Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Starting a few days ago, iPhone 4S. Every so often, it seems randomly, when I'm using the phone I get prompted for my iTunes password. I enter it without error, get no error message.

But then nothing else appears to happen, until I'm prompted for it again a couple hours later.

My first thought was that I had a stalled download on the phone? But I don't see one.

Any guess as to what's going on?

Starting a couple nights ago, my daughter was downloading a bunch of purchased songs and one of them is apparently corrupted and stuck in never-never land. Keeps trying to download to our iTunes PC with no luck. Coincidence?

Thanks very much,
Chris

Pathfinder3

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Okinawa, JP
iTunes may be always trying to update Ping. If you don't use Ping on your iPhone, you can disable it by going into Settings>General>Restrictions. Create an easy to remember number password and toggle off Ping.

Bonus, since you're here, toggle off YouTube. It'll force your phone to open YouTube videos on Safari rather than the app. It's way better.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
iTunes may be always trying to update Ping. If you don't use Ping on your iPhone, you can disable it by going into Settings>General>Restrictions. Create an easy to remember number password and toggle off Ping.
Bonus, since you're here, toggle off YouTube. It'll force your phone to open YouTube videos on Safari rather than the app. It's way better.

Good idea, done. Thanks.

kyndal

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
this is happening to my phone too. embarissingly enough a Drake song got caught up downloading, works half the time and my phone is prompting for my password continually. deactivated ping and youtube hoping it helps so i don't have to venture to the apple store.

StickyC

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I had the same issue. I believe this happened after I changed my iTunes password. I had my iPhone set to automatically sync purchases from iTunes to the device so every time I bought something in iTunes, the phone would prompt for the password to install the app.

To fix it, I went to Settings/Store and selected tapped the Apple ID: button and logged out, then logged back in to my existing account with the new password. Now I don't get prompted anymore.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I don't know if this is why you're having the problem, but it happened to me because my very young daughter was tapping like mad on the iPad, which would bring up the App Store and eventually try to download something. She didn't know the password but tapped away, until the password timed out.

I disabled the AppStore on the iPad, which solved the problem.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
:apple:
I think I exactly know what you folks are talking about. As we all know with the IOS 5, there is this feature that links all your IOS devices togethere aka if you download something in one of your devices that automatically downloads to your other IOS device. So that message that you get is just to tell you that someone downloaded something on their device and would come to your device now. Hope it helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.