Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplebeep

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
SLC
Hello! I've been using Lion for about a month now, and it's been fine. But on a friend's computer, as it was starting up, something caught my eye: As the grey boot screen with :apple: and spinning gear finished, I thought I saw the :apple: logo slide up onto the login screen! It's a clever transition from the grey-on-grey base system loading to the pressed-on-linen of the login window, and provides excellent continuity of the apple logo.

Since then I've watched my computer very carefully several times, but I haven't seen this transition happen. Instead, the screen goes plain grey for a moment, and the Login Window just fades in. No one on the intertubes seems to be talking about this, but there indeed is evidence of it in this video (right before the 2 minute mark).

Does anyone have insight as to how often this animation occurs, or what the factors are for making it happen?

jamer72

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Hi, I'm Xavier from Spain. First of all sorry for my bad english...
I have the same problem with Lion in this configuration:
Mac Pro Mid 2010 Quad Core 2,8Ghz. Nehalem
Radeon HD5870 from Apple
16GB Ram (4x4GB)

When I start up or restart my machine, I don't see the transition all of you are saying, all I can see is a white flash screen from the grey screen to directly de login screen. I've been investigating for very long and finally discovered that the problem is an extension called "IOGraphicsFamily.kext", al least in my system. It's in HD - System - Library - Extensions.
The only one solution I've found is replace this extension with the one that was installed in Lion Developer Preview 4 Update 1. When I replace this extension with the final version of Lion and succsesive updates, everythings goes back to normal, and the login transition appears again.
I don't know why this is happening because I compared the extension from DP4 and Lion final and they were the same version, with different creation dates but the Nr. version was the same (2.3).
Now I'm installing all the 10.7.2 betas that Apple seeds to developers and the problem continues. This morning I installed 10.7.2 build 11C55, and the version extension has changed to 2.3.2, but the problem persists.
Replaced the extension again with Lion DP4, and all is fine again.
This is all I can say about this problem. If anybody needs a copy of the working extension from Lion DP4, email-me at javiereme72@gmail.com, I have a backup for the extension until a solution appears.
ThanX to all.
Xavier

Last edited:

simplebeep

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
SLC
Hm. There seem to be problems going around with Lion disagreeing with certain graphics configurations like mine. I've also had issues with the Login Window crashing. We'll see if anything changes with the next few system updates—but I doubt it.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
When I first got my 2011 MacBook Air, I got this nice transition. Now when I restart or just boot up I don't get any nice transition at all :(.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Hundreds of developers in Cupertino boot up their macs every day, I'm sure someone noticed. It'll be fixed.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I noticed the transition right away. I don't have a PW on my MBP, so it just goes from the grey Apple boot screen and then fades while my desktop zooms in to full screen. I thought it was pretty neat at first but I don't know how much more eye candy I can get out of my Core 2 Duo MBP. :confused:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Hey all,

I hate to revive an old thread but has anybody been able to solve this issue? I recently noticed this when comparing my 2011 macbook pro's boot vs. my friend's 2009 macbook pro (both on 10.7.3). His has this nifty animation where the white screen turns sepia-ish and the Apple logo shifts up to present the login screen, while mine just flashes a white screen (no logo) and then the login screen suddenly appears.

Anybody?

David88888

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Apple Logo Animation Transition

I have two Macs -- MacBook Air 11 and MacBook Air 13. My mac11 had snow leopard and when I upgraded to lion the apple transition worked. My mac13 came preinstalled with lion and the apple logo animation does not appear at bootup. I checked my mac11 to see if "IOGraphicsFamily.kext" is located in HD - System - Library - Extensions but it is not there, the folder is empty, so that means this file is not causing the problem.

Hi, I'm Xavier from Spain. First of all sorry for my bad english...
I have the same problem with Lion in this configuration:
Mac Pro Mid 2010 Quad Core 2,8Ghz. Nehalem
Radeon HD5870 from Apple
16GB Ram (4x4GB)

When I start up or restart my machine, I don't see the transition all of you are saying, all I can see is a white flash screen from the grey screen to directly de login screen. I've been investigating for very long and finally discovered that the problem is an extension called "IOGraphicsFamily.kext", al least in my system. It's in HD - System - Library - Extensions.
The only one solution I've found is replace this extension with the one that was installed in Lion Developer Preview 4 Update 1. When I replace this extension with the final version of Lion and succsesive updates, everythings goes back to normal, and the login transition appears again.
I don't know why this is happening because I compared the extension from DP4 and Lion final and they were the same version, with different creation dates but the Nr. version was the same (2.3).
Now I'm installing all the 10.7.2 betas that Apple seeds to developers and the problem continues. This morning I installed 10.7.2 build 11C55, and the version extension has changed to 2.3.2, but the problem persists.
Replaced the extension again with Lion DP4, and all is fine again.
This is all I can say about this problem. If anybody needs a copy of the working extension from Lion DP4, email-me at javiereme72@gmail.com, I have a backup for the extension until a solution appears.
ThanX to all.
Xavier

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Does anyone have insight as to how often this animation occurs, or what the factors are for making it happen?

I had this same issue on both my 2009 27" iMac and my new retina MBP and it drove me crazy, because my old 2008 unibody played the startup animations perfectly.

I tried everything, including a fresh install of Lion. Nothing worked. However, I am happy to say that installing the Mountain Lion GM has finally fixed it on both computers and the startup animations run beautifully.

Hope it cures yours as well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

I hate to revive an old thread but has anybody been able to solve this issue? I recently noticed this when comparing my 2011 macbook pro's boot vs. my friend's 2009 macbook pro (both on 10.7.3). His has this nifty animation where the white screen turns sepia-ish and the Apple logo shifts up to present the login screen, while mine just flashes a white screen (no logo) and then the login screen suddenly appears.

Anybody?

Given that his computer is two years older than yours perhaps he's seeing it because his machine is slower and that 'nifty animation' is to let him know that his machine isn't frozen but is working on something.

You on the other hand, on a faster computer, are not seeing it because you don't need to.

simplebeep

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
SLC
…that 'nifty animation' is to let him know that his machine… is working on something.… You on the other hand, on a faster computer, are not seeing it because you don't need to.

That's an interesting theory. I could certainly see the animation being bypassed if the Login Window is ready early. It seems a bit counterintuitive, though, as smooth animations are usually a sign of fast/efficient computing; and Apple has been known to include (frivolous?) animations for aesthetic reasons only.

I've always had slight troubles with my NVidia graphics card, so I think that's what I'd most easily ascribe the problem to.

As for Mountain Lion, wouldn't want to violate the NDA, now, would we? But let's just say I don't think @HelveticaNeue is alone in hir observations.

Rjjcvb

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
Antone still having this problem even on Mountain lion?

This problem only began after Mountain lion Installation. When I had LION I had this startup animation.... now I am having the same problem....

:confused:

Rjjcvb

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
Air Display

Something REALY STRANGE.

I just installed again Air display and after reboot the boot animation came back!
:eek:

Rebooted again and nothing
uninstalled rebooted, nothing.
Installed again and rebooted, nothing.

Rjjcvb

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
Something REALY STRANGE.

I just installed again Air display and after reboot the boot animation came back!
:eek:

Rebooted again and nothing
uninstalled rebooted, nothing.
Installed again and rebooted, nothing.

This issue has been solved in OS X 10.8.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.