Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm currently using Toast to burn some DVD movies (.m4v) but the encoding process feels like it's taking a lot longer than it normally does. These are 1 hour videos and the encoding process is taking up to 1.5 to 2 hours. Is there any faster way of burning .m4v for DVD player playback?

Macbook 13" (late 2008 unibody)
2.4 Duo Core
8GB ram

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm currently using Toast to burn some DVD movies (.m4v) but the encoding process feels like it's taking a lot longer than it normally does. These are 1 hour videos and the encoding process is taking up to 1.5 to 2 hours. Is there any faster way of burning .m4v for DVD player playback?

2.4 Duo Core
8GB ram

Not really. You are currently limited by cores on your CPU. I was in the same position with my older machine. It would take about 1.5 times the length of the movie to encode. Jump to the machine i have now (sig) and it takes about 30 mins for a full movie.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I have the same machine, and sadly, this is not a justifiable reason to upgrade.
Sure, its a little slow burning dvds, but how often do you do that?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just another reason I need to upgrade.:rolleyes:
I have the same machine, and sadly, this is not a justifiable reason to upgrade.
Sure, its a little slow burning dvds, but how often do you do that?
As a single reason to upgrade, I agree it's probably not worth it. However, "another reason to upgrade" means the person has a list and when I make a list like that, eventually it reaches critical mass and triggers the upgrade.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
As mentioned above, it’s simply you’re computer, not much can be done. I know I was in the same boat last year for a film festival deadline. Video was only 8 minutes long but took over 45 minutes to encode and burn (on the way to dropping it off I might add). On the iMac for this year’s festival a video of the same length encoded and burned in under 5 minutes :)

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

2.4 Duo Core
8GB ram

I use a late 07 white C2D macbook with 4GB Ram and use a program called burn (Version 2.51) to encode .m4v and avi files to mpg, then burn them to disc to be able to watch them in a dvd player. It normally takes between 35 - 40 mins to encode and burn a 2 hour movie, so hearing that encoding and burning is taking the op around 2 hours to do , for just a 1 hour movie sounds pretty bad going, especially as I'm running a relatively stock machine on lion, and the op has a newer model with more Ram. Have you tried devoting both the processor cores in the preferences pane of the encoding and burning app you use, this should speed up the encoding process. I haven't had the need to do this on my mac, but it may help in your situation. Have you replaced your internal Hdd with SSD, as this can also speed up processes on your mac.

Last edited:

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I use a late 07 white C2D macbook with 4GB Ram and use a program called burn (Version 2.51) to encode .m4v and avi files to mpg, then burn them to disc to be able to watch them in a dvd player. It normally takes between 35 - 40 mins to encode and burn a 2 hour movie, so hearing that encoding and burning is taking the op around 2 hours to do , for just a 1 hour movie sounds pretty bad

Have you replaced your internal Hdd with SSD, as this can also speed up processes on your mac.

That's not out of the normal. Encoding a DVD with that machine at the same resolution as the DVD should take that long. Adding an SSD won't change that.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I know that, I was just pointing out that SSD would give his mac a boost in general performance and this could also improve the time it takes for the op's mac to encode a 1 hour movie file.

You just contradicted yourself, but I think the OP was thinking about upgrading anyways.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
As a single reason to upgrade, I agree it's probably not worth it. However, "another reason to upgrade" means the person has a list and when I make a list like that, eventually it reaches critical mass and triggers the upgrade.

I am familiar with the implications of the word 'another.' :rolleyes:

Classick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I had an idea and was hoping someone could clarify it for me.

If I planned on burning a movie file more than once (on separate occasions), would it be possible to save the encoded version of the movie that Toast makes before burning (VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS) so that I wouldn't have to encode all over again every time I wanted to burn it? If so, how would I go about that in Toast 11?

konrad007

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Burning

I have a 10 stacker burner, for some reason it does not read the disc the i made using iMovie then made it into an imovie then burnt it to a disc on my mac, it is in cdr format, it did read it once out of about 20 times so it did work, but if i put in a normal movie DVD it is fine. What can i do to solve this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.