Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Vortor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Choosing a Game Controller For Gaming

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a game controller to play some old school games on emulators. Thing is, I would like some recommendations. Wireless controllers would be great, especially if I don't need to install/mess with drivers.

Some additional information might be useful. The computer is a iMac 27" (late 2009 model) with 10.6.8 Mac OS X.

I'm more interested in playing NES, SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games.

I was thinking getting one of the SNES controllers. If you have one, how does it behave?

Thanks.
Vortor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
You'd have to mod the cable of any of those console controllers, and that's something a bit out of my league.

I've seen word of how the wireless Xbox 360 controllers can play well with OS X. Try a search for that.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Vortor
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.
Vortor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
The wired one is plug-and-play, and it's the best controller you can go with for PC gaming. It's pretty much the standard controller now. Some other controllers might have different button and axis placements which might mess things up a little.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
ndonnine
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortor View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.

If you get a wireless, you have to buy a DONGLE! You can't plug in with the cord and play. If you buy a wired you can plug it in and the drivers are on www.windows.com
ndonnine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Vortor
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I see. Wired seems to be the best bet.

Thanks for the responses.
Vortor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Vorsos
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.
Vorsos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
ash.peas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Tomee USB controller

Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks!
ash.peas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
blesscheese
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash.peas View Post
Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks!
If you already have an SNES controller you like, why not get a Mayflash adaptor

I have one for my N64 controller, and another for my Wii Classic, and they work great! YMMV...read the Amazon reviews and see if it is for you.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post
I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.
Can I use the PS 3 controller in Bootcamp and Osx that way? Wish I had known that before I bought the wireless dongle for my 360 controller
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
xbox 360 controller, don't look at anything else. It will be a waste of time.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768 | Black 32GB iPhone 5 | Apple TV | 160GB iPod Classic
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tap Play Star Controller: Fully customisable game controller released LastLine iPad Apps 0 May 19, 2011 11:49 AM
Best Value for Game Controller for Madden w8ing4intelmacs Mac and PC Games 8 Jul 31, 2008 09:48 PM
Best Gaming Controller for Mac-Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver? markw10 Games 2 Apr 15, 2007 04:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC