Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
In my notification bar at the top of my iPhone4 screen (but not on my iPad2) there's a new icon right where the GPS indicator used to be. It's a little lock inside a circle, but the circle is actually a curved arrow. Anyone know what this is? Just noticed it. :confused:

bgtrack

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
East Lansing
Screen orientation lock. It means you can't turn your phone to landscape. To turn it off double click the home button and slide left on the bottom tray.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It’s actually one of the nice features. You access it double-tapping the home button, swiping right to get your music controls, and the rotation lock button is in the left corner.

Now, by default, it locks into portrait mode only. But you can rotate into landscape mode when it’s locked and it will stay locked in landscape mode. All you need to do is bring up Assistive Touch (enabled from Settings > General > Accessibility) and use the on-screen rotation controls. I set my phone to toggle the Assistive Touch controls on triple-tapping the home key for easy access.

Stever71

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Screen orientation lock. It means you can't turn your phone to landscape. To turn it off double click the home button and slide left on the bottom tray.

thanks..you just saved my 3yearold from being grounded for the rest of her life lol

dietmtndude

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
AppleCare(s) but almost completely untrained

I was on the phone with AppleCare discussing the interminable syncing issue (stuck on step 8 of 8) and I noticed this icon. Didn't know what it was, so I asked. SHE DIDN'T KNOW. She started searching for an answer. After 3-4 minutes I thought I would just search for it myself and found this thread and the answer. I shared the info with her and she thanked me. Good grief.

This is not the first time I spoke with AppleCare and the person on the other end was almost completely un-trained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.