Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I just purchased the new iPad. I bought a smart cover after using them and really like them. Should I get a dock/stand as well? Does anyone use the smart cover AND a dock/stand? What is an advantage of using a dock/stand?

iNtrigued

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
Texas
My 2 cents worth.....

I personally like the Smart Covers because it doesn't add bulk to my iPad and they look nice. I have the Black leather Smart Cover. I'm not that clumsy so I don't look into cases that add bulk. Smart Cover does the job for me.

I used a dock with my iPad. Basically, the use I had for it was overnight charging. I really didnt use for anything else. I wouldnt watch movies or listen to music while it was charging on the dock. (Maybe because I used my iPhone 4S while it was charging) The advantage is that you dont have to worry about your iPad getting sctached or dropped if laying down on a table or desk while charging. While on the dock you know it'll be safe (if no one tips it over) and won't get scratched when moved around.

Hope this helps....

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Attachments

• 41n5IF7UyUL.jpg
    41n5IF7UyUL.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 110

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
^ I have this one as well. I have the P2 for iPad and M2 for iPhone. Both are pretty simple, clean looking which is why I got them. If you want a no frills sort of dock then the elago is a good bet. Personally, I'm not a fan of the bluetooth enabled, sync/charging, tilty swing arm type docks/stands. I just prefer something simple to rest my device on. Another good thing with this is that it'll work with or without a case on it so that's a plus for me as well.

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I Do

I use a Ipad2 with black leather smart cover and apples official dock. its a nice set up the only down side is when you slide it in the dock you either have to like scrunch up the bottom of the smart cover to get it to squish in the dock, or you can let the cover go on after you dock it then the lower part of the smart cover, covers the lip of the dock as well.....i do the second option normally.....google....TWELVE SOUTH...they got some cool accesories besides just there unique ipad dock

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Excuse my ignorance, but whats the problem in using the 30pin every time?

Using it, I don't have a problem. When docking an iPad, I do. I'd much rather just sit my iPad on a dock than have to make sure it gets plugged in just to use the dock.

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
Last edited:

sara1027

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
New York
advantages of one iPad case with stand

if the case with stand, it allows for hands-free video watching. :D

----------

ooo this will go great with my rain mstand. i will have to return my dock when it comes and get this instead.

Thats if i can find it in the uk..

I've been using my Stump for my iPad 2 and it works excellent. Picked it up at Amazon. Sometimes the simple things work best...

http://www.stumpstore.com/

your iPad case is good. I have used a new iPad case with stand via http://www.eva-product.com/iPad-Foam-Case-224-1.html really durable and cute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.