Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Used my new iPad around LA today on AT&T's network. The LTE speeds were horrible, ranging from 0.5 Mbps down/up to a maximum of about 3.5 Mbps down/up, with the average being somewhere in the middle.

I was in Beverly Hills, Koreatown, and downtown when I recorded these speeds.

What speeds have you been getting on AT&T's LTE network in LA? How about on Verizon?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Used my new iPad around LA today on AT&T's network. The LTE speeds were horrible, ranging from 0.5 Mbps down/up to a maximum of about 3.5 Mbps down/up, with the average being somewhere in the middle.

What speeds have you been getting on AT&T's LTE network in LA? How about on Verizon?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because of 10s of thousands of LTE devices coming online today that the servers were a little busy. I would think within a week it will die down when everyone is not trying to use it at once.

eikast

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
Michigan
AT&T is known for issues with their network. No surprise that their LTE network has having issues. They don't have any valid excuses either due to having only 30 available markets compared to 200 cities that Verizon services. Do yourself a favor and get he Verizon version. If you ever move to an area without Verizon LTE just plug in an AT&T sim card

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
AT&T is known for issues with their network. No surprise that their LTE network has having issues. They don't have any valid excuses either due to having only 30 available markets compared to 200 cities that Verizon services. Do yourself a favor and get he Verizon version. If you ever move to an area without Verizon LTE just plug in an AT&T sim card

I've never had issues with AT&T and their network. Been with them since they were originally AT&T, then Cingular then back to AT&T.. I still going with my gut that its the 10s of thousands of new LTE devices coming online for the first time. OP give it a week, if you still have problems either call AT&T and see whats up or get a Verizon iPad, but I have always stood by AT&T and their service.

Mamba4590

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010

Are you getting full bars? I'm by south central la and I get 1 bar and I'm only getting about 2mb down...

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I have my LTE phone with AT&T, so I figure I would diversify and try Verizon LTE . I get an avg of 2 bars with AT&T, verizon has given me 4 to 5 bars the whole day.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Both my wife and I received our AT&T iPads at 9:58AM. We set them up & took them to work.

I expected a good experience since LTE was activated here three months ago. What I got exceeded my best expectations.

Next to my iPad 2, the new one is a rocket. Web pages load so fast it made me laugh. Simply fantastic. Yet that said we've enjoyed great AT&T coverage for years. When I travel for business or pleasure I'm never disappointed.

My brother has Verizon. He also gets good service, just a bit slower, and limited due to the CDMA system.

These new iPads are great.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

This is why I went Verizon. Hate AT&T. I got 15 down and 5 up in Sherman oaks today.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Are you getting full bars? I'm by south central la and I get 1 bar and I'm only getting about 2mb down...

I averaged 2 bars and which got me about 1.5 down. Even with full bars, I was maxing 3.5 down. This was in Koreatown.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
AT&T is great for LTE in San Diego! 25-40 mbps down and around 12-15 up! I couldn't be happier. Come on down south!

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
yeah, when I first got the IPad which I returned all 5 back due to 4 really yellow tints, the LTE was at first not bad.

First test woot! 6 down 1.2 up
Second test after an hour. .... 3 down 1.2 up
So on =/ 1.4 down .47 up and after that its been stuck at that area.

The signal is so poor now =/ and the ping time has never been below 160.

I'm in Los Angeles, test was done in Glendale Apple Store =/

jinrawke

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I have ATT for my iPhone and specifically went Verizon for my first iPad... Glad I did. Speeds are great in Westwood and north Hollywood area

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
They aren't the only ones. AT&T is atrocious around my house (but I really don't care since I have FiOS). I did test some speeds in the area (central San Fernando Valley).

Typically, I get 3-4 bars until I try to use the cell service, then it drops to one bar. Before anyone questions why I didn't go Verizon: I have unlimited on the iPad, and Verizon sucks here too, 3 bars on average. The iPhone 4s (Verizon model) does not fare much better.

Here are some results:

EDIT:
Just checked the coverage map... all of northern Los Angeles is not covered by LTE... unbelievable... that explains the numbers...

Attachments

• IMG_0147.PNG
    IMG_0147.PNG
    95.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone run a test in the West LA/Santa Monica area? I have both LTE iPads and need to decide which to open and which to return to Apple. By the looks of it, Verizon seems to be winning here.

eikast

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
Michigan
Anyone run a test in the West LA/Santa Monica area? I have both LTE iPads and need to decide which to open and which to return to Apple. By the looks of it, Verizon seems to be winning here.

Test them both. Apple doesn't charge a restocking fee.

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
I can't even get my iPad to say LTE in Los Angeles (tried at work in Santa Monica and at home in Palms - I live between Motor & Overland). I'm not subscribed, but I read that it should still say LTE on it with the Wi-Fi off.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any updates on LTE speeds in Los Angeles?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.