Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I usually carry a seasons' worth of TV episodes or several movies on my iPad for my down times. In the past I've just been converting using Handbrake's iPad settings.

Has anyone started converting a few movies to put the HD screen through its paces tomorrow? If so, what settings are you using?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I usually carry a seasons' worth of TV episodes or several movies on my iPad for my down times. In the past I've just been converting using Handbrake's iPad settings.

Has anyone started converting a few movies to put the HD screen through its paces tomorrow? If so, what settings are you using?

No. Most of my DVDs are not HD, so it would be pointless.

I carry at least one season of 24 and one of Battlestar Galactica... :cool:

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
DVD is not HD, bluray is.
DVD is not Bluray, true enough...

However, HD content/media can be on a DVD...

I know what you were trying to say, just as you knew what the OP was trying to say...

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Unless of course you still have a few HD DVDs. You know, the ones that competed with blu ray a while back. I have (the movie) 300 I can watch on my HD DVD drive on my Xbox. And King Kong too.

HD DVD =/= DVD. They are different standards with different tech. They called it HD DVD just so it was a familiar name to consumers.

DVD is not Bluray, true enough...

However, HD content/media can be on a DVD...

I know what you were trying to say, just as you knew what the OP was trying to say...

You can store HD videos (or any data) on a DVD for storage purposes. But a DVD cannot output true HD via DVD player.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
OK enough with the HD vs. Blueray purists crap.....back to subject at hand.

Does anyone have any hints for good settings to use with Handbrake to take full advantage of the new iPad's Retina display?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seriously, until you have the device in your hand and are able to test the results of your converted files, you won't know for sure. I'd suggest only preparing one or two movies with your best guess so you can see how they play on the new iPad when you first get it, if you must. However, you may also have to wait for the developer of the app you use to play your ripped movies to update their software too. Plus, Apple is using a proprietary method of compressing their 1080p movies, so quessing what will play best on the new device is really a challenge at this time.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Does anyone have any hints for good settings to use with Handbrake to take full advantage of the new iPad's Retina display?

I read in another thread. That the guys who develop handbreak are waiting to get one before they can provide a definitive pre-set.

if you wait a few days after you get it you may have better luck. Or you could download a small "Pixar short" if you're desperate to show it off.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

You don't get it (which is probably why you have to ask about handbrake settings).

This is important for the non technical owners to understand.... a regular DVD is 480p. Upscaling that to 1080 will not enhance the quality for the ipad.3

HD-DVD (assuming you can still find one) and blu-ray are the only physical media that offer that kind of resolution for importing onto the ipad.3

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
You don't get it (which is probably why you have to ask about handbrake settings).

This is important for the non technical owners to understand.... a regular DVD is 480p. Upscaling that to 1080 will not enhance the quality for the ipad.3

HD-DVD (assuming you can still find one) and blu-ray are the only physical media that offer that kind of resolution for importing onto the ipad.3

In theory 35mm film could be just as good if not better so add that to your list of physical media that can offer resolution for importing onto the ipad 3.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
My library was already encoded for the apple tv2. Will be staying as is.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

As others are saying , there's no magic "hi-res" setting in Handbrake that will increase the resolution of DVD image to 1080.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia

480p = 704 x 480 resolution (DVD, SD TV)
720p = 1280 x 720 resolution (some Cable/Satellite, 720p iTunes downloads)
1080p = 1920 x 1080 resolution (Blu-ray, HD-DVD, 1080p iTunes downloads)

iPad 3rd Gen = 2048 x 1536 resolution

Handbrake cannot take a DVD rip that is 704 x 480 and make it take advantage of the 2048 x 1536 resolution. The iPad will just stretch the rip to fit the screen. You need full HD sources to take advantage of the Retina screen's resolution.

Therefore, if you are asking what Handbrake settings for Blu-Ray rips, we can help guess until Handbrake releases their settings. Otherwise, if you are asking for help with Handbrake settings for non-1080p content, we can't help you because you can't be helped! ;)

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011

Handbrake cannot take a DVD rip that is 704 x 480 and make it take advantage of the 2048 x 1536 resolution. The iPad will just stretch the rip to fit the screen. You need full HD sources to take advantage of the Retina screen's resolution.

Therefore, if you are asking what Handbrake settings for Blu-Ray rips, we can help guess until Handbrake releases their settings. Otherwise, if you are asking for help with Handbrake settings for non-1080p content, we can't help you because you can't be helped! ;)

Thanks for the great explanation!

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011

Actually, the OP never mentioned DVDs....

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Actually, the OP never mentioned DVDs....

Hence, my last two sentences explaining to him that if he is converting HD content, we can help guess at Handbrake settings, but if he is converting DVDs then it doesn't matter. The OP needs to be specific or else we cannot help him/her with Handbrake settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.