Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:24 PM   #26
mattraehl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Address issues that prevented printing U.S. Postal Service shipping labels and embedded PDFs
Finally!!!!!
mattraehl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:25 PM   #27
dakwar
macrumors 6502

Launch Safari (the old version or this new one).
Start private browsing.
Go to google images.
Search for anything (e.g. "home").
Scroll down the page. Can you still see search results?

On my system (black macbook running 10.6.8), it only returns about 15 images (what is viewable on my screen before scrolling). As well, the settings and safety button up top don't respond to clicks.

I had this problem with 5.1.2 and it seems 5.1.4 hasn't fixed it.
dakwar is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #28
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school
Was naively hoping this update would merge the search bar and address bar.
Ew, gross.

Last edited by Drunken Master; Mar 12, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Drunken Master is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #29
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

Im just waiting for the day when Safari on the Mac is the same as Safari on the iPad/iPhone.. I still don't get why this isn't possible. These mobile devices should be powerful enough by now to run it.
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:29 PM   #30
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Safari has been garbage, I have had nothing but problems and headaches with it.

I love Apple products, but I also love whatever works best. For me, Chrome has been the fastest through experience. If Safari ever surpasses Chrome, I will go back.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:31 PM   #31
5aga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
Safari has been garbage, I have had nothing but problems and headaches with it.

I love Apple products, but I also love whatever works best. For me, Chrome has been the fastest through experience. If Safari ever surpasses Chrome, I will go back.
same here. I used Safari since it was released almost a decade ago. But its really showing it age. And over the past 2 years it has really gotten bad, especially with slowdowns. Open more than 3 or 4 tabs and it crawls to a halt.

I switched to Chrome and never looked back.
5aga is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:33 PM   #32
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Thank god they finally fixed the USPS Shipping label issue - that has been driving me nuts for months.
Right there with you buddy. Absolutely frustrating.
Mike Valmike is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:34 PM   #33
Patrick J
macrumors 65816

I am sticking with 5.2, can't live without the omnibar.
Patrick J is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:35 PM   #34
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktape242 View Post
thats all well and fine BUT will this update make safari "snappier"?
Ill second that. Ever since Lion installed Safari is very sluggish. The fastest browser Im usng now is Firefox. its quicker than Chrome too. Strange turn around considering FF used to be a real resource hog. Safari hangs a lot even with this update.
CplBadboy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:37 PM   #35
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
That's new. Usually Safari updates have an update to Webkit which is used by the entire system, hence the restart requirement. Maybe this is a Safari specific update that doesn't affect Webkit?
Given the JavaScript performance increase, I'd imagine it would update WebKit.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:38 PM   #36
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
Was naively hoping this update would merge the search bar and address bar.

Nope - back to chrome.
I think that feature will be added with Mountain Lion.
8281 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:41 PM   #37
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
I've been getting the white page bug a lot - I use 5 tabs and multiple windows sometimes (usually a second Safari window for Facebook when I'm using the chat, and the original Safari window for browsing tabs).

Hopefully less beach balls too - I've had a stuttery beach ball when a website doesn't even have a single Flash element on it.
Had this issue aswell. Switched to FireFox and now all is well! Its a real shame because I used to really champion Safari to new Mac users but its all become spinny beachbally horibbly no funny to useey anymorey.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8281 View Post
I think that feature will be added with Mountain Lion.
Yep the omnibar feature will be in ML. In fact for all those on the beta its available.
CplBadboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #38
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
- Fix an issue that could make Flash content appear incomplete after using gesture zooming
Hallelujah!
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:46 PM   #39
alksion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aga View Post
same here. I used Safari since it was released almost a decade ago. But its really showing it age. And over the past 2 years it has really gotten bad, especially with slowdowns. Open more than 3 or 4 tabs and it crawls to a halt.

I switched to Chrome and never looked back.
It's cool man, I get down ranked by people who live and die by Apple. I do believe they make the best in almost every area in technology, but they're not perfect by any means.

For example, if Android got way better than iOS and Apple started making bad products, why would I want to use something inferior?

Of course that is not the case right now. I welcome all technology and like I said, I think Apple makes some of the best products to date. But sadly, safari is not currently one of them.

DOWNRANK!!!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:49 PM   #40
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
Hallelujah!
I'm still awaiting the ultimate update; "Fixed Flash (removed it)"
Lennholm is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #41
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
For example, if Android got way better than iOS and Apple started making bad products, why would I want to use something inferior?

Of course that is not the case right now. I welcome all technology and like I said, I think Apple makes some of the best products to date. But sadly, safari is not currently one of them.

DOWNRANK!!!
Personally, I like Safari a lot. Every once in a while I try out another browser for a bit, but I always go back to Safari. For me it's faster and more reliable. Just my opinion here though.

If Apple started making bad products, there are many people who would stop buying them, but that's irrelevant. That would apply to any company.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #42
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ew, gross.
Yeah, god forbid it work as well as Chrome.
CapnJackGig is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #43
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post
Apple just needs to kill this thing
You do know that Apple created WebKit (off of Konqueror, IIRC) which powers Safari, Chrome, Kindle, iOS, Android, webOS, and many other platforms, right?

Virtualball is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:58 PM   #44
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Is this the first Safari update that DOESN'T require a restart?

-Kevin
Crap there goes my "I'll upgrade later because I can't restart right now" joke WAAAAHHH!!!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:58 PM   #45
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors
- Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the "Remove All Website Data" button
I wish Chrome would fix this issue aswell. Damn bug that has existed for several years and make the browser unworkable
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #46
hamis92
macrumors 6502

I was annoyed by cookies not being available after Private Browsing. I'm glad it's fixed, sent feedback about it
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:08 PM   #47
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Honestly never had a problem with Safari. I'd like Apple to put some effort into their Extensions page though. It never seems to change.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:13 PM   #48
writingdevil
macrumors regular

I'd like to be able to get through clips online without having more stuttering than clip. Firefox often works better but Safari stu-stu-ttt-te--er-ers
writingdevil is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #49
mijail
macrumors 6502

Everyone and his dog is leaving his browser choice here, so I'll do too - but I'll qualify why, in case anyone can share any interesting datapoint.

I have been switching browsers every few months. Lately I am back to Webkit nightlies. It is the one which bests uses memory - meaning, it will scale back (or rather let itself be paged out) when not being in active use.

All of Webkit, Firefox and Chrome are nasty memory hogs, but Webkit is the best behaved in that sense. Firefox was the worst but has improved a lot (at least no longers gets to 3 GB VRAM) and with the MemShrink project they seem to be getting to a very interesting point. Still, as of 2 months ago it still caused a lot of paging even when not in use.

Chrome had its moment in the sun, but the last time I used it for long (some 6 months ago) it was unusably slow because of all the paging it caused; I had to wait tens of seconds to just open a new tab. All the hubbub about separate processes finally looks like only made it difficult to really gauge where the awful lot of memory was going.

I am referring to Chrome Devel channel, Firefox betas and Webkit nightlies, on OS X Lion, 4 GB RAM, i7 quad, traditional HD. My usage usually floats around 150 tabs with a healthy number of extensions and ad/flash/tracking blockers.
mijail is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:17 PM   #50
alksion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
Personally, I like Safari a lot. Every once in a while I try out another browser for a bit, but I always go back to Safari. For me it's faster and more reliable. Just my opinion here though.

If Apple started making bad products, there are many people who would stop buying them, but that's irrelevant. That would apply to any company.

That's fine if you like it better, I am not trying to sway anyone to Chrome. All that I'm saying is that for years I have experienced problems with Safari. Chrome has been rock solid for me. But if it works for you, even better!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion