Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of the third-generation Apple TV late last week, one forum member at XBMC.org has performed a teardown of the device, revealing a number of details about its internals.

As Apple notes on the tech specs page for the new Apple TV, the device utilizes a unique single-core A5 system-on-a-chip, an upgrade from the A4 package found in the previous generation but lacking the dual-core processor found in the A5 chip used in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The Apple TV teardown reveals a typical-looking A5 chip at first glance, carrying date codes suggesting it was manufactured during the seventh week of 2012, or mid-February.

apple_tv_3_board.jpg
The processor inside the new Apple TV's A5 package is identified as APL2498, indicating a variation on the APL0498 processor found in the standard dual-core A5. The part number for the RAM included in the chip suggests that it is a 512 MB chip from Hynix, a boost from the 256 MB of RAM found in the A4 package on the previous-generation Apple TV.

As for flash storage, the format of the part number stamped on the chip implies that it is an 8 GB part from Toshiba, meaning that the device carries the same storage capacity as found in the previous-generation model. Given that the Apple TV is a streaming-only device, on-board storage is only required to support the operating system and buffering of streaming content.

There had been some speculation that Apple could boost the on-board storage in order to handle larger 1080p content supported on the updated model, but it appears that Apple still views 8 GB as sufficient given limited increases in file size for 1080p content. Maintaining 8 GB of on-board storage undoubtedly also helps Apple maintain the $99 pricing on the Apple TV given other improvements such as the A5 chip.

Finally, the new Apple TV appears to contain a second antenna that was not present in the previous-generation model, although it is unclear exactly how the new antenna is being used to improve performance.

Article Link: Teardown of New Apple TV Reveals Same 8 GB Flash Storage, Bump to 512 MB RAM

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
I for one am amazed Apple can pack this much technology inside a box and still sell it for under 100 bucks.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
The people that were holding out for a fullhd atv should get this one. But people who already have one are not going to be pushed to swap theirs.

This isn't really a significant upgrade like the the new iPad. And I can't believe it still doesn't have gigabit ethernet! Must be expensive:eek:

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
for $99

It's pretty nice for $99. It's gonna be amazing to see when the real Apple Tv comes out. Going from $99 to $2,999 is a topic starter for any kind of conversation.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I for one am amazed Apple can pack this much technology inside a box and still sell it for under 100 bucks.

This. ...and truly, the Apple TV is an incredible amount of computing power for a hundred bucks. I could see using a jailbreak to repurpose these for a myriad of purposes, especially since it's essentially entirely solid-state.

fo0bar

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I bought one this afternoon, and it is worth noting that this generation DOES support 5GHz 802.11n. (The 2nd gen supported N, but only 2.4GHz.)

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Not going to lie, I like the new Apple TV too, but I really enjoy my Roku 2 XS. The Roku may not have the slickest interface, but it offers alot of content. :)

JonKean

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
second antenna is either a dedicated 5ghz antenna, or a second dual band 2.4/5ghz antenna and the apple tv supports 300mhz 5ghz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.