Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
that's not true. Apple want's Android wiped off the face of the earth. Samsung just got in the way by making devices that actually propelled Android growth.

Apple would have no problem with Samsung should they switch to Windows completely.

This statement is spot on. All samsung has done is increased the uptake of Android tablets. Despite how much people may hate Android, its a good thing. If there was no competition we'd still be on the iPhone 1 with no app store, and the iPad probably wouldn't exist. Competition forces Apple to improve and innovate.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I just cancelled my order for new iPad. I refuse to support the Samsung legal warchest by purchasing products with their components inside. I'll wait until Apple uses a different display maker later this summer in the new iPad.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I just cancelled my order for new iPad. I refuse to support the Samsung legal warchest by purchasing products with their components inside. I'll wait until Apple uses a different display maker later this summer in the new iPad.

That's kinda... narrow minded.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Samsung's to money hungry to boycott Apple, and same goes for Apple. These guys have such a love hate relationship.

Not at all. There is "Samsung Semiconductors" making things like display panels. There is pure love between them and Apple. And there is "Samsung Consumer Devices" making things like tablets. They hate Apple and vice versa. Maybe not even that. There is a good chance that someone who is now an ex-vice president of something or other decided to copy the iPad, and even though they know by now it was a bad idea, they don't want to lose face.

But as long as Samsung doesn't fall into the same trap as Sony (where "Sony Consumer Devices" was prevented from creating excellent music players by "Sony Media" which was more powerful), Apple and Samsung Semiconductors will get along just fine. And I suppose that Samsung makes a lot more money selling displays to Apple than they make selling Samsung tablets.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Saw the Samsung logo and thought, oh no, here we go again. Actually relieved that this story doesn't involve lawyers ;)

Dont' be silly. Of course it involves lawyers. Lawyers are almost *always* involved in contract negotiations. :p

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
So is this this be a dilemma for hardcore fanboys...??? The way some have been carrying on in the Apple v Samsung threads, you would expect them to avoid the new Ipad.... but me thinks we have a lot of hypocrites on MR ;)

Ltd! What do you think?? They are Evil.... but they make these retina screens....

Actually, I think it's a perfect metaphor for the whole relationship. Apple designs and innovates great new ideas, tells Samsung what to do, Samsung takes the idea and runs with it and makes 20 million of them. Apple innovates, Samsung makes copies.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Actually, I think it's a perfect metaphor for the whole relationship. Apple designs and innovates great new ideas, tells Samsung what to do, Samsung takes the idea and runs with it and makes 20 million of them. Apple innovates, Samsung makes copies.

Who designed the retina display, Apple or Samsung? Who figures out how to manufacture it, Apple or Samsung?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Samsung is bigger than a government, so Samsung Display is a different company than Samsung Mobility? If thats so, then I'm sure Apple has an exclusive contract with them.
I don't think there will be another tablet with Retina display, the same way there is no other smartphone with retina display.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Apple:

Samsung hardware is total junk...er, um except when theyre making our "revolutionary"/"unmatched"/"stunning"/"industry leading" display.

Come on :apple:, :rolleyes:

Heheh! I remember years ago when people didn't like Samsung and considered Korean junk. IMO, Samsung is way ahead of Sony and other brands on TVs and displays.

Do we know yet what kind of display technology is being used on the iPad 3? (Besides Retina Display)

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Seriously???

Who knows, Apple may not ever have another manufacturing partner for the third generation iPad's display. Anyway, if Apple is OK using Samsung as a supplier, why does it bother you so much? I can appreciate the joy of being an Apple fan as much as anyone, but I can't support taking it to the extreme of making a decision in order to benefit or harm one company or another rather than making the decision that is right for me.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Apple does NOT want Samsung wiped off the face of the earth. Apple wants Samsung's tablets gone.

There's a difference there, can you tell the difference? Or do you have to keep bashing Apple for no reason?
I think Apple can deal with competition from Samsung, among the others. Apple is just tired of having their ideas and core tech ripped off by everyone and is finally trying to put a stop to it.

If Samsung's products didn't look so much like Apple's, I'm sure the lawsuits would stop.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
And I suppose that Samsung makes a lot more money selling displays to Apple than they make selling Samsung tablets.

+1

And Samsung makes gobs of money from selling Apple semiconductor ASICs and memory as well. Winning or losing lawsuits over their tablets is probably peanuts by comparison.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Apple does NOT want Samsung wiped off the face of the earth. Apple wants Samsung's tablets gone.

There's a difference there, can you tell the difference? Or do you have to keep bashing Apple for no reason?
While I'm sure Apple would be pleased to lose whatever competition Samsung provides in the tablet market, a more accurate description is probably that Apple wants Samsung to stop copying Apple products so closely.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Samsung has a job to do. They're a supplier.

lol well said. I look at that new samsung smart tv and it seems very gimmicky and i think id rather use a remote lol. Samsung can supply the parts but leave Apple to the thinking and ideas please. Or sad to say. Samsung should stick to copying people and not try innovate lol

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Many people don't know this so why not:

Samsung isn't really one company, it's a whole bunch of companies tied together to make a mega company

So there are portions of the company that don't exactly beat to the same drum as the rest

With that said, Samsung display tech is without equal in the industry and it's the one industry Samsung has been slaughtering everyone in... TVs, Monitors, mobile displays... They are well on their way to creating a monopoly in those markets.

Just that alone is more important to Samsung than having a competitive "fad" product as a consumer electronic device in the galaxy tab.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
While I'm sure Apple would be pleased to lose whatever competition Samsung provides in the tablet market, a more accurate description is probably that Apple wants Samsung to stop copying Apple products so closely.

yep. There would be no quarrel if Samsung didn't copy the iphone and ipad.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Samsung has a job to do. They're a supplier.

Hang on, what about all those endless links to how corrupt Samsung is, what type of company they are.... sorry but they all painted a picture of a company one would want nothing to do with.

Put their screen into the new Ipad, and they are okay cause they are a supplier all the sudden.

Sorry mate, but that is extremely hypercritical given the bashing you have given them WOW! So much to sticking to your guns.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think rumors of reduced reliance were always false rumors. Samsung and Apple are in a series of patent disputes the result of which will be license fee to/from somebody which are trivial to the bottom line.

Samsung is special in its manufacturing capacity. Apple needs manufacturing capacity. It would be kinda cool for someone from Samsung to write a story about the challenges of ramping capacity to serve Apples world record volume requirements at the top of the quality spectrum. It need not disclose confidential info, but would be good for both Samsung and Apple customers to see how amazing they are.

Yes this includes Sharp IP, but it is Samsung's manufacturing and QC capacity that brought the iPad to reality, and Apple's first worldwide rollout.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.