Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Sued over 'Misleading' Advertising in Siri Depictions

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is the target of a new lawsuit from an iPhone 4S customer who claims that the company engaged in "misleading and deceptive" advertising in promoting its Siri personal assistant feature for the device. The plaintiff, Frank Fazio, alleges that Apple's depictions of Siri in its advertising suggest an ease of use that he claims is not present in real-world usage.
Quote:
Fazio claims Siri is far less responsive in real life. When he asked for directions to a certain place, or to locate a store, "Siri either did not understand what Plaintiff was asking, or, after a very long wait time, responded with the wrong answer."
The class action lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from Apple and a court order preventing Apple from engaging in any further misleading advertising related to the feature.

Apple has not responded publicly to the lawsuit, but the company has repeatedly noted on its website and elsewhere that Siri is a beta feature. While Apple rarely releases beta products to the public, it did so in the case of Siri in order to help build the library of voice input it needs to improve Siri's voice recognition capabilities. The beta label has also not stopped Apple from extensively promoting Siri, making it a key part of its iPhone 4S marketing from the iPhone 4S launch event to its website to its television advertising.

Earlier this month, Apple and Vodafone won a case in the United Kingdom in which a member of the public complained that Apple's iPhone 4S advertising in the country was misleading for its depictions of location-based services that are only available in the United States at the present time. The Advertising Standards Authority ruled in Apple's favor when it determined that Apple's UK ads did not depict Siri integration with the Maps application (a U.S.-only feature for the time being) and that Siri's ability to access a user's local weather in the UK was sufficient to satisfy Apple's claims that it can use location information to provide personal assistance.

Article Link: Apple Sued over 'Misleading' Advertising in Siri Depictions
MacRumors is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Will be interested to see how this works out. Apple does seem to be stretching it a bit with how great Siri is.

I won't say it's entirely useless, but I'll manually play the song, google the restaurant I'm looking for, etc., without waiting to see if Siri got it right.

Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Spanky Deluxe
macrumors Demi-God

Whatever happened to earning an honest living??
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

I think Apple call it "beta" for a reason.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   56 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Beta?

Isn't this software still beta?

Gary
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
johnnyrb
macrumors member

The person suing probably talks like the character "Barry Kripke" on "The Big Bang Theory". LOL
johnnyrb is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:26 PM   #7
gatearray
macrumors 65816

I heard that this guy also sued McDonald's restaurant because his Big Mac didn't look like the picture.
gatearray is offline   61 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
ABernardoJr
macrumors 6502

"Misleading"? I don't think Apple has stated the product was flawless, especially since it's been noted that it's still in beta. It may appear that way in ads, but that's for obvious reasons. Is any company going to advertise their products' occasional flaws? For some reason I don't see this lawsuit getting very far.
ABernardoJr is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:26 PM   #9
soco
macrumors Demi-God

It's unfortunate that the damages sought are unspecified.

It should be a rule of thumb that suits like this that are selfish rather than selfless (aiming to change something that's wrong with the industry, etc.) are likely to be lost.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

The "deep pockets" effect

Funny how some people claim that they want "patent reform."
I say reform the court system to throw out nuisance suits like this one.
SockRolid is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Menopause
macrumors 6502

It's called BETA for a reason for God's sake! Man I'm SICK of losers trying to leech money out of Apple at every small thing. Don't like it? Just shut up and return your phone and buy a Samsung crap that will understand what you're saying!
Menopause is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #12
cxny
macrumors 6502

"Siri is far less responsive in real life"

so is my wife
cxny is offline   124 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #13
soco
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABernardoJr View Post
"Misleading"? I don't think Apple has stated the product was flawless, especially since it's been noted that it's still in beta. It may appear that way in ads, but that's for obvious reasons. Is any company going to advertise their products' occasional flaws? For some reason I don't see this lawsuit getting very far.
You're ignoring the point of the suit. It's not a suit over whether or not states the product is in beta. It's a suit over the fact that if you don't go to the website or ask someone if it's in beta, you're led to believe, by the commercials, that it works as advertised. It does not.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Sebct
macrumors member

Pahahaha, does this person really have nothing better to do with their time?

I feel very sorry for this person.

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #15
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Search the web with Siri

My biggest Siri complaint is when she says, "I don't know that, would you like me to search the web for that?"

"Yes!!!!" of course I do, I want the answer to my question and you didn't know it, go find it! PLEASE!

Give me a checkbox to say "please always search the web for me".

Gary
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
I heard that this guy also sued McDonald's restaurant because his Big Mac didn't look like the picture.
What was the problem? It wasn't big enough?

----------------------

This is completely ridiculous. That's like me suing Apple because my computer crashed.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #17
SeniorGato1
macrumors regular

Siri is a joke. I stopped using it about a week after getting the 4S as I found it easier to just use the touchpad. All the Siri commercials are a bit stretched as well.
SeniorGato1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #18
iMaven
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
I think Apple call it "beta" for a reason.
yep!
iMaven is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #19
JesseFogarty
macrumors newbie

What a baby

Are you serious this guys complaining over Siri taking a while..... How abou those of us with an iPhone 4S outside of the states that have no location services - that's worth complaining about. A little bit of lag is nothing to get panties in a knot about.

God damn. I cant get over this fool.
JesseFogarty is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #20
bb426
macrumors 6502

Oh please.

Anything to earn a few dollars for the "damages" a BETA service did to you.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
kevinkt
macrumors 6502

awwww Booo freaking HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
kevinkt is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #22
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

If people sued every company because a product is not exactly as depicted in an advertisement then we would have lawsuits all over the place. Oh wait, that already happens.
3N16MA is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #23
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

I mean it's pretty hard to argue, watch a Siri commercial try the commands seen in the commercial. Half the time they don't even work.

Of course what company doesn't lie with advertising?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #24
samcraig
macrumors G5

Regardless of the popular opinion this message board might hold - there's truth in the complain in so far as Siri does not work like it is depicted in the commercials. Not in responses nor in speed. Whether or not that warrants a settlement is another matter just like whether or not it warrants a disclaimer (better) or an adjustment in the advertising of the feature.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:31 PM   #25
ABernardoJr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco View Post
You're ignoring the point of the suit. It's not a suit over whether or not states the product is in beta. It's a suit over the fact that if you don't go to the website or ask someone if it's in beta, you're led to believe, by the commercials, that it works as advertised. It does not.
That wasn't my main point either, that was just a side note. My point is that the product isn't perfect, obviously, but Apple is expected to advertise that the product isn't perfect? And any company is expected to do the same? I'm pretty sure not every product works "as advertised" but that basis alone is not one sufficient for suing, and that's a problem with many over-litigious people nowadays.
ABernardoJr is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion