Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
robertpolson
macrumors member

Notes App vs Evernote vs Notational Velocity

I haven't tried mount Lion yet.

Those of you who have the developers preview, can you please tell me about your experience with the new Notes App?

I am looking for a hybrid mix between Evernote and Notational Velocity. Evernote is a great idea, but it is too slow and too cluttered. Notational velocity is fast but it is text only and I want to have a few pictures from time to time.

Do you think that the new Notes app can replace these two?
robertpolson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Doombringer
macrumors regular

Evernote's strength comes in its cross-platform capability. Personally, I downloaded it thinking "wow, I could use this!" and then hardly ever touched it. For weeks.

I think ML's "Notes" will suffice for my needs, but it's not for everyone.
Doombringer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:02 AM   #3
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
I'm the same as the guy above, I downloaded Evernote thinking, this is awesome! But never use it... whereas I use notes on my iPhone/iPad all the time for things like Wifi Passwords, songs to download and obviously any other notes - on Mountain Lion you can add pictures so I think we can safely assume photos will be coming to iOS 6 Notes and with it's syncing across iCloud to the Mac I know I'll be using it quite a bit more.
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

I use the Note app because it does what it needs to do, simple and uses iCloud.

Plus I am picky about Third-Party app and there icons.
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
madmacfan
Banned

I wonder if the notes app for ML can be patched to run on lion. Would be great if it could be patched in some way or another.
madmacfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
TheGdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky29 View Post
I'm the same as the guy above, I downloaded Evernote thinking, this is awesome! But never use it... whereas I use notes on my iPhone/iPad all the time for things like Wifi Passwords, songs to download and obviously any other notes - on Mountain Lion you can add pictures so I think we can safely assume photos will be coming to iOS 6 Notes and with it's syncing across iCloud to the Mac I know I'll be using it quite a bit more.
Yea, at first evernote takes some time to get into using. But once you start using it, its amazing to have. Evernote is 1000x more powerful than the standard notes app. Categories, collaboration, cross platform, encryption for text, ect...

I love how I can setup shared notebooks with other users, and we can
collaborate. However by using the notes app, you will be more integrated with the apple iCloud system. So question is this

Do you want power or better integration?

There is not rule that says you can't use both, but it might be kinda disorganized.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

I personally use nvALT, a fork of Notational Velocity. I can't say how good or bad it will be for you, but it certainly is not anything like Evernote. On the plus side, you have an amazing interface, blazing fast searching and note creation, wonderful keyboard shortcuts and SimpleNote sync. As for images, nvALT supports (multi)markdown, so you can add images. And with custom CSS you can format it as you like it.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #8
robertpolson
macrumors member

I have tested the Notes App on Mountain Lion and I can simply say that it sucks. It may be sufficient for casual users who make notes from time to time but for anything a little bit more serious it is not good.

1. I really do not like to look at the linear yellow pad all the time. Might have been cool a few years ago, but now I just want plain white.

2. No tags and no folders.

2. Inserting images is very basic.

After using nvALT for a while I think I might be switching to Evernote and use nvALT for short term notes and writing workflow.
robertpolson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:02 PM   #9
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
It may be sufficient for casual users who make notes from time to time but for anything a little bit more serious it is not good.
Frankly everything Apple has done for the Mac since Lion is for casual use. The only Apple apps that I still use are from the Leopard/Snow Leopard era (which still are fantastic). And I think ML Notes is intended for creating quick shopping lists or to-dos.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:18 AM   #10
bogdanf
macrumors newbie

Smile Metanota

I had a few requirements for a note-taking/organizer on Mac :

- should have folders (and full control of them)
- should be well integrated in the OSX environment (full screen, common UI paradigm)
- should present my notes nicely (fonts, spacing, titles, lists)
- should be 100% integrated with a cloud notes provider I use on other platforms too (SimpleNote or Evernote)
- should look GOOD and tidy

The problem was that I didn't found one to suit those simple needs :-( So, I remembered that I am developer and wrote one.

It's still young and basic but at least I have one happy user for sure : me :_)

Last edited by bogdanf; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
bogdanf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:26 AM   #11
-MRB
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanf View Post
I had a few requirements for a note-taking/organizer on Mac :

- should have folders (and full control of them)
- should be well integrated in the OSX environment (full screen, common UI paradigm)
- should present my notes nicely (fonts, spacing, titles, lists)
- should be 100% integrated with a cloud notes provider I use on other platforms too (SimpleNote or Evernote)
- should look GOOD and tidy

The problem was that I didn't found one to suit those simple needs :-( So, I remembered that I am developer and wrote one : metanota.com.

It's still young and basic but at least I have one happy user for sure : me :_)
Lol awesome advertisement.
-MRB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:33 AM   #12
bogdanf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MRB View Post
Lol awesome advertisement.
My statement is 100% true @-) This is how I thought of writing the app. And it was very fun also.

But I removed the link, maybe it was not appropriate to put it there.

Last edited by bogdanf; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
bogdanf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:46 AM   #13
-MRB
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanf View Post
My statement is 100% true @-) This is how I though of writing the app. And it was very fun also.

But I removed he link, maybe it was not appropriate to put it there.
I was only jesting It looked quite good.
-MRB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:46 AM   #14
iodevlab
macrumors newbie

sideNote

You should check out this quick little notes app I made called sideNote
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/siden...18811062?mt=12

I hope its useful
iodevlab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 PM   #15
terrymaz
macrumors regular

+ 1 for the sideNote app. Best couple bucks i ever spent. Quick, clean, simple, and fast.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 PM   #16
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmacfan View Post
I wonder if the notes app for ML can be patched to run on lion. Would be great if it could be patched in some way or another.
Notes are a part of the mail app.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:04 AM   #17
w00t951
macrumors 68000

I use Catch for Android. It's pretty, fast, and supports text, photos, audio recordings, and sync.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
jgz
macrumors regular

evernote > all, mainly because of the Webclipper-Extension for Browsers and there is just a monthly traffic limit, but generally you can store as many pics etc. you want!

I use it quite for everything...

If you are interested, how other people use Evernote, you can take a look at Evernote user stories

have fun

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
notes app