Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
just wondering....every where ipad3 are in Stock... i just called 2 best buys near my home, and both have ipad3 in stock...same with Apple TV3, i pre- ordered ATV from apple online store and its estimated to deliver after 26 march...

But, best buys have in stock..going to pick that from BB. cancled my Online order..:D

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Perhaps Apple planned to have enough this time. Apple has been doing major launches like this since 2007, with 5 iPhones released and now 3 iPads. Im sure they planned ahead of time so there won't be shortages. The iPad 2 launch was a mess. This launch was way smoother! Great job, Apple!

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Perhaps Apple planned to have enough this time. Apple has been doing major launches like this since 2007, with 5 iPhones released and now 3 iPads. Im sure they planned ahead of time so there won't be shortages. The iPad 2 launch was a mess. This launch was way smoother! Great job, Apple!

LOL! This guy must be on the Apple payroll!

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I think it has to do with a couple things:

1) They didn't allow preorders last year.

2) They learned from last year's launch and reved up production.

3) Dropping the iPad 2 by $100 bucks may draw some potential buyers away from the new iPad.

I'm guessing the numbers will be at least comparable but think they will be much higher. And, if people with iPad 1 or 2s did not upgrade immediately, once they see a friend's new iPad they will seriously consider making the move.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010

3) Dropping the iPad 2 by $100 bucks may draw some potential buyers away from the new iPad.

I'm guessing the numbers will be at least comparable but think they will be much higher. And, if people with iPad 1 or 2s did not upgrade immediately, once they see a friend's new iPad they will seriously consider making the move.

I heard on the news sales are higher than last year. Keep in mind last year at this time the tsunami hit and caused a ton of issues with production and shipping. Presales were huge this year too, and every one we get at home is one more that the brick and mortar stores have in stock.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
not the same sales model

Apple has their analysis down to a science and they were gearing up for the rollout for months. Removing the demand from the street by allowing the preorders took the pressure off of retail in large part.

It will be easy to see who is right because early next week the sales figures will be released. What we are going to see is huge numbers beating the iPad 2.

And that my friends will be that. :cool:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
A year ago Apple did not have nearly as much money as they do now to increase production plus last year there were scarce resources due to the tsunami that hit Japan

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
They get hammered when they don't have enough available stock at launch, and then the demand for the product is questioned when they do.... Can't win either way - except at the bank!

Sneakerhead

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Too much competition

ehhh i herd the new ipad is still heavily stocked everywhere and the lines were waste and it only showed how much pplz are into the fad rather then the devices. Mad props for building that buzz with their marketing but the consumer is definitely getting much smarter! :apple:

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
I also thought it did not sell as much. I then learnt that previously only Apple stores carried it but now you can preorder online, Sam's club, walmart, Target and even other smaller stores. I got 2 myself.... I did not want to get but someone offered to buy 2 of my ipad 2 so.... oh well. I hate doing this yearly... no wonder they can build nice glass Apple stores internationally....

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC

This. A lack of preorders = massive lines down the blocks. Plus, more stores besides Best Buy started picking up on the huge potential in revenue from iPads, so they all started competing for pre-orders and sales, which reduced lines overall.

Plus, Apple geared up for a wider global release. Clearly they had more in stock in preparation.

seven654three

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Well...Steve Jobs can only die once.

R.I.P. Steve but in all reality, Sales will come back down to earth a bit. All in All sales are still good.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Well...Steve Jobs can only die once.

R.I.P. Steve but in all reality, Sales will come back down to earth a bit. All in All sales are still good.

Huh?

Got any reasoning why 'sales will come back down to earth', or are you just pulling this from thin air? The company was never just 1 guy developing amazing products. Too bad people like you will continue to say "Yeah, but...Steve died", without realizing that Tim Cook is as strong of a CEO as anybody in the world. And sales are good? Nah, they are shattering already impressive records.

But don't listen to me, because Apple's founder died. This negates everything.

----------

LOL! This guy must be on the Apple payroll!

That must be the ONLY way someone didn't trash Apple: they must be paying him. You got it dude!

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Huh?

Got any reasoning why 'sales will come back down to earth', or are you just pulling this from thin air? The company was never just 1 guy developing amazing products. Too bad people like you will continue to say "Yeah, but...Steve died", without realizing that Tim Cook is as strong of a CEO as anybody in the world. And sales are good? Nah, they are shattering already impressive records.

----------

That must be the ONLY way someone didn't trash Apple: they must be paying him. You got it dude!

Lol - I have a buddy who thinks Apple is going down all because Jobs passed away.. As if Steve singlehandedly ran Apple.. all by himself.. Designed everything, etc.etc...

Edit: This topic is totally relevant to iPad hacks, though..

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Lol - I have a buddy who thinks Apple is going down all because Jobs passed away.. As if Steve singlehandedly ran Apple.. all by himself.. Designed everything, etc.etc...

Edit: This topic is totally relevant to iPad hacks, though..

Show your buddy Apple's stock price since Steve's death. It's staggering.

----------

Just looked it up. AAPL is up over 60% since Steve's death. They have increased $213 billion in that time. That's almost 1 Microsoft. Your friend is a fool.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Show your buddy Apple's stock price since Steve's death. It's staggering.

----------

Just looked it up. AAPL is up over 60% since Steve's death. They have increased $213 billion in that time. That's almost 1 Microsoft. Your friend is a fool.

Analysts are projecting $1000/share by year end. It was $375 when he died. It was over $600 this morning. Jobs was on medical leave for months before that. That guy's buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
is that not more than the combined sales of Motorola's zoom, and RIM's tablet??? :D

Motorola and RIM sales mean nothing to shareholders. It's all about building growth. The question is can Apple maintain their lead with the iPad 3. If iPad 3 does not exceed sales of iPad 2 and if there's no new product in the pipe line Apple will cease to amaze. How many times can you buy a product with only a handful of changes? That's why a 3.5 inch iphone 5 will be a disaster. The only reason I bought a ipad 3 was because Apple rules the tablet arena and I never bought the second gen. The issue is that iPad 3 will not appeal to the majority of ipad 2 users. Just look at all those Chinese in New York returning iPads.

Here's an example. Ford does not care how many cars Toyota sales. McDonalds does not care how many whoopers are sold. Your goal is to increase growth for your own product. Google could decide not to make any more tablets. But if iPad sales stink they stink and it's reflected in it's stock price.

Ipad sales = 20 million

Ipad 2 sales = 25 million

Ipad 3 sales = 15 million

Ipad 4 sales = 10 million

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
People really think the ipad3 won't be as successful as iPad2? That's funny! :D

This is the usual "couple of weeks to insult Apple" before the numbers are released. Nothing to see here hehe :D

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

seven654three

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Huh?

I did not say they wouldn't be successful or Tim Cook was not satisfactory. It's simply an analogy in regards to buzz or "hype". You cannot for a fact say that Steve Jobs death did not have an effect on the iPad 2 release.

Compare it to say Michael Jackson. Do you think "This is It" would have been nearly as successful or highly rated if he did not die during that time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.