Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Comparison, though color differences hard to capture in screenshots​
DisplayMate has published an extensive "shoot out" between the new iPad, the iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Aside from the much discussed resolution improvements of the 3rd Generation iPad, DisplayMate also confirms that the new screen also has much better color reproduction than the previous generation model.
Apple has taken the very good display on the iPad 2 and dramatically improved two of its major weak points: sharpness and color saturation - they are now state-of-the-art.
But there's more...the new iPad's picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it's also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.
Besides the color reproduction, they found the new iPad to be slightly less reflective than the iPad 2, but still felt there could be much improvement in this category.

They suggest that with the accuracy and picture quality, the new iPad could find itself used in many new professional level applications.

Article Link: DisplayMate Praises New iPad Screen Sharpness and Color

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Besides the color reproduction, they found the new iPad to be slightly less reflective than the iPad 2, but still felt there could be much improvement in this category.

Seriously, are some people that picky?

KoolKid

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Uppsala
Why isn't the iPhone 4s included here? I remember seeing differences between several 3gs displays. Isn't the 4s better than 4?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Why isn't the iPhone 4s included here? I remember seeing differences between several 3gs displays. Isn't the 4s better than 4?

No improvements were made on the technical side, only manufacturing. So it is better in a sense that there are less chances of having a yellow tint but that's about it.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I saw it in the store and while it's impressive that they have crammed so many pixels in, it has no useful purpose as every single one of the new pixels is going to be used to make everything sharper rather than as extra space to include more things.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
It's the same processor, but with more RAM and a better GPU.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been using a school supplied first gen iPad which really helps get my job done. My principal skipped the iPad 2 in favor of a big jump in the upgrade department and I'm expecting one of the new versions shortly I hope. :D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I saw it in the store and while it's impressive that they have crammed so many pixels in, it has no useful purpose as every single one of the new pixels is going to be used to make everything sharper rather than as extra space to include more things.

If you think they are being wasted making things sharper then you maybe have bad eyes..

Going from an iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 was incredible to my eyes. Reading text was like reading print. So much easier on the eyes, not to mention how sharp photos looked.

I'm glad that the rumoured 15" retina display for the MacBook Pro is essentially just 1440x900 in terms of element size. I was never a fan of 1650x1050, found text to be too small for long periods of comfortable use.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Seriously, are some people that picky?

It all comes down to what people will pay for. I have an Ipad2 and compared it to the "New iPad" . The newer model obviously has a better display and some other features, but for me, the Ipad2 is fine. Not worth the upgrade to me, btu to many it certainly is.
Can't remember the last time I took a picture with my iPad anyway, but i'm sure some take lots.

$349 for an Ipad2 refurb, or $499 for the New model. It is nice that we have a choice now!

This time next year we may be talking about $349 for the refurb iPad with the new HD screen( I hate the term retina). By that time the new new iPad will have a better camera, front and back, and a true quad core processor, and some other goodies!

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005

Totally agree. I was completely put off by how much easier it was to read on the iPad3. Totally useless.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Indeed, reading text is just weirdly easy on the new iPad. It's the best digital reading experience I've had so far. But I don't own a Kindle so can't compare that.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I love the fact of the better color reproduction and sharpness.

It opens a variety of new uses, like as a monitor for DSLR shooting or as a second display for a laptop (provided it's technically possible now in regards to ports).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Apple: Just give us the controls to color calibrate these screens, then come out with Aperture for iPad, then bribe Adobe to make Lightroom for iPad (yes, this will be good for you) and you will find that every single professional photographer in the world will have to buy an iPad. It will become just as essential as a tripod.

Come on...you're so close.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I'm glad I waited for this release to purchase an iPad. The first gen just didn't do it for me, and I was almost convinced when the iPad 2 came out. But Apple seems to have hit it out of the park, more or less, with this new iPad.

Happy as a clam :)

andy603

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
AMEN to that!

How about opening up the USB port or an HDMI in so that we could tether the ipad to our DSLRs and use it as a replacement for our camera LCD...Andriod does it....why not Apple!!

Apple: Just give us the controls to color calibrate these screens, then come out with Aperture for iPad, then bribe Adobe to make Lightroom for iPad (yes, this will be good for you) and you will find that every single professional photographer in the world will have to buy an iPad. It will become just as essential as a tripod.

Come on...you're so close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.