Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports on comments from IHS iSuppli analyst Vinita Jakhanwal claiming that Samsung is currently serving as the sole supplier of the ultra-high resolution Retina display in the new iPad. Previous reports had indicated the Sharp and LG would also be supplying displays for the device.
Samsung Electronics Co. (005930) will supply the touch screen for Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s new iPad after LG Display Co. (034220) and Sharp Corp. (6753) didn't meet the U.S. company's quality requirements, according to an analyst with iSuppli.

Samsung, the world's top flat-panel maker, currently is the sole vendor of the display for the 9.7-inch device, said Vinita Jakhanwal, a senior manager at iSuppli, a unit of Englewood, Colorado-based IHS Inc.
Sharp's role in the new Retina iPad display has been particularly murky, with some sources claiming that the company was responsible for a new design intended for the display and that it would be a key manufacturing partner for Apple. Rumors of Sharp failing to meet Apple's quality control standards surfaced in January, although a photo of a leaked display from Sharp surfaced a few weeks later. Another report from last month similarly suggested that Sharp was not a part of Apple's supply chain for the new iPad display, despite having designed the component.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg

Apple and Samsung have a complicated relationship given the fact that Samsung provides a substantial number of components for Apple's iOS devices even as it competes with Apple through its own Android-based hardware. Apple has reportedly been seeking to reduce its reliance on Samsung in light of the competition between the two companies, but market forces and technical considerations clearly trump that desire, and Apple is continuing to use Samsung when it is Apple's best option for a particular component.

Article Link: Samsung Sole Supplier for Retina Display in New iPad?

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
The FB's can say whatever they want, but Samsung makes the best displays in the world. If you want the best iPad, you're about stuck using Samsung.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Well that's nice of Samsung.

You know, considering Apple wants them virtually wiped off the face of the earth.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Deal with the Devil

Samsung's to money hungry to boycott Apple, and same goes for Apple. These guys have such a love hate relationship.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So is this this be a dilemma for hardcore fanboys...??? The way some have been carrying on in the Apple v Samsung threads, you would expect them to avoid the new Ipad.... but me thinks we have a lot of hypocrites on MR ;)

Ltd! What do you think?? They are Evil.... but they make these retina screens....

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011

You know, considering Apple wants them virtually wiped off the face of the earth.

Samsung probably secured billions of dollars worth of contracts to supply Apple with what they need. That spells a little death in the face of Samsung's display production competitors. Money from an enemy is still money baby! :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
At least that means there won't be yellowy warm screens (LG) and hopefully less light bleed.

Last edited:

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
So is this this be a dilemma for hardcore fanboys...??? The way some have been carrying on in the Apple v Samsung threads, you would expect them to avoid the new Ipad.... but me thinks we have a lot of hypocrites on MR ;)

Ltd! What do you think?? They are Evil.... but they make these retina screens....

When I was really young (around 9) I thought everything was either black or white and learned a lesson from my pops that there are shades of grey. It's quite possible they are (corporate integrity wise) QUITE evil and also make retina screens.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Apple does NOT want Samsung wiped off the face of the earth. Apple wants Samsung's tablets gone.

There's a difference there, can you tell the difference? Or do you have to keep bashing Apple for no reason?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Apple does NOT want Samsung wiped off the face of the earth. Apple wants Samsung's tablets gone.

There's a difference there, can you tell the difference? Or do you have to keep bashing Apple for no reason?

You seem upset.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Let's see, Samsung will introduce a retina display tablet in 6 months (but it'll be continued to be crippled by a certain slow os)

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

that's not true. Apple want's Android wiped off the face of the earth. Samsung just got in the way by making devices that actually propelled Android growth.

Apple would have no problem with Samsung should they switch to Windows completely.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
For my money, Samsung makes the best HDTVs on the market, so I'm fine with them making the display on my new iPad.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

I'm sure what you posted won't be too popular here, but it is true. Samsung sucks, but it's ok as long as it benefits Apple. How many posts have you read here wishing that Samsung would go out of business, etc? Comical, isn't it?

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Strange, I assume that Samsung makes displays for a profit.

Giving great screens to the competition does not do to well for your own Tablet. That is what I meant. Basically everyone will want an iPad instead of a galaxyTab even more now because of the screen alone.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
LOL

I wish there were moderators on MacRumors that removed trolls.

Yes, that's what I'm doing is trolling. I'm not here because I am interested in Apple news, I'm just here to cause trouble. You're right.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Saw the Samsung logo and thought, oh no, here we go again. Actually relieved that this story doesn't involve lawyers ;)

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
It really sucks that they can't find a competing alternative. This is not bad for Apple, this is horrible for Sharp, LG and any other manufacturer that aimed to be a provider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.