Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Making cap room by restructuring. Contracts don't seem to mean a thing to teams and owners though. For his sake, I hope he got a lot of money up front!

Restructuring for cap room... are they trying to make room for another QB so he can be the backup? Because if not, I don't see why you would ever give Sanchez another 3 years and handicap yourself with a crap QB for the next 5.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Restructuring for cap room... are they trying to make room for another QB so he can be the backup? Because if not, I don't see why you would ever give Sanchez another 3 years and handicap yourself with a crap QB for the next 5.

Jets had $11.75 million invested in Sanchez in 2012 ($8.5m base + $3.25m roster bonus) and $6 million in 2013 ($4.5m & $1.5m). Total $17.75 million.

So they basically added $2.75 million guaranteed for 3 additional years.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The Redskins move for RG3 while certainly flamboyant and putting money where mouth is, has not really been thought through. It would be fine if the Redskins were a QB away from being a consistent winning team but they are far away from that.

What this move may ultimately end up doing in the short term is to effectively cripple the team from bringing in any kind of fresh talent to build a team around RG3 which is essential with this type of QB talent.
The team has actually brought in a lot of young talent in last two drafts & ditched all the older, high contract players so they entered this off season with $45 mil in cap space so they won't break the bank securing FA's to help fill out the roster. Shanahan has tried to weather the last two years w/Beck, McNabb & Grossman and it hasn't exactly gone well. Sure, you need talent around your QB but you also need a QB that can bring out the talent in the rest of the team. For an extreme example just look at how the Colts are completely inept w/o Manning and how a very, very old Brett Farve took the Viking, who were useless the year prior, to within a 2 mintues of the Super Bowl. How dominant could the Ravens be if they had a franchise QB instead of a game manager?

Also, from what I've read, three or four other teams, including the Browns matched or exceeded the Skins offer (the Rams got the Skins offer first though and honored that) so this wasn't the same Snyder deal of yore where he overpaid for a big name on the wrong side of 30 or spent another high #1 pick on a CB or Safety.

Sure its a huge move but what if the Skins stuck w/Grossman (or pulled in Orton or some other temp QB) and went 8-8 next year? How much would it cost to move up from middle of the first round in '13 vs just four spots this year? You also have to get your QB early enough in the rebuilding process that he has enough time to learn and grow w/the rest of the team. You don't want to spend a few years building up a team, then draft a QB, then have that 'foundation' hitting free agency just as the QB starts to hit his stride.

This was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Lethal

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Let's go cowboys. Glad to see we finally cute newman and buehler!

Lets try and get something going this year ;]

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well the bears got Brandon Marshall in a trade with Miami. only two three round picks, one this year and next year, and they had two in the third round this year. not a bad cost at all for such a good receiver. the great thing is that we already know he has chemistry and will work well with cutler. i'm liking our new GM already.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
well the bears got Brandon Marshall in a trade with Miami. only two three round picks, one this year and next year, and they had two in the third round this year. not a bad cost at all for such a good receiver. the great thing is that we already know he has chemistry and will work well with cutler. i'm liking our new GM already.

I think this was a great trade for the Bears. Two 3rd round picks is a steal for a receiver of Marshall's caliber.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota

Yep, if everyone stays healthy, I'm sure we'll win the Super Bowl.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I think we can scratch Miami off the ballot. 5 years of facing Super Mario 2x is enough for Manning. Tennessee's stock just rose a notch. I wonder if he'll switch to his old #16.
I doubt Manning wants face off against the Pats twice a year either. I'm sure he still wants to go after another ring so a good team in a more winnable division gives him a better shot at the playoffs. MIA, BUF and NYJ are all pretty much fighting for a wildcard spot every year.

Lethal

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I doubt Manning wants face off against the Pats twice a year either. I'm sure he still wants to go after another ring so a good team in a more winnable division gives him a better shot at the playoffs. MIA, BUF and NYJ are all pretty much fighting for a wildcard spot every year.

Lethal

Just to be fair, no QB has ever won two super bowls with two different teams. I hate to put manning down out of the gate but the stats say it'll never happen. The teams he needs to be on aren't he teams that want him and the teams he's courting, with maybe the exception of denver are hardly a good fit.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Just to be fair, no QB has ever won two super bowls with two different teams. I hate to put manning down out of the gate but the stats say it'll never happen. The teams he needs to be on aren't he teams that want him and the teams he's courting, with maybe the exception of denver are hardly a good fit.

I'm not saying I think Manning will do it, but I'm sure he wants to do it. Or at the very least he wasn't to be successful so they he feels like he can go out on his own terms and not by shut down by this neck injury. Either way, I'd be surprised to see him go to Miami. At least in ARI, DEN or TEN he has a decent shot of winning the division. Sure the 49s, Chargers, and Texans (respectively) aren't slouches, but if Manning can add just half of what he brought to the Colts to any of his suitors that team turns into an instant playoff contender, IMO. It's just going to be really hard to wrestle the AFC East out of the hands of the Pats and I don't think that's what Manning wants to try and do at this stage of his career.

Lethal

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm not saying I think Manning will do it, but I'm sure he wants to do it. Or at the very least he wasn't to be successful so they he feels like he can go out on his own terms and not by shut down by this neck injury. Either way, I'd be surprised to see him go to Miami. At least in ARI, DEN or TEN he has a decent shot of winning the division. Sure the 49s, Chargers, and Texans (respectively) aren't slouches, but if Manning can add just half of what he brought to the Colts to any of his suitors that team turns into an instant playoff contender, IMO. It's just going to be really hard to wrestle the AFC East out of the hands of the Pats and I don't think that's what Manning wants to try and do at this stage of his career.

Lethal

I agree, Miami would be an average team in handful of other divisions but with the patriots in their division their only shot is wildcard every year as long as brady is there. A true competitor wants the best from his opponents but that doesn't mean you have to put yourself at a disadvantage from the beginning. I think it'll be Denver ultimately even though its not the most perfect fit because the division can be easily won and that secures home playoff games which are critical. I think he has a soft spot for indy and would hate playing them twice a year as a titan, even with his connections to Tennessee.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I agree, Miami would be an average team in handful of other divisions but with the patriots in their division their only shot is wildcard every year as long as brady is there. A true competitor wants the best from his opponents but that doesn't mean you have to put yourself at a disadvantage from the beginning.
I agree. And Manning has already paid his dues and doesn't having anything to prove. Plus, once he gets to the play-offs he'll most likely have to face the Pats again at some point. It would suck if Manning went to Miami, got the team to 11-5 and still didn't make the play-offs (like what happened to the Chargers a few years back).

I think it'll be Denver ultimately even though its not the most perfect fit because the division can be easily won and that secures home playoff games which are critical. I think he has a soft spot for indy and would hate playing them twice a year as a titan, even with his connections to Tennessee.
I think he still has a soft spot for the Colts as well. I could see him in DEN though the Chargers seem to have his number. In ARI he'd have a dome, Fitz, and no baggage, but I've heard he wants to stay in the AFC.

Lethal

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In regards to the Manning situation, I don't get all the hype about him going to Denver. Some are saying they are the most complete team and he would have the best chance for success there. I just don't see it?

Ari and Ten have legitimate number 1 receivers in Fitzgerald and Britt. Who does Denver have? They traded away Lloyd last year. Sure, Decker and D. Thomas are pretty good, but they aren't at the talent level of the others.

Ari and Ten definitely have a better RB situation then Denver. Ten protected Hasselbeck last year better than any other team in the NFL protected their QB. Plus they just signed a top guard. I think the defenses are a toss up. Denver ended the year strong, but they didn't start out too well. Arizona obviously has the best stadium as it would put Peyton in a dome.

I just think Ten and Ari both look like better landing spots.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I agree. And Manning has already paid his dues and doesn't having anything to prove. Plus, once he gets to the play-offs he'll most likely have to face the Pats again at some point. It would suck if Manning went to Miami, got the team to 11-5 and still didn't make the play-offs (like what happened to the Chargers a few years back).

I think he still has a soft spot for the Colts as well. I could see him in DEN though the Chargers seem to have his number. In ARI he'd have a dome, Fitz, and no baggage, but I've heard he wants to stay in the AFC.

Lethal

I heard somewhere that it's he and Eli's dream to oppose eachother in the super bowl. Either way I think he stays in the AFC just because of familiarity.

In regards to the Manning situation, I don't get all the hype about him going to Denver. Some are saying they are the most complete team and he would have the best chance for success there. I just don't see it?

Ari and Ten have legitimate number 1 receivers in Fitzgerald and Britt. Who does Denver have? They traded away Lloyd last year. Sure, Decker and D. Thomas are pretty good, but they aren't at the talent level of the others.

Ari and Ten definitely have a better RB situation then Denver. Ten protected Hasselbeck last year better than any other team in the NFL protected their QB. Plus they just signed a top guard. I think the defenses are a toss up. Denver ended the year strong, but they didn't start out too well. Arizona obviously has the best stadium as it would put Peyton in a dome.

I just think Ten and Ari both look like better landing spots.

A good qb makes ok receives better and great receivers the same. Manning is a legend for his ability to read defenses and call the right play for the scenario. Obviously he's a good thrower but there have been better.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm not convinced Manning will be the same player when he comes back.
There's a good chance he won't be. But if the total collapse of the Colts w/o him is any sort of indicator then even Manning at 75% would be an upgrade over most of the QB's in the league. And if he goes to a team that has some good pieces already but doesn't have crap at QB, watch out. A very old, but healthy enough, Farve almost go MIN to the SB in his first season w/them and made previously pedestrian receivers look awesome and I think Manning can do the same.

Manning's football IQ has always been his biggest strength so even if his arm isn't quite back to what it used to be I think his ability to outsmart the other team will be enough to compensate for it.

Lethal

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Manning teaming up with Larry Fitzgerald for a few seasons would be a pleasure to watch. That said, I think he still ends up in either Denver or Tennessee.

As a Steeler fan, I've got my fingers crossed that Wallace stays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.