Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

Attachments

• retina.jpg
    retina.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 565

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
Laptops are for adults. That's why I want it to come with inferior hardware so I can use it as a facebook machine. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3yltq8XDM

There you have it. Ivy Bridge can satisfy your gaming needs very well.

Children, try to realize already that it is impossible to put 200+ watts of real gaming power on to those tiny little laptops. How hard it can be to realize that?

Try to put 200w light bulb between your legs and keep it there for 2hrs and then come back telling how nice it feels and how high the FPS is

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
There will be only slim MacBookPro as the news said.

No more optical drives.

You dont need powerful GPU in a laptop. If you are a gamer, you play with iOS or Xbox perhaps even AppleTV will have some games.

Laptops are for adults. Not for gaming children.

Every post of you is trolling at it's best. First of all, iOS is not a gaming platform. Second, a dedicated graphics card is not only needed for games, but also for a bunch of other applications. Saying you don't need a graphics card is like saying you don't need a brain.

I really hope Apple puts SSD in the new MBP or at least some HDD+SDD combo. If they remove the ODD, that would mean a lot of space for a bigger battery, maybe powering a hi-res display?

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011

Children, try to realize already that it is impossible to put 200+ watts of real gaming power on to those tiny little laptops. How hard it can be to realize that?

Try to put 200w light bulb between your legs and keep it there for 2hrs and then come back telling how nice it feels and how high the FPS is

Ivy Bridge graphics will still be worse than whatever discrete solutions are available. No one is talking about putting a desktop card in the machine, ffs.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I can't stand the term 'retina display' its marketing BS from Apple at its best. At first they claimed it to be on par (or better) than typical print resolution (300dpi) and yet the term is still used even for the iPad when its well below the 300dpi mark.

I'd expect noobs in the public to be duped by the term, but not anyone on forums like this one, most of us here are pretty tech savvy.

I don't get this attitude. The term 'Retina Display' has a perfectly clear and verifiable meaning: a display that has a high enough PPI that, when viewed from a normal distance by someone with normal eyesight, individual pixels are not visible.

There's nothing marketing BS about this - it's merely a simple term that is easy to say which means something perfectly clear and, above all, testable with good solid mathematics.

The 300 PPI referred to the iPhone and compared it to a printed book. It was used as a way to clarify the meaning without complex mathematics. It has since been very neatly clarified on many occasions.

Why do you have such an issue with it?

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
Every post of you is trolling at it's best. First of all, iOS is not a gaming platform. Second, a dedicated graphics card is not only needed for games, but also for a bunch of other applications. Saying you don't need a graphics card is like saying you don't need a brain.

I really hope Apple puts SSD in the new MBP or at least some HDD+SDD combo. If they remove the ODD, that would mean a lot of space for a bigger battery, maybe powering a hi-res display?

I hope that for gamers there will be external ThunderBolt GPU's no need for super GPU inside those laptops...

These are premium products and Apple is trying to get piece of the Enterprise Business market too and you just dont care what gaming teenagers would wish.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple has never claimed that the retina display was based on print resolutions or 300 dpi. They have always maintained that a retina display has a pixel density high enough to where "normal" humans can not resolve the individual pixels.

IIRC, during the iPhone4 announcement, Jobs even mention that the retina display was based on a typical viewing distance. In the iPad (3rd gen) announcement, they elaborated on that by showing that typically, iPads are held at a farther distance away from the eyes, therefore, at 264 dpi, the individual pixels are undetectable.

DPI and PPI would both equal to 300 each where the human eye cant see past, even up close. The human eye has trouble seeing individual dots/pixels past 240dpi/ppi, but everyone is different so not everyone has the trouble.

Regardless, its a marketing term that should be a tech spec that deserves the term retina display which unfortunately it doesnt because its too loose of a term.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
SSD + HD, please!

+1!!

If the optical drive is removed but there is no space for a secondary drive, (currently I have SSD + HDD, one for OS X and the other for storage) I will have no reason to buy another MacBook Pro as it will officially negate it being marketed as a 'Pro' laptop.

SSD drives are too expensive to have as a single drive solution and for mass storage.

Kind of in the same boat. If the new MBPs have no spinning drive for storage, I'll stick with my early 2011 15" MBP, put in a SDD+HDD solution, and keep it for the next 2-3 years. By then, perhaps 500+ GB SSDs will be affordable.

They could certainly keep it in and still get thinner. Current MBPs take 12.5 mm drives, so they could shave off 3 mm just by getting rid of that clearance.

Also, getting rid of the optical drive is more than just removing a component that has a fixed height. It also frees up a lot of *volume* which gives the designers more flexibility in cooling, PCB layout, battery size, and tapering.

Aragorn234

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
No Retina display. It would use too much battery to run.
I say abs limber form factor and maybe a Hybrid HDD would be great. As far as the GPU goes, I would expect a high performance card, as the Intel 4000 integrated chip is pretty good by most accounts.

This would make it a good desktop replacement. Battery friendly display and GPU on battery, but can really get up and going when powered and connected to an external display (rememberthesechips can switch between the integrated and discreet GPU as required)

a-bob

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Seriously, I can't remember the last time I used the optical drive on my MBP. Not saying others don't need it...but for me...there's no need anymore.

Damien

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury

Stop calling people who want a dedicated graphics card children. You don't know what you talking about. First of all people do a lot of graphics work on laptops, using it as a desktop replacement rather than placing it on their legs. That doesn't work so well with the 17" for example.

Besides if an adult wants to play a PC game or two they are allowed to do so without your patronising tone.

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
Who are they making these for?

No optical drive?

I'm a videographer whose clients almost always request a DVD of a video.

I also have a large collection of CDs I'd like to import into iTunes.

No optical drive will make both these points a problem.

Apple gets too far ahead of itself for the sake of a slim design.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
DPI and PPI would both equal to 300 each where the human eye cant see past, even up close. The human eye has trouble seeing individual dots/pixels past 240dpi/ppi, but everyone is different so not everyone has the trouble.

Regardless, its a marketing term that should be a tech spec that deserves the term retina display which unfortunately it doesnt because its too loose of a term.

Why is it too loose? We know very clearly what the eye is capable of and we can be fairly clear on the normal distance at which a display is viewed. Sure, you could try to game it by pretending a display is used further away than it really is but that's pretty hard to do for portable devices - we hold them in our hands after all.

If we were rigid about the 300ppi then any devices other than smartphones would have to have massive amounts of redundant pixels in order to use the term Retina Display. Seems a bit pointless to me to be able to not see pixels when my TV is two inches from my face!

I think most reasonable people are comfortable with the term retina display because it means something perfectly clear and testable.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I don't get this attitude. The term 'Retina Display' has a perfectly clear and verifiable meaning: a display that has a high enough PPI that, when viewed from a normal distance by someone with normal eyesight, individual pixels are not visible.

There's nothing marketing BS about this - it's merely a simple term that is easy to say which means something perfectly clear and, above all, testable with good solid mathematics.

The 300 PPI referred to the iPhone and compared it to a printed book. It was used as a way to clarify the meaning without complex mathematics. It has since been very neatly clarified on many occasions.

Why do you have such an issue with it?

Its BS because if what I've bolded in your comment is true than every LCD and CRT I've ever had in the last 15 years has been 'Retina Display' because I can't see a single pixel past the 40+ cm I sit behind my monitors.

But now you have people asking for a 'Retina Display' in LCD screens when by your logic it would mean that the pixels are large enough to see on monitors.

Thats exactly whats wrong with the term, its loose marketing horsecrap from Apple thats only generated ignorance from consumers. Until theres a real need for a 'Retina Display' LCD screen, its not coming to OS X even if support for it is available. The cons *today* outweigh the pros. This is bound to change eventually, but for now its not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.