Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
It won't work because the new iPad uses 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz) bandwidth.
In Hong Kong, 4G LTE will be using the 800, 1800, 2300 and 2600 MHz band later in the year if I remembered correctly.

So sure, you can use 3G, 3.5G here... but LTE will not be supported.

Well, yes, but who would care about the 4G LTE when you can use the faster and cheaper 3G (wich is classed also as 4G in Hong Kong) conections? The LTE in the US is neccecary because the networks are simply so bad, that its the only way to have half decent thruput. But even LTE in the US is not coming up to half the speed of regular HDSPA conections in Hong Kong or elsewhere.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Mine was delivered half-an-hour ago. Two other identical UPS boxes were also in reception.. wonder what that those might be.

JadedOne

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where in MA? Just curious, mine is going to my office.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
When you think about it, this kind of yearly fervor for Apple products is the first time I can remember any product release being close to a cultural event such as a new, awaited movie where people stand in lines.

Oddly, though, critics are VERY harsh on anyone waiting in line for a tangible product while they say nothing about waiting in line for hours to see something that gives the purchaser nothing tangible to take home.

There were about 12 people in line at the Walmart I was at. I was number 6

I AM NOT A NUMBER: I AM A FREE MAN!

Got my new iPad this morning at Osaka, Japan Apple Store. I started queuing at 7AM and got to the counter to purchase at 8:50AM. Overall I'm pleased with the new iPad (upgraded from iPad 2), some noteworthy items from what I've found so far
* Voice dictation works very well overall. I spoke three full sentences and it converted to text perfectly. I think i'll use voice dictation instead of the keyboard in some instances (such as doing a quick google search)
* The new iPad feels noticeably heavier to me
* The screen is amazing when looking at it close or quite close. You can't tell the difference at arms length away. iBooks benefits from the retina disply greatly. I read a chapter of a book in full screen mode and it looks great. I'm looking foward to seeing some retina-display enabled magazines soon (WIRED especially)
* Speed of the device feels exactly the same as the iPad 2. no better and no worse.
* The back-facing camera is a LOT better. The pictures I took are a huge improvement over the iPad 2. I won't use the camera a lot - but I like having a higher quality cam for when I do want to use it.

Thanks for the quick run down! Im feeling not too bad that the performance of the device is more or less the same as the iPad2. Was really expecting it to be way faster. I know ames will run considerable better with the quad GPU but web surfing etc is negligable.

Nice to have you mention that the display is only really noticable up close and at arms length is indistinguishable from the previous iPad. I use my iPad at arms length the majority of the time so Im maybe not so keen now to upgrade.

To all thoose who have received there new iPads, Enjoy! :D

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
Arrived at Meadowhall Sheffield, UK about 6 a.m to open at 8. There were around 200 people before me so had no problem at all getting one.

Have to say Apple organisation couldn't be better. Very smoothly handled and even managed to get a discount because of the problems I had had with my iMac which I was pleased about as wasn't expecting to get one with it being a new product release!

Black 64GB WiFi + 4G for me:D

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
what about the camera quality for taking snapshots of documents? can it replace scanning?

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
South Africa is in the Third Tier, who knows when that will launch then! 1 Month, 2 Months...

Better check with CORE. Apple doesn't directly operate in SA but CORE, the official Value Adding Distributor, might had been given a release date.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm at Best Buy in The Woodlands, Texas and there's one other person in line with me. They're handing out tickets 2 hours early and then everyone can come back at 9 opening time to get their device. I got here at 4:30 or so. Was it with it? You bet it was!!!

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
what about the camera quality for taking snapshots of documents? can it replace scanning?

I just tested a couple of pics, ones a closeup of a pushpin - came out pretty good

The other is my local parish councils newsletter (first bit of paper I had at hand!), looks good quality too!

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 366

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Only losers queue up like that for a launch.

Its really pathetic.

I can't think of anything better that screams "I NEED A LIFE"

Its not like you can't get these delivered to the door any day for the next year.

I just tested a couple of pics, ones a closeup of a pushpin - came out pretty good

The other is my local parish councils newsletter (first bit of paper I had at hand!), looks good quality too!

Perhaps this could replace scanning to some degree. Glad the camera has vastly improved. I can actually envisage people using the optics taking pictures out and about however strange thats gonna look! Shame they never incorporated the Facetime HD camera in there. That to me is a strange omission from this model. I cant see the ipad evolving much more next year form factor wise, a new A6 chip perhaps and the FT HD camera will probably be the only aadditions year on year now.

----------

Walked straight into my Local PCWorld and got mine at 9am, no queues at all

Congrats! Enjoy! I reckon those who want one today have a very good chance of getting their hands on the new iPad. Would love to see the money counter racking up at Apple and just how many will be sold in a week!:D

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Been waiting at the Park City Mall location since 11pm. Surprised there was only 10 people until 5am, now were inside waiting, got our tickets ready and everything! 20 more minutes till I buy my new iPad!!!

jesseappleseed

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
just thought i would share this i live in nyc two blocks from the apple store and i just walked in to the radio shack and was in an out in 2 min with my iPad no line no wait!!!!

iTeleport

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
The most unattractive thing about iPads is that bulky connector and the wire hanging out. I'm quite surprised Apple's designers haven't spotted this while walking around their stores. Surely there's an alternative?

newipad1-500x335.jpg

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Well, yes, but who would care about the 4G LTE when you can use the faster and cheaper 3G (wich is classed also as 4G in Hong Kong) conections? The LTE in the US is neccecary because the networks are simply so bad, that its the only way to have half decent thruput. But even LTE in the US is not coming up to half the speed of regular HDSPA conections in Hong Kong or elsewhere.

Agreed. Good HSPA+ connection should get you over 10 MBs download. That should be fast enough to stream HD movies without a hitch. How much better can LTE be? I guess the internet would be just a touch snappier at 20 MBs download speed. But the difference shouldn't be very noticeable. Maybe on the few times when a friend emails you a bunch of pictures, the pictures might take a little longer to load, but besides that, at certain point a connection is "fast enough".

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Agreed. Good HSPA+ connection should get you over 10 MBs download. That should be fast enough to stream HD movies without a hitch. How much better can LTE be? I guess the internet would be just a touch snappier at 20 MBs download speed. But the difference shouldn't be very noticeable. Maybe on the few times when a friend emails you a bunch of pictures, the pictures might take a little longer to load, but besides that, at certain point a connection is "fast enough".

The "new" iPad has DC-HSDPA which is about 42 Mb/s, probably faster than LTE in the US, many countries have this or are starting up to get this, and that's more than enough for now.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Love the fact that macrumors reports on scalpers in Hong Kong, but of course totally ignores the thousands of new iPads popping up on ebay.

Because of course it's just those ****ing foreigners that pull this ****.

Love from Asia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.