Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

str8bucs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
WV
Well I have been up in the air about a case and I like the way the smart case works but don't like how it can break away.

So I picked up the incipio smart feather for the iPad 2 and a black leather smart cover and I love it. It's slim and the smart cover just works, I was worried about the camera hole but it is dead on and it just works great.

So if you are looking for protection and a slim fit those 2 are perfect

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Well I have been up in the air about a case and I like the way the smart case works but don't like how it can break away.

So I picked up the incipio smart feather for the iPad 2 and a black leather smart cover and I love it. It's slim and the smart cover just works, I was worried about the camera hole but it is dead on and it just works great.

So if you are looking for protection and a slim fit those 2 are perfect

I have that combo, along with a Moko II that I impulse bought when they were 1/2 off. I like the slim combo, but definitely need something with more protection like the Moko at times. Unfortunately, it looks like the Moko has the same magnet placement issues others do, though they were very prompt and will be taking care of it.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I bought the Smart Feather as soon as they went on sale. Should be here in the next few days. I'll post back with my thoughts, but a major factor was the fact that it locks the smat cover in place.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Hi,

OP is using the iPad 2 version and he told me that it's a perfect fit via PM.

Hope this helps

Fart. I almost grabbed one but figure it wouldn't work and grabbed a Speck Fitfolio instead. It's nice, but I just hate folio cases. Back to WM tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Waiting on my NGP to get here!

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I tried two different incipio feather cases for iPad 2; they both fit, albeit a little tight with the camera hole off by about 2-3 mm on the back. Also, I am noticing a bulge across the middle of the back, I am assuming this is from a tight fit. Are you seeing that as well OP?

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
What is this smart feather that everyone is talking about? Saw few pics, but is it only the back case or does it include the smart cover? If yes, is it removable?

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
Just wondering, did Apple "fix" the smart cover problems that I constantly saw when they were released. Such as ripping, magnets being flimsy in holding it to the screen, or marks/scratches do to unnoticeable friction between the side of the bezel and the smart cover's magnets?

I would love to get it, but I'm so unconvinced about the smart cover...

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Hi,

OP is using the iPad 2 version and he told me that it's a perfect fit via PM.

Hope this helps

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info!

----------

Just wondering, did Apple "fix" the smart cover problems that I constantly saw when they were released. Such as ripping, magnets being flimsy in holding it to the screen, or marks/scratches do to unnoticeable friction between the side of the bezel and the smart cover's magnets?

I would love to get it, but I'm so unconvinced about the smart cover...

I've been using a leather smart cover with the iPad 2 and now my new one with no issues at all. I'm constantly folding it in half and rolling it to prop it up on a desk too.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Fart. I almost grabbed one but figure it wouldn't work and grabbed a Speck Fitfolio instead. It's nice, but I just hate folio cases. Back to WM tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Waiting on my NGP to get here!

does the speck fit folio work with the ipad, some were saying it doesnt work with the 3rd gen, if thats the case Ill buy one to hold me over until my other cases come in.

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
I've been using a leather smart cover with the iPad 2 and now my new one with no issues at all. I'm constantly folding it in half and rolling it to prop it up on a desk too.

Thanks! I've been thinking with my white iPad, a navy blue smart cover would look so well...anyone know anywhere where you can get these for less than 69 a pop...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
OP, I have the exact combo you are getting. Got the Incipio back 15 minutes ago and it is on the back of my new iPad now. Fits great and box says fits both the newiPad and the 2.

Nopunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I tried two different incipio feather cases for iPad 2; they both fit, albeit a little tight with the camera hole off by about 2-3 mm on the back. Also, I am noticing a bulge across the middle of the back, I am assuming this is from a tight fit. Are you seeing that as well OP?

+1 on that from me. My frost one clips in but does not sit flush to back and bulges out. It also cracked and broke in 3 to 4 places after 6 months on my iPad 2, but that is another matter.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
What is this smart feather that everyone is talking about? Saw few pics, but is it only the back case or does it include the smart cover? If yes, is it removable?

Only back case and it is removable to use without smart cover or with smart cover

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

No bulge for me

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
post pics

Here are pics of the camera being off center, and how it looks around the speaker grill and bottom.

This is the new iPad with iPad 2 smart feather.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009952.742632.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009952.742632.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 271
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009971.281037.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009971.281037.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 267

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Here are pics of the camera being off center, and how it looks around the speaker grill and bottom.

This is the new iPad with iPad 2 smart feather.

The new smart feather fits the new iPad perfectly, photo not clear, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• smart_feather.PNG
    smart_feather.PNG
    200.8 KB · Views: 296

bperrella

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010

Is this on a 2nd or 3rd gen iPad? If it is a second gen, does anyone know if the snap shield from Berlin will fit the new iPad?

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Is the Smart Feather the best option for back protection with the Smartcover?
Are there any other cases like this?

rwings01

Suspended
Aug 17, 2010
YELLOW TINT IPHONE 12 PANELS
Is this on a 2nd or 3rd gen iPad? If it is a second gen, does anyone know if the snap shield from Berlin will fit the new iPad?

The belkin is for the Ipad 2, but fits perfectly on my new iPad (3rd gen) shown in the pics. 3rg gen iPad shown in the pictures.

----------

Is the Smart Feather the best option for back protection with the Smartcover?
Are there any other cases like this?

Both are good, but I prefer the Belkin as it protects the top/bottom of the iPad (3rd gen) a little more imo. Either would be fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.