Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebe1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Mine shows purple links in iGoogle as well. My iPad 1 and my gf's iPad 2, my iPhone 4S, and my MacBook Air shows Blue. Also, if you look at the Notepad icon, the yellow is almost Neon yellow, compared to the brownish yellow that you'll see on the other devices. :(

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Mine shows purple links in iGoogle as well. My iPad 1 and my gf's iPad 2, my iPhone 4S, and my MacBook Air shows Blue. Also, if you look at the Notepad icon, the yellow is almost Neon yellow, compared to the brownish yellow that you'll see on the other devices. :(

Yes, dark blues are leaning toward purple too much on mine as well, also yellow looks like neon lemon yellow.

Look at this 2 pool ball below, which is a gorgeous blue on my ipad2 and retina iPhone 4s but has a a purple hue on the new iPad.

Pool ball clip art, look at this on your iPhone 4s then the new iPad.
http://www.clipartof.com/portfolio/...3d-billiard-pool-ball-solid-blue-2-61777.html

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Yes, dark blues are leaning toward purple too much on mine as well, also yellow looks like neon lemon yellow.

Look at this 2 pool ball below, which is a gorgeous blue on my ipad2 and retina iPhone 4s but has a a purple hue on the new iPad.

http://www.clipartof.com/portfolio/...3d-billiard-pool-ball-solid-blue-2-61777.html

The masses are @$$e$... Just lined up my IP4, IP2, IP"3" (how cryptic will those be this time next year?), and 2006 White 24" iMac, all displaying that image. And let me tell you, one of these things is not like the others...

I'm not even going to waste my time with a spectrometer now, it's purple. Give it a week, and if no calibration or solution pops up, gonna swap it.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
I saw a video where the guy compared an iPad 2 and an iPad 3rd generation. It looked purple yes, even from the video.

cpharris

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I think the 3 is displaying a little better gamut of colors or it might be calibration too. I noticed this with when I saw this difference on my wide gamut IPS monitor vs an ordinary IPS monitor.

Go here.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
Go the second color, it is purple on the ipad and look at the same link on a standard monitor, it might be pale blue or lavander. the true color is purple.

scroll down some more and you'll get the real blue color.

Noticed instantly that my iPad 3 screen looked cold - blues looking almost purple...

But compared to my Windows 7 PC with a Dell 2209WA (IPS) Monitor [not officially calibrated, but my standard for image manipulation and printing], the iPad 3 is much closer to this than is my iPad 2.

The "purple" from this link is purple on my PC and iPad 3, but more of blue on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Still think the iPad 3 is a little too cold for my liking. Just glad I don't have a yellow screen!

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
The masses are @$$e$... Just lined up my IP4, IP2, IP"3" (how cryptic will those be this time next year?), and 2006 White 24" iMac, all displaying that image. And let me tell you, one of these things is not like the others...

I'm not even going to waste my time with a spectrometer now, it's purple. Give it a week, and if no calibration or solution pops up, gonna swap it.

Thanks for looking...and I agree, I don't want to take it back, but I do a lot of photo and art work, it's going to create problems. I took a picture of something deep blue and it looks fantastic on my 4s, completely wrong on this new ipad! Yellows are also wrong, but not as bad as the blues.

At the least why not give us some settings like hue adjustment? And let us have a setting for color temperature. They could burry it in settings and the average user would not be effected, put in a return to default setting.

I can't see how it was missed assuming they used something to calibrate so I'm hoping it's not something wrong with the LEDs....I hope it's an easy very slight shift that would correct this without effecting any other color.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I checked the pool ball on my new iPad directly beside my ipad2. To me the image on my new iPad is a royal blue and the one on the ipad2 is more turquoise.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
I was confused by this as well, and I'm still confuse by the results.

I put blue images across my macbook, ipad 3, ipad 1, HP screens, Nec screen, as well as my HTC rezound. I did all of them side by side, so I wouldn't get that placebo effect.

DSC00307.jpg

Results:

All of them, but the ipad 1, showed the purple, and are very close to one another.

The ipad 1 on the other hand didn't have the purple (hue?) like the others.

I for one, really like the blues that the ipad 1 gives off, and i'm confused as to why across the board that purple shows up in all my other devices.

Is royal blue suppose to have like a purple tint to it? Maybe this it what is considered to be accurate color?

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

It's very very very deep blue on my iPad 3 and MacBook Pro. No hint of purple.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010

Thats good to know, that's what I saw on a color corrected monitor, but not my iPad.

So some of us have a very slight shift toward purple, granted its slight, and this shift effects all the colors. I took the new iPad around looking at things with the camera and a banana has an odd lemon yellow appearance leaning toward green side of the spectrum, The 4s looked pretty darn close to what it was.

Maybe it's a burn in period? I'll wait a few weeks to see. It's a shame, it's such a slight shift in hue across the board, it would be so easy to fix if we had color controls.

I guess the good thing is these colors are closer to being real then the iPad 2, the iPad 2 did not reproduce the rich royal blues this one can, same with purple. I didn't notice how bad the blues were on the old iPad until now.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Good Read. Quote from Ctein

"Can't speak to whether or not you have a defective screen, but "blues" should go more "purple" on the new iPad. The iPad2 inaccurately rendered blues as too light and shifted towards cyan. The new iPad renders them very close to correct (as compared with a properly calibrated D65 studio monitor). I see no big difference in the rendering of pure yellows between the iPad2 and the new iPad, but the slightly warmer (and more accurate) color temperature of the new iPad could make them look subjectively different (i.e., compared to the "white," yellows would look slightly warmer on the iPad2).

If you don't like this color rendition, then return the new iPad, but don't expect Apple to "correct" it. It's actually much more correct now than it was in the iPad2."

This better explains my above test, and why out of all of my displays, only the iPad 1 was showing a difference in color.

remcoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
I'm starting to think it might be caused by the AR coating on the glass.
Not the panel itself.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Good Read. Quote from Ctein

"Can't speak to whether or not you have a defective screen, but "blues" should go more "purple" on the new iPad. The iPad2 inaccurately rendered blues as too light and shifted towards cyan. The new iPad renders them very close to correct (as compared with a properly calibrated D65 studio monitor). I see no big difference in the rendering of pure yellows between the iPad2 and the new iPad, but the slightly warmer (and more accurate) color temperature of the new iPad could make them look subjectively different (i.e., compared to the "white," yellows would look slightly warmer on the iPad2).

If you don't like this color rendition, then return the new iPad, but don't expect Apple to "correct" it. It's actually much more correct now than it was in the iPad2."

This better explains my above test, and why out of all of my displays, only the iPad 1 was showing a difference in color.

Thanks for the post, more info the better, totally agree with them that colors are better on the new one...

But some panels are off from the norm, I read that this can and will happen depending on the individual panel, not really defective.

They seem to say the yellows are slightly warmer on the new one, thats good to hear, as my yellow is colder. I have read others stating yellow was more cold, like whiter lemon like color.

Yellow leans toward slightly green on mine, almost sickly..picture I took in the kitchen showed bananas way off on mine from what is seen in real life. iPhone 4s and my hd cams showed almost exact reproduction of yellow.

In fact my whole screen is colder, colder than my iPad 2 or iPhone 4s, which is opposite of what others are seeing. So I don't think many are seeing this.

So good news is looks like a swap would solve my color issues, seeing how the new sharp panels are on the way, I may wait to see what happens then.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida

I just did the pool ball test, google test, blue charts and my New IPad (3) and my 2011 iMac are exactly the same when displaying the colors. My iPhone 4 shows a lighter blue. I love the way my iMac displays colors and photos and now I know my iPad 3 displays the same colors. This is great since I take photos with a Nikon and the photos I load on my iPad will represent my collection more accurately when I show them.

Ssunbrn

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I noticed a difference in the blue link color when upgrading to the iPad 3. I went from a black bezel iPad 2 to the white version for the iPad 3. I'm curious -- for those noticing the purplish color, which color iPad are you using?

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I noticed the same on day one. I just attributed it to the new display. Click on a link and have it turn purple on google and compare. Then it looks more blue in comparison.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
This is because the new iPad display has a considerably wider gamut, and far more accurate colour.

Source:

iPad 2 / iPad 3
ipad-2kdl9s.png
ipad-3zgx7r.png

Notice how the position of blue has changed considerably. It is far more saturated now, but this means it's more "purple" than it was before. It's more of a case that the old display wasn't "purple" enough.

Same thing with yellows, they were skewed towards orange before. The thing is that if you've been using a display like that for a year or more (if you had an original iPad) you get used to it, and it's going to take some time to adjust. Same thing with the new iPad display being warmer than the old one, and closer to the D65 reference than previous models. It's just going to take a bit of time.

Unfortunately I suspect at least a few app developers probably also used the iPad display to judge their work rather than a colour-accurate monitor, and thus tuned colours in their apps to look good on the iPad display, which will look bad on the new one.

Certainly, some things did look strange to me on the new iPad at first. (mostly any app icons with yellow in them)

TishTash

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
For what it's worth, iOS 6 appears to increase the blueness of the display to more accurately convey what we're used to. (Unfortunately the yellows remain a bit too canary-like. Oh well, we're gettin' there.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.