Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One feature promised in OS X Mountain Lion was the ability to sync Safari tabs between different devices. Macworld reported it in their Mountain Lion Preview, but was unable to actually find the feature in their early build.
And although I couldn't find this feature in the version I tested, Apple says that Mountain Lion will bring the ability to sync Safari tabs to iCloud, so your open browser tabs can sync between Macs.
The features seems to be now implemented in the Developer Preview 2 that was released tonight. We received this screenshot which shows the feature button in Safari:

tabsync.jpg

The feature is believed to sync open tabs between Macs and iOS devices, providing you with a relatively seamless browsing experience across devices.

Update: Here's an image of it working across two Macs.

mbp.jpg

Article Link: Apple Adds iCloud Safari Tab Syncing to OS X Mountain Lion Preview 2

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
This is a pretty cool feature :) Hopefully third parties will have access to the API such as Atomic Web and Terra. :cool:

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
YAY! Can't wait to try this out. I've always wanted something like this. I believe Android has something like this with the Chrome browser on Windows and the Android browser. Hopefully, I can just tell it to sync a tab or two and not my entire OS X Safari session into iOS Safari.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have always wanted a feature like this. Glad it's coming in ML.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Sounds like a good feature. Not sure I'd use it all the time, but just having the option when I need it is good.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I hope I can turn that off. They shouldn't put it on the taskbar, let it be a preferences thing. Clunking up my browser.

Fear not. The toolbar is customizable: View > Customize Toolbar. (Or just right-click the toolbar.)

Mediaformae

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Braga, Portugal
Good idea!

So useful and yet so simple and obvious that is so dificult to remember a great feature like that.
The secret is always on the details, being most of them right unfer our nose.

JesseFogarty

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
This is a pretty cool feature :) Hopefully third parties will have access to the API such as Atomic Web and Terra. :cool:

I couldn't agree more allowing third-parties to access this API will be make or break. Safari's great but, doesn't quite offer nearly as much as alternatives such as Mercury Web Browser and Atomic web.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I'd settle for Apple re-implementing accessing bookmarks from remote computers; a function that was lost with the demise of dot mac.

moebis

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Slovakia
omnibox

Honestly, Safari having the omnibox like Chrome is the biggest win here. Now if they can only speed up Safari some more to be on par with Chrome.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
This is possible in iCloud, on all of your devices, today.
Really? I haven't switched over to iCloud. So I can go to any internet cafe Windows PC and access my bookmarks using Firefox? And then easily delete them from the remote computer?

Last edited:

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
This is possible in iCloud, on all of your devices, today.

I just did a little research. It looks like this is not possible, at least not in a way that is easily done on a public computer in which you don't have administrator permissions. In my opinion, the old dot mac method was superior.

naphatkrit

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
How would this work? iPad's Safari has a maximum number of 9 tabs, while Mac's Safari can have as many tabs as needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.