Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satyr

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Building an iCar factory is the necessary consequence of this.

All electric. Unibody Aluminum Frame. Integrated Siri system.

2013 Release: One color, black.
2013.5 iCar S Release: White or Black
2014 Release: :apple: Chromatic

Duh.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Why? The stock price is already very high and all a stock buy back would do is increase the share price. My money is on a dividend of some sort. It is not Apple's money, it is the shareholders money. And if it is just going to sit there, it should be returned to them.

What do you think a dividend payment will do to the stock price?

Any business decision that DOESN'T drive stock price is a bad business decision. Remember, Apple's prime objective as a company is to generate value for its shareholders. That is their number 1 priority. Everything else is marketing fluff talk.

----------

Is that legal?

Of course, why not. Everybody can purchase Apple shares, even Apple themselves.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
From my now-locked thread...

I'm actually worried it could be a boring dividend.

But that would be the expected thing, so hopefully they skate to where the puck will be.

* Search?

* TV?

* Buying a network operator? Starting a network?

I have no idea either.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Like who? What large company could they possibly acquire without it being blocked by the DOJ? And they're philosophically opposed to adding non-Apple culture into the company. By which I mean non-Apple employees.

They could likely acquire any number of companies before raising anti-trust concerns. Google just acquired Motorola Mobility, for instance. They could theoretically acquire a NAND or LCD/IPS screen manufacturer to reduce dependence on Samsung, for instance.

That said, companies don't pre-announce press conferences for acquisitions. They just send out a release right before the market opens. They also wouldn't characterize it as "discussing our cash balance." Something in the $10+ billion range would be more transformational.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Scott Forstall has never been to Disney World, so first, Apple will send him there. Scott has been quoted as being very excited about Space Mountain.

Bob Mansfield will be installing a deck on the back of his house. He may also install a rain gauge.

Jony Ive intends on taking his kids out for breakfast every other Sunday for the rest of the year.

Peter Oppenheimer has been heard that he needs to "live a little" and will be stepping away from model railroading and plans on using some of the money to take up fly fishing.

Tim Cook plans on buying a new iPad.

I love this post so very much, bravo, bravo indeed.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My prediction, 90% sure: Apple Inc. will repurchase TONS of their outstanding stock at outlandish prices. This makes SO much more sense than a dividend.

Not necessarily. Qualifying dividends are taxed at 15% for US shareholders (part of the "Bush tax cuts" that expire on 12/31/12). Dividend tax rates are set to soar in 2013, so if they are going to announce a large cash dividend, this would be the year to do it.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Not A Good Sign

Though Tim Cook has the reigns at Apple, he should still be following the vision Steve Jobs had.

Jobs could careless about investors, all Jobs was concerned about was making more money so shareholders can purchase the things they desired. Being so open about money is really a bad sign in my opinion. Apple in the past never catered to such, sharks and leeches.

Cook needs to make sure the company is innovating and bringing out "insanely great" products. Jobs noted that Cook wasn't a product guy, but product is what Apple needs to continue, to change markets. Talking about Cash and being somewhat of a bean counter to these shareholders, sounds like Apple is slowly shifting off the plan Jobs left them to develop.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Displays

Didn't I read something recently that Samsung was spinning off it's display manufacturing division?

Maybe Apple will be buying it as part of vertical integration efforts, just like they have done with processors and memory. Tricky part is, Samsung produces displays for many many other corporations. Perhaps Apple will buy it and operate as a subsidiary?

edit: Reuters: Samsung considering options for LCD business

Still, this would be but a drop in the $100 billion bucket.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Like who? What large company could they possibly acquire without it being blocked by the DOJ? And they're philosophically opposed to adding non-Apple culture into the company. By which I mean non-Apple employees.
There are only two companies that DOJ would definitely want to block: Google and Microsoft. And then there's a third likely case, largely due to ongoing patent disputes: Samsung. Plenty of other fish in the sea, as it were.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Didn't I read something recently that Samsung was spinning off it's display manufacturing division?

Maybe Apple will be buying it as part of vertical integration efforts, just like they have done with processors and memory. Tricky part is, Samsung produces displays for many many other corporations. Perhaps Apple will buy it and operate as a subsidiary?

I'd guess Sharp,Inc.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Buy Nvidia, AMD and Imagination Tech. Then send the competition to the graphics dark ages...

But it's going to be a huge stock buy back.

KouThan

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I believe that building a fabrication plant would be an interesting idea, because they would be more independent from other companies, like samsung, and it is clear that their needs in silicon components will rise. Also I am not a stockholder so I don't care for a dividend, plus it's better to invest money (which create jobs etc. that just giving it as dividends.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
We could but dream.

17 years is long overdue, it's time to start paying those who hold stock a dividend once again. Even a small token gesture would be an improvement than what happened under Jobs. At the time he had a point, but once the iPod took off he should have returned the company to paying a dividend. It shouldn't have needed a change in CEO for this to even be considered.

That has to be one of the most bone headed assessments I have ever heard. What exactly happened "under Jobs" leadership (sic)? Capital appreciation beyond any of our expectations and growing Apple to the largest capitalization in the world - duh... What are you thinking or smoking????????

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Content

Another wild idea... Apple will buy a controlling stake in some movie studio and allow it to operate independently. Thus securing rights to content and putting pressure on other movie studios to open up licensing?

Disney, for example, has total assets = ~$72B. Estate of Steve Jobs is the largest stockholder.

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Not necessarily. Qualifying dividends are taxed at 15% for US shareholders (part of the "Bush tax cuts" that expire on 12/31/12). Dividend tax rates are set to soar in 2013, so if they are going to announce a large cash dividend, this would be the year to do it.

That makes sense from the perspective of a stock holder, a stock buy back makes more sense for apple.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Going to build their own FAB Plant in the US. :apple:

That is a great idea, or go back to doing significant manufacturing here.

I could also see them buying a TV studio or cable company so they can become a cable company sort of like DirecTV except via the Net and supply the usual channels any cable provider has.

I find it interesting this call happens just before the market opens. Why? Usually news is announced after the close. Must be something which will impact the market significantly.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Though Tim Cook has the reigns at Apple, he should still be following the vision Steve Jobs had.

Jobs could careless about investors, all Jobs was concerned about was making more money so shareholders can purchase the things they desired. Being so open about money is really a bad sign in my opinion. Apple in the past never catered to such, sharks and leeches.

Cook needs to make sure the company is innovating and bringing out "insanely great" products. Jobs noted that Cook wasn't a product guy, but product is what Apple needs to continue, to change markets. Talking about Cash and being somewhat of a bean counter to these shareholders, sounds like Apple is slowly shifting off the plan Jobs left them to develop.

Jony Ive, Eddy Cue, and Scott Forstall are the guys worrying about insanely great products. Tim is focusing on being a good CEO. One person can't replace someone like Steve Jobs (the likes of whom come around maybe once a generation, or less). Steve Jobs got Apple to the top. Now that they are there, their needs are a bit different. Staying on top is a different exercise from getting there.

Also, there are tax and legal consequences of having a large cash balance. If they don't do something, the IRS can claim they are hoarding cash and impose a punitive tax rate on them. They need to address this so that it is off the table, and they can then go back to focusing on making insanely great products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.