Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolKid

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Uppsala
Hmmm. I might buy an iPad 3 after all. It's just that, I know for a fact that the 4th generation will be considerably different.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!

This is why it makes more sense to buy every second or third generation, that way you'll appreciate the upgrade more.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
great i just spent $500 on the exact same iPad i already have. man apple is starting to suck with these incremental updates!

Its easy to get away with on computers, but on disposable mobile Tech, you really need to beat yourself when releasing something new!

You have noticed the screen right? And the camera, the LTE, etc etc

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Yes, Geekbench is a really poor indicator for performance, not just for iPad, but also for desktop computers. It's rare that people use computers in the ways Geekbench test them for. Sure, if you render 3D graphics or solve a matrix with multiple unknown variables, but not if you browse the web, watch YouTube, and play games. It's among the most synthetic of synthetic tests.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006

Lordy. I think John Gruber summed this up best:

Daring Fireball said:
But if a faster processor, more RAM, a double-the-resolution retina display, a better camera, and maybe even LTE networking make for a “modest” update, then what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Who cares about the geekbench scores?
Does scrolling lag? No
Is it slow? No
Is it powerful enough to run the display? Yes
Does it run graphic intensive games well? Yes

To all you people who say "I won't buy it until its quad core" ect ect, I feel sorry for you!

Because without benchmarks the fandroids, have nothing to think their crap is better.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you don't care about retina display, LTE, and the improved camera, this news is great. You can get a refurbished iPad 2 for $349 and have the same CPU as the new iPad.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
They improved exactly what needed improving. Nothing wrong or slow with the processing. But the graphics had to be upgraded.

Apple understands that balance well. Exactly what you need in power to guarantee a smooth snappy and responsive user experience, but no more power than needed to preserve the battery life - one of THE most raved about features of the iPad.

I am not doing simulations of Nuclear weapons degradation for the Pentagon with this thing.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this view at all. Yes, the CPU seems to be the same but:

a) The screen, GPU, RAM, camera and battery have ALL been upgraded, in the case of the screen and GPU to top of the range components (and the battery looks like it'd fall into the same category). As far as the end user experience is concerned that's a massive update not an incremental one.

b) It's not as if anyone is crying out for an improved CPU anyway. GPU yes, gotta feed that Retina display, CPU though, no. The iPad 2 is more than fast enough already, an incremental boost in speed probably wouldn't make much of a visible difference anyway. The only real way to give a significant increase is either increase the number of cores (battery issues, heat issues, the OS and apps have to make good use of more cores) or to shift to a new version of the CPU (ARM15, not yet ready).

Yet people get hung up on a single figure and that's that... I really don't understand some tech geeks anymore. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Interesting. Compared to iPad 2:

1. Performance writing to an offscreen bitmap is very substantially higher (more than 60 percent).

2. Performance writing to the screen cannot be judged, because they both run the benchmark at exactly 60 frames per second.

3. Total benchmark time cannot be judged either, because the time writing to the screen is identical.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Lucky you guys.
70% of "the New iPad" "upgraders" just just got a very crisp screen to play Infinity Blade on. Only a small % of the remaining 30% actually got something useful for their professional life.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Interesting. Compared to iPad 2:

1. Performance writing to an offscreen bitmap is very substantially higher (more than 60 percent).

2. Performance writing to the screen cannot be judged, because they both run the benchmark at exactly 60 frames per second.

3. Total benchmark time cannot be judged either, because the time writing to the screen is identical.
Indeed, some nice results...
Wow it's quite a bit faster on the GPU side.
Oh yea a! :D

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I remember when the iPad 2 came out, and how many people said they wouldn't upgrade unless it had the Retina display. Now it has the Retina display and they won't upgrade till it has a Quad-core.

Whatever.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
i was just joking really... Apple could have simply changed the shape of the home button and that would have been enough for me.

I just hope they never release an iTurd, because i will really be wasting my money LOL

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The important thing is if the GPU and RAM increases are enough to offset the Retina display to keep the new iPad as responsive as the iPad 2. We'll see on Friday.

WhoAmI2

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012

Lol how do you figure it's the same? Because it's still 1ghz? really that's all that's the same. Some people are never satisfied.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Get new one?

I always get the new iPads & iPhones even if it's called just" incremental update" it always seems to be more then people think. I love the excitement and anticapation of it all, childish it may be but it keeps me young and looking forward to something new! Even all these blogs are fun to read during a new release. I got my pre-order in and it will be here Friday morning! But I will also go wait in line with my buddy and we will get a couple more for family and for the fun waiting in line, always meet some cool people and just have a good time being a bunch of geeks:cool:
:apple::apple::apple:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks, but I'm still waiting for iFixit and Anand to get ahold of one.

Looking good though!

Retina display is obviously good.

Ram? Check.
Camera? Waiting.
Battery still "full day"? Waiting.
Overall performance? Waiting.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
i guess keeping the processor the same as the ipad 2 offset the (potentially) higher cost of the retina display...
The processor isn't the same...

----------

Lucky you guys.
70% of "the New iPad" "upgraders" just just got a very crisp screen to play Infinity Blade on. Only a small % of the remaining 30% actually got something useful for their professional life.
The 70% that just got a very crisp screen for "Infinity Blade" usually has a better job than someone who uses the iPad FOR there job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.