Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intel Says Fiber Optic Thunderbolt Cables Coming Later This Year

One of the promises of Intel's Thunderbolt technology was the possibility for fiber optic cables, offering greater cable lengths and setting the stage for faster connectivity once the standard matures. But Thunderbolt launched using only traditional copper wire cables, and there has been some dispute about just how soon fiber optic cables will become available.

IDG News now reports that Intel as issued a statement indicating that it will be launching fiber optic Thunderbolt cables "later this year".
Quote:
Intel has said copper cables are adequate for data transfers over short distances of up to six meters. Optical cables will be good for data transfers over longer distances of tens of meters.

The upside to optical is that it allows for longer cable runs, and as the technology develops, more bandwidth, [Intel spokesman Dave] Salvator said in email.
The downside to fiber optic cables, however, is that devices connected using the longer fiber optic cables will require separate power cables, as running power over the cables at those distances is not currently practical. Fiber optic cables are also likely to be significantly more expensive than their copper counterparts, although Intel has not offered any guidance on pricing.

For those who already own a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac, Intel notes that the existing Thunderbolt ports will be compatible with both copper and fiber optic cables, ensuring cross-compatibility once the new cables arrive.

Just last week, Intel announced that it was working on moving Thunderbolt to the PCI Express 3.0 standard, a move that could see the company double the effective bandwidth for data transfers. The company has not, however, provided a projected timeframe for a public launch of the enhanced Thunderbolt speeds.

Article Link: Intel Says Fiber Optic Thunderbolt Cables Coming Later This Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

A longer Thunderbolt cable, exactly what I needed!

Oh wait.
pgiguere1 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Supacon
macrumors member

Awesome. I can't wait to start paying $150 each for optical Thunderbolt cables.
Supacon is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
orangezorki
macrumors 6502a

Flippin heck! I hope that's not the final design of the connector - looks like a cross between an ECG lead and a crystal model of a daddy long-legs!

David
orangezorki is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
DrFu79
macrumors member

How about making the current cables - and accessories - more affordable first before making them even more expensive? /rant
DrFu79 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Supacon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFu79 View Post
How about making the current cables - and accessories - more affordable first before making them even more expensive? /rant
That's bound to happen once PC manufacturers start putting them into their products, which should rapidly ramp up the scale and adoption of Thunderbolt. Hopefully that happens sooner than later, or it will end up like Firewire, if not worse off.

As for Firewire, I don't expect any new Macs coming out (except for a potential Mac Pro refresh) to support it natively any more. Most likely it will be done through a Thunderbolt->Firewire adapter. (And I suspect it won't be cheap).
Supacon is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:07 PM   #7
iScott428
macrumors regular

So it will cost more and not support power...seems directly aimed at large businesses/corps.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Existing copper cables won’t be made more expensive. This is a different kind of cable.

Only the gradually-increasing adoption of Thunderbolt will bring prices down—and if anything, fiber optic support helps that general trend. Canceling already-promised Thunderbolt enhancements won’t actually help the Thunderbolt market.
nagromme is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5

Great....Hardly anything uses the existing t/bolt cables...The display and a handful of stuff....Still have a T/bolt cable in it's pack...Never used it yet.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #10
bb426
macrumors 6502

Well, it's great to see Intel moving along with the technology.

On the other hand, Thunderbolt still means nothing to me, the average consumer. Not only is it unique to only Macs at the moment, but there is very little support for it unless you pay triple digits, at the least.

Still waiting for that clever Thunderbolt solution from Apple.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacon View Post
As for Firewire, I don't expect any new Macs coming out (except for a potential Mac Pro refresh) to support it natively any more. Most likely it will be done through a Thunderbolt->Firewire adapter. (And I suspect it won't be cheap).
Sonnet announced one a year ago but they keep pushing its release. They may have cancelled it altogether since they removed it from their website. I bought a MBA thinking this adapter would be released (I need FireWire) and got screwed hard. At least if the new MBP doesn't have one, some other brand will feel the need to release such an adapter.
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12
wikus
Banned

LOL, what a failure thunderbolt is becoming. All this hype and time.... where are devices for consumers?

Have any of you;

- seen anyone having a thunderbolt device?
- seen a thunderbolt device on a store shelf?
wikus is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13
timshundo
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to timshundo
Do we have numbers on the adoption rate of thunderbolt? Have other venders signed on to support it?
timshundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
LOL, what a failure thunderbolt is becoming. All this hype and time.... where are devices for consumers?

Have any of you;

-No. The technology is also not even a year old yet. (Edited to make 'Wikus' happy. Thunderbolt actually turned a year old seventeen days ago.)

-Yes.

Seriously you need to get over yourself. Of course it won't have the support of USB 2.0 at the present. And no one in their right mind should expect it to.

Last edited by Spectrum Abuser; Mar 12, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Spectrum Abuser is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:30 PM   #15
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Make thunderbolt compatible with iPhones and iPads and I will pay the premium for the cable
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:34 PM   #16
MH01
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
-No. The technology is also not even a year old yet.
-Yes.

Seriously you need to get over yourself. Of course it won't have the support of USB 2.0 at the present. And no one in their right mind should expect it to.
Do you own a thunderbolt device??

I frankly cannot afford them, whilst I have plenty of USB 3 devices for my PC.

With the "pro" macbooks having less and less interfaces these days TB is a waste for 95% of users.
MH01 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Sonnet announced one a year ago but they keep pushing its release. They may have cancelled it altogether since they removed it from their website. I bought a MBA thinking this adapter would be released (I need FireWire) and got screwed hard. At least if the new MBP doesn't have one, some other brand will feel the need to release such an adapter.
While it is a bit of a kludge solution Sonnet does offer a TB to ExpressCard adapter. It might be a workaround if you already have a Firewire ExpressCard or absolutely need to have that functionality.

ThunderBolt -> ExpressCard

Apple does sell a TB->FW adapter, unfortunately it is bundled into a display.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Do you own a thunderbolt device??

I frankly cannot afford them, whilst I have plenty of USB 3 devices for my PC.

With the "pro" macbooks having less and less interfaces these days TB is a waste for 95% of users.
I believe the same thing was said of the transition from serial to USB.
Laird Knox is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:37 PM   #18
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:

Have any of you;

Given the Apple Stores saw around 100M visitors last quarter and the Thunderbolt Displays have been rolled out to most of those stores ...... pretending no one saw one is out on awfully thin ice.

Did they obsessively examine the cable to check it was TB? No. Does that really make a difference? No.

You can knock the variety of devices still being relatively low. But can't go see one.... in many places they are at the local Mall.
deconstruct60 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Thunderbolt feels like a standard that came to market too quickly. It is still establishing itself while looking to change 2 major aspects with optical and PCI Express 3.0.
Moonjumper is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:38 PM   #20
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
Make thunderbolt compatible with iPhones and iPads and I will pay the premium for the cable
Why? Do you have any evidence that the memory used in iPhones and/or iPads would utilize the additional bandwidth that Thunderbolt provides? I would bet that the memory in the iPhone is slower than USB 2.0 thus moving to Thunderbolt completely unnecessary (for now).
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:42 PM   #21
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Why? Do you have any evidence that the memory used in iPhones and/or iPads would utilize the additional bandwidth that Thunderbolt provides? I would bet that the memory in the iPhone is slower than USB 2.0 thus moving to Thunderbolt completely unnecessary (for now).
Thats why I said make it compatible.The current iOS lineup doesn't have the proper hardware to support it but newer devices can include thunderbolt support.But your point is valid would the Nand flash in the iPhone support the higher write speeds?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:43 PM   #22
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

I don't have a single device or computer that supports USB 3.0 either.
shurcooL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:44 PM   #23
Seppentoni
macrumors member

Great News.

Now I can connect all my many affordable thunderbolt harddrives and other devices connect to each other.

Oh wait…
Seppentoni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:45 PM   #24
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Comparatively speaking Thunderbolt cables are cheap. If you were expecting UB pricing for cables with active chips embedded you were highly mistaken

Quote:

Have any of you;

Ahhh Wikus trolling the Thunderbolt threads again to provide nuggets of misinformation.

There are plenty of Thunderbolt devices available or in the pipeline for people that actually need the drive speed.
nuckinfutz is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #25
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

Sure it would be nice to have affordable thunderbolt accessories right now, but when I upgraded from a 2010 --> 2011 macbook pro, the only thing it did was add additional functionality to the existing display port. It didn't hurt me any, and I'm glad I have that option if I need it.

If apple waited and released the 2011 mbp without thunderbolt built in, everyone would have complained in 2012/2013 about how apple could have included thunderbolt in their computer but chose not to. Apple is late to adopt USB 3, people complain. Apple is early in adopting thunderbolt, people complain.
diamond3 is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion