Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercury66

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Houston, TX
We have been having a lot of problems with my wife's Fuelband. Not pairing, not connecting, etc.

I think it needs that firmware update, so I wont call it quits yet, but it has been somewhat frustrating.

Firmware update from a few days ago fixed my BT sync problems.

MS

hussamoueini

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
When you push and hold the button on the fuel band to make it flash, release and hit the button once more to enter to pairing mode. Mine didn't show up until I followed that last step. Works fine on mine.

Yes I keep holding the button till the bluetooth sign appears, then release and press again so that the logo starts flashing. Is that what you meant?

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I am still confused about this product. I know the band tracks calories used during the day, steps, fuel and it can be used as a watch. I am confused because I do not understand fuel. What is it? I get that it is a point system that Nike created but what are the different components of this point system that creates this number? Also, how is it used and what is it useful for?

I am also wondering how accurate the calorie counter is. I work in retail so I am not very active. I am usually standing at a cash register or on the phone ordering merchandise. I read that someone with a similar job recorded 800 calories during 4 hour shift. This does not sound right. Are the calories based off of your height and weight?

Sorry for so many questions. I wish I could find an in-depth review on YouTube but everything is un-boxing and “general” information.

mercury66

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Houston, TX
I am still confused about this product. I know the band tracks calories used during the day, steps, fuel and it can be used as a watch. I am confused because I do not understand fuel. What is it? I get that it is a point system that Nike created but what are the different components of this point system that creates this number? Also, how is it used and what is it useful for?

I am also wondering how accurate the calorie counter is. I work in retail so I am not very active. I am usually standing at a cash register or on the phone ordering merchandise. I read that someone with a similar job recorded 800 calories during 4 hour shift. This does not sound right. Are the calories based off of your height and weight?

Sorry for so many questions. I wish I could find an in-depth review on YouTube but everything is un-boxing and “general” information.

Here is a good review. http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/8/2853088/nike-fuelband-review

Looks like the iPhone App was just updated to enable more integration with Facebook. Unfortunately, I don't have any Facebook friends using Nike Fuel Band yet :(

MS

PrimeTime666

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I got my Fuel band last week... I was all excited, plugged it in and my computer didn't recognize it... not good... I got a bad one... in fairness Nike sent me a new replacement in 2 days when they said it would take a week.

Here's my review... Overall the Nike Fuel band is awesome... I did have some issues with the spacer locking in and also it's opened up on me a couple of times without me knowing... not a big deal because even open, there's pretty much no way it's falling off... anyone else experience this?

I love the Fuel idea, it's extremely accurate, however if you are on a bike at the gym it's not going to register much action unless you swing your arms back and forth, which would probably look really weird... but I did think about it :p

Works great on treadmills and elliptical machines...

Not sure how accurate the steps feature is and certainly the calorie burning, as any other device is an estimate...

If for nothing else, the Fuel band is an awesome motivational device and for that alone it's worth the $150

jmp8380

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Can anyone answer a few questions?

Just got a fuelband, and was wondering if anyone could maybe help me with a few questions.

1- how stable is the aluminum clasp supposed to be? I've noticed it wiggles up and down slightly when the USB connector isn't inserted. Its not a big deal, just wondering if its normal. I also notice a small gap between the clasp and the USB connector when it's clasped shut. it can move in and out very slightly when it's inserted into the clasp. Anyone else have this? Again, it's not a big deal, just curious.

2- How snug is it supposed to be on your wrist?

Thanks in advance!

PrimeTime666

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
That sounds about right what you are saying about the silver connector... I have mine fitting fairly snug but not as tight as a watch, there's a little play in it.

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Just got a fuelband, and was wondering if anyone could maybe help me with a few questions.

1- how stable is the aluminum clasp supposed to be? I've noticed it wiggles up and down slightly when the USB connector isn't inserted. Its not a big deal, just wondering if its normal. I also notice a small gap between the clasp and the USB connector when it's clasped shut. it can move in and out very slightly when it's inserted into the clasp. Anyone else have this? Again, it's not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks in advance!

1- I dont use the base part of the connector and just plug the band hanging on the usb cord and it fits perfectly but I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

2- I had a medium band and it was pretty loose where if I raised my arm up vertically, the band would drop 1.5 - 2" down (no extensions in). I then bought a small band and it fits great and only drops down .5" at most with the large extension in. I say if its uncomfortable to wear and its bothering you after trying both extensions given, just as the medium did for me, get a different size, otherwise if its comfortable, you're set. Just a reminder, it should be around your wrist when wearing it and not your lower arm, lol.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Thanks for your prompt response. I did call that number and their very helpful CS Rep setup a advanced replacement.

I will be getting a replacement one here in couple of days.

Thanks again.

This is just as a reference...

My initial concern was there were 2 small fine cut along both sides of the push button by the LED. I had originally thought it was "cracked" or damaged somehow but after comparing the newly replaced FuelBand, those 2 lines are designed to be there.

Just as an FYI to the new Fuel Band owner incase you flipped out like I did.

Happy Fuel Day !!!

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I just got mine today. Walked in to a nike store and quite a few sitting there.
Very excited to try it out tonight @ the gym.

stickboy2k

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
So,
I tried getting my wife’s fuelband to connect to a different machine. My machine, which is a super awesome rig, and no matter what port I plugged it into the Connect software would not recognize it. Same issue as when plugged into the other machine. So, if there is a firmware update I can’t get it on the device ‘cause it won’t connect.

Unfortunately, between the hassle of pairing and connecting it my wife said she doesn’t want it anymore. (technophobe!)

I suspect this one does have a hardware problem, and you probably won’t have an issue like mine, but there you go. I still think it is a really cool device and if it worked or works for you I wish you well!

jmp8380

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012

Thanks in advance!

Gotten one good answer.....can anyone else confirm this is normal?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Waiting for Nike to restock and then I will be picking up one of these.

I wish it were that easy. I tried the last two times they restocked and wasn't able to get one. The site slows to a crawl when they go on sale. I'll have one in my cart and proceed to checkout and it'll get stuck on processing. Then when it's finally done processing it'll say "sorry, the fuel band you selected is out of stock".

It pisses me off because both times I was at the site once they went on sale and wasn't able to get one. Nike's creating false demand by selling in "limited quantities" and only selling at one Nike store in the US. It's bull.

U must live in NYC.

Or he paid double the price on ebay.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane

1- how stable is the aluminum clasp supposed to be? I've noticed it wiggles up and down slightly when the USB connector isn't inserted. Its not a big deal, just wondering if its normal. I also notice a small gap between the clasp and the USB connector when it's clasped shut. it can move in and out very slightly when it's inserted into the clasp. Anyone else have this? Again, it's not a big deal, just curious

Thanks in advance!

- this is completely normal. I compared 2 of my Fuel Band and they do the same.

- mine moves about .5-1" up and down my wrist.

jmp8380

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
- this is completely normal. I compared 2 of my Fuel Band and they do the same.

- mine moves about .5-1" up and down my wrist.

Good to go. Thanks for the response!

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle
another batch of FuelBand was released today. I was lucky enough to pick one up for my wife. Anyone else get it ?

I placed my order about an hour ago through the nike website. Did you receive an email notification at all saying your order was processed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.