Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I'm with you.

I would like a forum refresh. In fact, ideally I'd like a dramatic forum refresh. vBulletin is a bit dated in general. I've thought about how the forum should evolve both in style and functionality.

The ambitious version of doing a forum refresh would be very ambitious and would likely piss off some of the regulars.

Of course, these all take time. vBulletin is also a bit of a beast in terms of skinning and maintaining. I have a group that might be able to do it, so there is some progress in that front.

arn

What type of ideas did you have in mind for a dramatic forum refresh?

I have been mostly thinking about the design and not functionality. But, I could definitely see some changes in functionality having a positive effect.

I may be able to help out if you are interested.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What type of ideas did you have in mind for a dramatic forum refresh?

I have been mostly thinking about the design and not functionality. But, I could definitely see some changes in functionality having a positive effect.

I may be able to help out if you are interested.

For example, I think the last replied ordered thread list is a bad choice for a default view. It is so volatile and hard to follow in a busy forum.

arn

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Why change something, that doesn't need changing? Everything works fine, no problems with the forum. It's nice and simple, remember it's about the discussions, not how many gadgets or how pretty the forum is.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm fine with as it now is, especially after they've added some new options recently (like quote notifications). However, Search could be improved, so I don't have to use Google.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm fine with as it now is, especially after they've added some new options recently (like quote notifications). However, Search could be improved, so I don't have to use Google.

We have a google search function, I just wish it was in the search bar that's on every page, not under the search drop down.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Search is probably as good as it'll get. Any specific search term issues?

arn

----------

Why change something, that doesn't need changing? Everything works fine, no problems with the forum. It's nice and simple, remember it's about the discussions, not how many gadgets or how pretty the forum is.

I don't agree that "everything works fine."

arn

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

arn
I can think of a number of ways search could be improved/enhanced, but the likelihood of them being implemented is slim. They're probably too complex to bother with. Search works fairly well, as it is, but there's always room for improvement. It would be nice if people would actually try searching more often.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom

arn

----------

arn

I mean, works fine in the design part (as in, looks fine and doesn't need new fancy colours) The inner workings of the forum, I have no idea about.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

arn

----------

arn

You can't search for phrases ("battery life" "MacBook Pro") and you can't search for specific timeframes. So, I find myself using Google to search with the parameter site:Macrumors.com most of the time. The problem with the Google search is you can't specify it to certain subforums (understandably, because it's a search engine and not made for VBulletin).

Not that any of these fixes are going to fix those who never search to begin with, but it would help me to help them faster.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In the area of search, I agree with -aggie- and would like to add that it would great if we could drill down further than forums and sub-forums and into individual threads. That would be helpful when you know there is a post in a real long thread, but can't quite remember where it's at.

Of course, being able to do an individual thread search would probably bring a lot of server overhead with it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A few capabilities that would be nice:
  • Have the ability to define search preferences in the User CP.

• Define which forums by default you want to include/exclude in searches.

• Define which time frame by default you want to use in searches.

For example, I'd like all my searches to be for posts within the past year, with the option on search results to alter or remove that criteria.
  • Have the ability to save searches that you perform frequently, including search terms, time frame, thread titles or posts, forums to search, etc.

• Have the ability to specify to search for "this" or "that", or "this" and "that".
    For example, I want to find threads on calibrating batteries, not calibrating displays.

• Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'll offer my thoughts:

There should only be 4 sections to this site, as I see it. The redesign should be made to make the site as simple to navigate as possible. This will make it flow and work whether on a Mac, an iPad or an iPhone.

News & Info - Buyers Guide - Forums - User CP

News & Info- Combine Front Page, Mac Blog, iOS blog and Page 2 and keep them all on one page, much the same way the mobile site currently works. Color code each category so the readers know which section their article belongs to. The articles appear in the order they're posted, but exceptional "Top Stories" could be pinned indefinitely. The recent forum material would not be on this page. Articles only!

Buyer's Guide- Functionally, this page works great right now. I would just lose the Front Page stories as the appropriate articles are already displayed next to the product. And maybe, just maybe, it's time to add the AppleTV...:p

Forums- I know a lot of this is tied to vBulletin, but it might be time to move to something more mobile friendly. But assuming you stick with vBulletin, I would only keep 3 of the subheadings: FAQ/Rules, Forum Spy and New Posts. User CP should be its own category, and the Community links would go there, too. A Search bar is already included on every page and Quick Links Are mostly redundant info anyway.

User CP- This is a very useful space now. I think it could be much more useful though if it was treated as more of a social space, kinda like you attempted to do with the last update here. Posting on others pages, adding photo galleries, listing friends and the like should encourage a more personal space, but it's really not a "beautiful" space that people want to "hang out" in. If you can let people customize their MR "home" people would socialize a lot more. Chatting is frowned upon in the forums, but it could be welcomed here. You could also add links to your favorite searches, forums or other MR spots.

---

So that's briefly the direction I would head. As much as I enjoy this site, I think it can be better. Again, the goal would be consistency across platform, ease of navigation and a decidedly social element. I don't think MR should go with a standard or follow established trends, I think they should innovate, try some new ideas. Your users are some of the most tech savvy and creative folks out there and this has got to be one of the most popular communities on the web. Lead the way in this space and don't settle for what's easy. The company that brought us here didn't do it and we're only here because that's what we respect and admire.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

For example, I'd like all my searches to be for posts within the past year, with the option on search results to alter or remove that criteria.
  • Have the ability to save searches that you perform frequently, including search terms, time frame, thread titles or posts, forums to search, etc.

• Have the ability to specify to search for "this" or "that", or "this" and "that".
    For example, I want to find threads on calibrating batteries, not calibrating displays.

• Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.

Arn, just read this. GGJstudios identified exactly what I'd like to see in search.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In the area of search, I agree with -aggie- and would like to add that it would great if we could drill down further than forums and sub-forums and into individual threads. That would be helpful when you know there is a post in a real long thread, but can't quite remember where it's at.

Of course, being able to do an individual thread search would probably bring a lot of server overhead with it.

There is a search for individual threads.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 10.45.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 10.45.32 PM.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 61

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
You can't search for phrases ("battery life" "MacBook Pro") and you can't search for specific timeframes. So, I find myself using Google to search with the parameter site:Macrumors.com most of the time. The problem with the Google search is you can't specify it to certain subforums (understandably, because it's a search engine and not made for VBulletin).

Not that any of these fixes are going to fix those who never search to begin with, but it would help me to help them faster.

In theory, you can search phrases.

"MacBook Pro" for example (with quotes). Does that not work?

arn

----------

probably doable

probably doable in some fashion

This is how it's supposed to work. Is it not working?

calibrating batteries - search for calibrating and batteries
calibrating | batteries - search for calibrating or batteries
calibrating -displays - search for calibrating, exclude results with the word displays

[*]Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.[/LIST]

done. it's 1 second now.

arn

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
In theory, you can search phrases.

"MacBook Pro" for example (with quotes). Does that not work?

arn

----------

probably doable

probably doable in some fashion

This is how it's supposed to work. Is it not working?

calibrating batteries - search for calibrating and batteries
calibrating | batteries - search for calibrating or batteries
calibrating -displays - search for calibrating, exclude results with the word displays

done. it's 1 second now.

arn

No, the quote searches don't work correctly. For some reason it searches for the phrase, but it also includes the individual words. Try it.

Thanks for changing the repeated search times.

As far as using "and" in a search that just adds "and" as a search term.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No, the quote searches don't work correctly. For some reason it searches for the phrase, but it also includes the individual words. Try it.

Thanks for changing the repeated search times.

As far as using "and" in a search that just adds "and" as a search term.

Ya, it seems to highlight the individual words too. But have you seen any results where there the phrase doesn't exist in the result?

arn

testing: macbook crazy

edit: yup, you're right. I'll look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.