Sony HDR-SR12 footage looking horrible on FCP 7 transfer to DVD - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:17 AM   #1
Jcole6
macrumors newbie

Sony HDR-SR12 footage looking horrible on FCP 7 transfer to DVD

HI,

Recorded some footage with a Sony HDR-SR12 and I am trying to transfer it to DVD from my Final Cut Pro 7 and it looks beyond horrible. When the computer is on my computer it looks fantastic but I can't get a half decent transfer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jcole6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Can you divulge into more details what exact steps you have taken to get the footage off the camera into FCP and what you did to get the sequence from FCP to a video DVD?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Jcole6
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Can you divulge into more details what exact steps you have taken to get the footage off the camera into FCP and what you did to get the sequence from FCP to a video DVD?
I transfered them a while back, I'm pretty sure I did it through FCP. They are all on an external hard drive now as Quicktime movie files. When I play them out of FCP they look perfect, when I play them inside of FCP they look perfect, it is only on DVD transfer that they look bad.
I had FCP 6 and exported it onto a DVD via the standard DVD studio procedure and it looked awful. I recently upgraded to FCP and did it through the Share feature in FCP 7 and it looks just as bad if not worse.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcole6 View Post
I transfered them a while back, I'm pretty sure I did it through FCP. They are all on an external hard drive now as Quicktime movie files. When I play them out of FCP they look perfect, when I play them inside of FCP they look perfect, it is only on DVD transfer that they look bad.
I had FCP 6 and exported it onto a DVD via the standard DVD studio procedure and it looked awful. I recently upgraded to FCP and did it through the Share feature in FCP 7 and it looks just as bad if not worse.
Use Compressor first with your sequence via sending it to Compressor (right click on sequence in bin and select Send > Compressor), here is a video tutorial for Compressor 4 (720p, you can pause, as it is still a bit fast), but Compressor 3 works too, only that the settings are somewhere else:
Then import the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro and make your DVD.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Jcole6
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Use Compressor first with your sequence via sending it to Compressor (right click on sequence in bin and select Send > Compressor), here is a video tutorial for Compressor 4 (720p, you can pause, as it is still a bit fast), but Compressor 3 works too, only that the settings are somewhere else:
Then import the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro and make your DVD.
Thanks so much! I am going to try this today and let you know how it turned out.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcole6 View Post
HI,

Recorded some footage with a Sony HDR-SR12 and I am trying to transfer it to DVD from my Final Cut Pro 7 and it looks beyond horrible. When the computer is on my computer it looks fantastic but I can't get a half decent transfer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean transfer simply for storage or to actually play fron a DVD. DVDs are standard definition, 640 x 480 from the last century unless you are talking about HD DVDs.
Digitalclips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:13 AM   #7
yoak
macrumors 65816

If you watch a DVD make sure to watch it from a DVD player on a tv, not a computer. They often look crap on a monitor, but good on a tv
yoak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video