Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flower1988

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Ghost armor screen protector

I know this will sound like an ad, but I really love this product and would suggest it to anyone with a device that has a screen. there is a company called GHOST ARMOR. Its a really high quality screen protector that heals itself and prevents the damage on my screen, I applied it on when i noticed the scratches, since then i have had no scratches on the screen, and my mac has a nice glossy look since i armored the entire device. they apply the protector for you and if you ever feel like you want it reapplied they will replace it for only a few more bucks (i think its like $5 for the screen) (that is valid for the life of the product) I put ghost armor on all my devices, have never worried about any of them since.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I know this will sound like an ad, but I really love this product and would suggest it to anyone with a device that has a screen. there is a company called GHOST ARMOR. Its a really high quality screen protector that heals itself and prevents the damage on my screen, I applied it on when i noticed the scratches, since then i have had no scratches on the screen, and my mac has a nice glossy look since i armored the entire device. they apply the protector for you and if you ever feel like you want it reapplied they will replace it for only a few more bucks (i think its like $5 for the screen) (that is valid for the life of the product) I put ghost armor on all my devices, have never worried about any of them since.

What do you mean it "heals itself"?

Your best bet is to pick up a radtech cloth (much cheaper) or even better, any microfiber cloth that will fit (cheapest solution).

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I had the same issue, therefore I went to the Apple Store, and luckily without any problem they replaced my screen. At the beginning I thought that this was an construction issue of my machine, nevertheless after few weeks the same problem happened with the new one!!!!

That sucks Apple should really fix this this!!

Did you get the second one replaced, or will they only replace it once? This seems like a huge design flaw. I use my computer for business, I don't have the time to remember to take out and put in a microfiber cloth. If I have my MBA in a meeting, do I really want to put a cloth down on a table next to papers and food. No. The portability portion of the computer shouldn't hinder the enjoyment of a screen.

In any case, I had a HUGE ordeal getting mine replaced. Had to go up the exec chain to get it solved, finally was resolved. It was my first truly bad experience with Apple and led me to end up upgrading my PC, now I dual box :D

I still love OS X/my Air, but dealing with the hassles is getting to be a bit much for the price they continue to charge. Such is life though.

tl;dr Did you get your second scratched screen replaced or was it one time only?

mynameis321

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I'm so sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to get the 13" 2013 Air and I wanted to know if this problem occurs on these Air's or if it's been rectified now with this years model. This problem sounds like a nightmare for me

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
I searched for this thread and found one for the old MBA but not the new 2011 MBA 11/13", so forgive me if I missed a duplicate thread.

Does anyone else have the problem with their MBA having hairline scratches on the screen from contact with the keyboard or trackpad? I didn't realize this was happening on my 13" until I tried to clean it and noticed there are small dot scratches running in a line all the way across the screen. It lines up perfectly with the space bar and the metal dip under the keyboard before it meets the trackpad.

Anyone have any success with any cleaners getting this removed they can recommend? Or did they have success with the Apple Store repairing it? I've found Apple is much more reticent now that they are so big to do repairs like they did in the olden days, so the thought of fighting Apple on this is not exciting to say the least.

I always carry my MBA in my backpack with a lot of books, the only thing I suggest doing ( especially if you get it fixed) is to get a screen cover for it. I have a screen cover on mine, and it definitely prevents against scratches on the actual screen. I can see the keyboard outline on my screen cover, which is weird but makes me happy that I invested in a screen cover that prevents my mac from getting scratched:)

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
How the hell does one scratch one of these? Seriously of you manage to scratch your display or trackpad then an apple product isn't for you.

Gabichon

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2011
Canada
How the hell does one scratch one of these? Seriously of you manage to scratch your display or trackpad then an apple product isn't for you.

The scratches happen because the keyboard touches the screen when the lid is closed. And when there is even the slightest pressure on the lid when closed (like when it is in a backpack..) it touches the aluminum part between the keyboard and trackpad and then creates a scratch line, just like what you see in the picture of the first post. So if you don't put something like a microfiber cloth between screen and body and you carry the MBA in a backpack, you WILL get scratches on screen almost guaranteed.

mynameis321

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I always carry my MBA in my backpack with a lot of books, the only thing I suggest doing ( especially if you get it fixed) is to get a screen cover for it. I have a screen cover on mine, and it definitely prevents against scratches on the actual screen. I can see the keyboard outline on my screen cover, which is weird but makes me happy that I invested in a screen cover that prevents my mac from getting scratched:)

Screen cover as in a micro fibre cloth?

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
Screen cover as in a micro fibre cloth?

No screen cover as in it sticks to the aluminum around the screen, this is the one that I have purchased and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/MacBook-Air-1...8-4&keywords=macbook+air+13'+screen+protector

Its worth the money and you don't even see that it is there, it is completely flush with the aluminum the only problem is because it sticks to the aluminum and not on the screen it interferes with the magnets that help shut the laptop, so if you tilt the MBA up it has a very small gap when you tilt it upwards.Other than that its great and I don't plan on taking it off, especially since I see keyboard scratched on the cover.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I had this problem on my 2010 MBA although it was replaced under Applecare without any issue in just a few hours at the Apple store in Glasgow.

Pretty sure the problem is user related, in that unless you are carrying in a backpack with other items I doubt you'd get this problem, but packing it in tightly and then moving around pushes things together given the small tolerances. I would have thought this is still a problem now, if carried in this way.

I bought and started to use a Radtech ScreenSavrz Laptop Keyboard Cover and haven't had any problems since. The cloth is now in use on my 2013 MBA as the 2010 version pretty much lives at home on a coffee table :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.