs Lion well. Speaking of which...does anybody have any idea of the next animal Apple will have? I think they've run out of cats!

The next Mac OS X version will be named after the leanest, smallest cat there is, Mac OS X House Cat.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I sold my 2.2 ghz 8 gb ram 320 gb 7200 rpm hd black mackbook for 400 usd. i should have kept it. using a mac pro now with a black case on it. still miss it though it ran great. shouldnt have sold it so cheap but i was desperate for money.

Croox

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Chicago Illinois
I've got an early 08 2.4 blackbook, got it for a killer deal after my pc blew up. upgraded the ram to 4gb and put in a 750gb hard drive. great little machine!

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328248687.623151.jpg

Finally installed snow leopard on this machine, with no problems. It now runs like a dream, better than leopard :)

blackbookie

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
you can tell by my username!
i've had it for a long while now. Only problems are its a bit slow now (i've put snow leopard but i think the problem was from even before installing SL) and since i opened it up a while back for cleaning and a change of thermal paste a part of it near the edge to the right of the trackpad has cracked.

My worst problem yet is the display which suddenly stopped working (stuck on very low brightness setting) which i just posted a thread about asking for help.

:apple:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Posted a new topic, but I figured I might get some more insight here.

Looking at picking up a black MacBook to replace my 1.83 Intel Mac Mini with 2gb of ram. I don't use my computers much as most of my needs are met by the iPad. Also, I have an HP laptop, but I have given it to my parents.

Anyway, I found a BlackBook on Craigslist. The battery is totally dead an it has the notorious palm rest crack. I would really only be using it at my desk, so I don't need to replace the battery right away and I know Apple will repair the crack.

Here are the specs:
"Core 2 Duo" 2.2GHz Processor, 13" Display Glossy, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive

The seller wants $300 but told me he is flexible.

This would be my first MacBook and my second Mac. I'm just curious how these are holding up to usage today. I don't need, nor can I afford a new MacBook so this seems like a good fit. I just want to make sure it will be enough of an upgrade over my Mini to make it worthwhile.

Thanks everyone!
a6cd0a4f-7c3a-a67c.jpg

a6cd0a4f-7c63-e82e.jpg

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Anyone upgraded from 2gb to 4gb RAM for Lion?

I lost my old Macrumors ID etc so decided this was the time to pick a new name and I chose it in honour of this great old machine.

In the 5 years I've had the black Macbook, I've only seen two others. I love it, and yes it looks good, but its value is chiefly in that it hasn't given me a single problem in the years I've had it.

Mine is running Lion, but it only has 2 gb ram. Anyone upgraded to 4 (mine will only use 3gb though..) and noticed a difference from 2gb? It runs ok, not as fast as SL though and struggles with multiple things running.

BTW, it plays Minecraft ok, which I didn't expect on an old system (Intel GMA 950).

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Just got me an phenomenal deal again!

Today I picked up a BlackBook in good condition with a logic board failure for 100 eu. I wanted to use its parts for a white "06 MacBook I wanted to mod.

The white MacBook was bought 1 week ago for, yes!, 100 eu! I only needed an new HD. I installed a Vertex 3 and 2GB (Core Duo).

As it turns out, the BlackBook actually booted to the question mark!
So, I installed the Vertex 3 into the BlackBook and it already had 4GB. I also removed the optical drive for a optibay (25 eu) w/ 500GB HD I already had.

And now it screams! Two MacBooks for as much as 250?

Also, the both have new topcases, so look new! Benefit of workin at the apple store.

kf90210

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Hi all!

I'm joining the blackbook club today as I just got one off of Kijiji for a good deal. Quick specs: CD 2.0ghz, 80gb HDD, 1gb ram.. overall its in decent shape.

My MBP's GPU died on me so I was in need of a temporary laptop and happened to luck into a rare black MacBook. :)

Regarding the replacement of the topcase.. I was wondering if the Apple Store would do it if the trackpad has lost its smooth coating. It has become really grippy and less smooth as a result of usage over time I suppose... but would they replace the topcase in such an instance or is it only when there are cracks/chips?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Regarding the replacement of the topcase.. I was wondering if the Apple Store would do it if the trackpad has lost it's smooth coating. It has become really grippy and less smooth as a result of usage over time I suppose... but would they replace the topcase in such an instance or is it only when there are cracks/chips?

They will replace it for free only if there are cracks on the edges. Anything else, would cost money. There was a company that made skins to go on the trackpad to make it feel new again. I believe the company was named PowerSupport. I used one of these skins for two years, worked really well. Another thing I read about was that people gently sand their trackpad to rough it up again. I have never done this to a Macbook, but it worked on older Dells.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I still have my 2008 C2D 2.4GHZ 4GB 320GB. It will be going on a year soon since I bought it from someone. The battery started to swell and affect the track pad so I had to take out the battery till I can buy a new one.

I tried selling it back in January. Actually had an offer for my asking price of $550 but when the meeting day came, I couldn't part with my dear friend.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Is this the elusive crack everyone is talking about? If so, when I take it to the Genius bar, what do I tell them? And also, how long will it take to replace?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331589543.979015.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331589543.979015.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 176

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes that is the crack. Just point to the crack and ask them if it's fixable. They'll say yes and that Apple is offering an extended out of warranty repair on it. They'll fix it for free and it'll take about 3-4 days because they'll have to order the part.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Still going black here!

Runs pretty good on Lion, and I have the original HD

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
Back in 2007 I'd wish to get one of these black beauties, but not enough money.

Ever since I like the original Apple-Command-Key.

Now I am a proud owner of the Early 2011 Mbp 13 (my first Mac).
Now my question to all the Blackbook users who also have an aluminium Macbook:
I found someone on the internet who sells Blackbookkeyes.
Does it makes sense to change the command key with an old Blackbook Applekey? Does it have the same size as well as the same "look and feel" as the current command key?

Thanks for your help and have fun with your Blackbooks.

San

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I found someone on the internet who sells Blackbookkeyes.
Does it makes sense to change the command key with an old Blackbook Applekey? Does it have the same size as well as the same "look and feel" as the current command key?

They feel the same, but the Blackbook keys aren't clear for the backlighting.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Well, my baby is in the shop for a few days. They told me it was one of the nicest MacBooks they've seen in a long time.

I also asked them to clean the dust out of it. Should be running like a champ by the time I pick it up.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Well, I got her back today and it looks like they replaced the top-case, keyboard, and trackpad. It looks beautiful. Very happy boy.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
I still have my white 2009 A1181, and it works great. Just watch out for cracks in the body, or top case. Tops case will be replaced for free regardless of warranty. The outer case, not so much.

My suggestions for you:
Get a Zagg cover
or Speck cover
or Hard case cover

To protect it from more cracks. The Black and White's are prone to body wear.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Don't think I ever posted pictures of my 2008 2.4GHZ black MB before. Looks nearly perfect on the case with only a minor scratch on the front. Inside os great too with only minor trackpad wear. No cracks anywhere on the palm rests where the top case touches when closed. On the top picture that looks like a bad scratch on top but it really is a minor one. My 4S used flash on that pic so really stands out.

Attachments

• photo 1-6.JPG
    photo 1-6.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 209
  • photo 2-4.JPG
    photo 2-4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 193
  • photo 3-4.JPG
    photo 3-4.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 178
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:

richardrblc

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
2008 blackbook

still running just like the day i unboxed it no problems with lion or anything i have done with it

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I'm jealous of all of you, even though I am running a 2010 MBA. The black Macbooks were ultra sexy machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.