Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to the just-surfaced unboxing video of the new iPad, Tinhte.vn also posts Geekbench benchmarks of the device, revealing that the device's A5X system-on-a-chip contains a 1 GHz application processor and 1 GB of RAM.

ipad_3_geekbench.jpg

The new iPad received a total Geekbench score of 756, essentially identical to that of the iPad 2, although Geekbench only tests processor and memory performance and does not address graphics capabilities that are the focus of improvements in the A5X. The A5X offers the same 1 GHz CPU found in the A5, and bumps the RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB as had been predicted and suggested in leaked screenshots of a debug tool for the device.

Article Link: Benchmarks on Third-Generation iPad Reveal 1 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I'm so glad the memory was bumped up. That was the primary issue I was having with my iPad 1.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Who cares about the geekbench scores?
Does scrolling lag? No
Is it slow? No
Is it powerful enough to run the display? Yes
Does it run graphic intensive games well? Yes

To all you people who say "I won't buy it until its quad core" ect ect, I feel sorry for you!

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
The iPad 2 ranged from 800 to 960 Mhz

What makes you sure iPad 3 doesnt range from 990 to 1200 Mhz

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
i guess keeping the processor the same as the ipad 2 offset the (potentially) higher cost of the retina display...

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
I think it will still run very smoothly with the much better GPU inside and Apple definitely wouldn't let it come out if it was in anyway inferior to the older iPad 2.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Figured it would still be 1Ghz. Mainly because Apple didn't say anything about a general performance increase.

But the extra RAM will be nice, considering a lot of websites won't have 2x resolution images for a while...

Joevans

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
I'm calling fake.

This is for one, an iPhone rendition; check out the size of the buttons. Secondly, it was used from the xcode app tester; check the rounded edges. I don't think this is real at all.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
This is for one, an iPhone rendition; check out the size of the buttons. Secondly, it was used from the xcode app tester; check the rounded edges. I don't think this is real at all.

It is the iPhone app run on an iPad. That's how all iphone app screenshots look when run on an iPad.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
Why there is 8 megapixel cameras on every tablet out there?
What is the point, nobody shoots videos or photos with tablets
Put more storage or battery instead of some useless cameras

Even with a phone it is quite difficult shoot videos, compared to real video cams but with a monster size phone a.k.a tablet?

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
didnt the iPad 2 have 900 Mhz?

Nope, 1GHz. The iPhone 4S has a slowed down 800MHz A5.

And my take on this:

I have an iPad 2. I live in a rural area - no 4G. The only advantage would be the new display - would be worth $100 to me - so not enough to switch. The implementation of Siri is a nice gimmic but I am not alone where I would use the dictation feature, so that is that.

Also, Apple should at least overhaul the notification center to be full-screen on the iPad and include weather and stock market like o the iPhone. RS feeds would be nice, too. There is so much display real estate, they could really do something with the swipe-down.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I will be keeping my ipad2 till the 4th gen then.

That's reasonable, I for one have waited to jump on the tablet bandwagon, so I'm sold!

Apple did the right thing in promoting retina display now, putting them ahead, in the eyes of the devs, and ensuring the platform continuity for years to come.

Apple's aspect ration and resolution is fixed for phones and tablets for the years. No need to add more pixel, since already user can distinguish them.

Every time the devs invest on developing apps, they now, won't be a waste.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!

yeaaaa, because apple is making no money...
they know what they are doing. If there isn't competition that is way past what is released they won't release something too much better when they don't have to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.