Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Sharp Corporation is still trying to ramp up production of displays for Apple's new iPad and expects to start shipments "as soon as possible".
The panels are to be used in Apple Inc.'s new iPad, according to people familiar the matter. The first batch of the U.S. company's newest tablet, released Friday, were not equipped with Sharp's LCD panels after the Japanese company faced difficulty in customizing the screens according to Apple's requirements, one of the people said last week
There has been some debate about Apple's suppliers for the new iPad display. The initial batch seems to be supplied solely by Samsung, but both Sharp and LG are reportedly expected to provide displays as well.

Despite a single display supplier, Apple seems to have been able to produce enough inventory of the new iPad to avoid sell-outs despite what Apple described as a "record weekend".

Left to Right: iPad 3, iPad 3 (Yellow), iPad 2 (via Fry-man22)​
Since the 3rd Generation iPad's launch, response to the new high resolution Retina display has been quite positive. There have been sporadic reports of defective yellow-tinged displays (see above) that have prompted some replacements. The new iPad screen has been described as slightly "warmer" than the iPad 2 screen, but comparison shots show a much larger difference in what are believed to be defective screens.

Article Link: Sharp to Begin Retina Display Shipments for New iPad

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Can we stop the threads about Samsung "clearly" having what it takes to "beat Apple" at their own game now?

Please? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
All things considered, of those three screens, the iPad 2 one looks the best.

Tony

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
When I finally got home from waiting hours in line, I opened my new iPad to find some kind of dirt/dust or something underneath the glass in multiple spots. I had to call Apple up and see if they had any more of the model I bought in and luckily, they did. I went back, got my new one, and everything seems find now...hopefully.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Why did you use quotes? Did you even read the article?
Huh? I'm quoting a couple of words members have used in other threads to reference Samsung's "impending"* besting of Apple at their own game just because they made the Retina display for the new iPad.

* There, I did it again. Bite me. :cool:

Also, toddybody did it above me here. Grab 'yer pitchfork.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Why did you use quotes? Did you even read the article?

Some fanboys simply don't want to admit that Apple and Samsung don't hate each other and are strategic partners on top of competitors. Its not a zero-sum game. If you hate Samsung, just stop buying Apple products. Its that simple. Or petition Apple to find other suppliers.

Not, if you don't mind, I'm going to enjoy my new iPad with its Samsung/Toshiba/Qualcomm guts and be quite happy about it.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Oh here we go again. If you didn't have a bunch of iPads lined up next to each other you wouldn't have a clue that one of them was warmer or colder than the other.

The one in the middle is not 'defective', it's just warmer. Someone else writing this story might consider the one on the left to be defective.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Left to Right: iPad 3, iPad 3 (Defective), iPad 2

AndHereWeGo.gif

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Oh here we go again. If you didn't have a bunch of iPads lined up next to each other you wouldn't have a clue that one of them was warmer or colder than the other.

The one in the middle is not 'defective', it's just warmer. Someone else writing this story might consider the one on the left to be defective.

That's so true!

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Some fanboys simply don't want to admit that Apple and Samsung don't hate each other and are strategic partners on top of competitors. Its not a zero-sum game. If you hate Samsung, just stop buying Apple products. Its that simple. Or petition Apple to find other suppliers.

Not, if you don't mind, I'm going to enjoy my new iPad with its Samsung/Toshiba/Qualcomm guts and be quite happy about it.
Again, I don't quite understand the itchy-trigger-finger here. Not only am I notoriously harsh on Apple in some cases, but I've never said anything to make anyone think I'm so vain as to think these two companies aren't at ends with each other.

Lesson of the day: Don't read entire volumes of opinion from quotation marks. Try constructive conversation first.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Wrong, defective. You can have all the piss yellow screens you want. When 99 out of 100 are not yellow, there might be an issue. :rolleyes:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
People are SO used to overly hot displays with bright blue torch-cast that when you have a properly calibrated 6500 degree display they think it looks yellow.

I am personally convinced that a lot of 'yellow tinged' display returns were actually the most accurate displays these people had in their life and just didn't realize it because they were so acclimatized to blue-tinted displays.

THAT SAID - some people genuinely did receive defective yellow displays especially on iMacs.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hope the Sharp panels are up to scratch.

Say what you want about Sammy, but they make the best panels out there. If I had a choice when I bought a new MacBook Pro, I'd want a Samsung in there.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
People are SO used to overly hot displays with bright blue torch-cast that when you have a properly calibrated 6500 degree display they think it looks yellow.

I am personally convinced that a lot of 'yellow tinged' display returns were actually the most accurate displays these people had in their life and just didn't realize it because they were so acclimatized to blue-tinted displays.

THAT SAID - some people genuinely did receive defective yellow displays especially on iMacs.

I have seen many piss yellow displays. A pure white background is yellowish. White objects in pictures are yellowish, black objects are grayish. This is in no way 'accurate'.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I have seen many piss yellow displays. A pure white background is yellowish. White objects in pictures are yellowish, black objects are grayish. This is in no way 'accurate'.

There are also many more people that jump on the paranoia bandwagon and return devices that are accurate.

It's no different than spending time at a friends house watching an HDTV in torch mode that looks normal to that individual. Then when he's at my house, my calibrated Pioneer Kuro looks "dingy" to him.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Again, I don't quite understand the itchy-trigger-finger here. Not only am I notoriously harsh on Apple in some cases, but I've never said anything to make anyone think I'm so vain as to think these two companies aren't at ends with each other.

Lesson of the day: Don't read entire volumes of opinion from quotation marks. Try constructive conversation first.

Maybe not you-maybe you were being sarcastic, but a lot of the quotation marks tend to have some sort of negative attitude to them and on this board, there is a lot of the "APPLE RULES! CONGRATS ON YOUR INSANE AMOUNTS OF MONEY! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" types...which boggles my mind, anyway. Hence the itchy-trigger-finger: There are all sorts of really bad comments about how awful Samsung is here for no other reason than some lawsuits pending in other company divisions that do compete. And competition, I think, is good for the consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.