Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archangel42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi have a Macbook Pro 13" and two years old which refuses to charge. It was holding charge ok until refusing to take it. Any suggestions? Thanks..........:(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi have a Macbook Pro 13" and two years old which refuses to charge. It was holding charge ok until refusing to take it. Any suggestions? Thanks..........:(
Check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

saysarahhh

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
macbook pro not charging at all

bought this macbook around mid 2009 and everything working fine then one fine day around mid 2011 it just shuts down and cant turn it back on without plugging the charger in. charger light is green and the battery sign says not charging so if i accidentally unplug the charger, my macbook will switch off, been living with this condition since then and just feeling really frustrated because recently my macbook will just shut down even with the charger on as if i were to unplug it. can anyone help?? im super unlucky because this happened after my warranty end and was thinking of getting a new battery? but i dont know where and how to get a new one as alot of people say dont buy from apple because of the jack up prices.

This is my battery info, unfortunately got no idea what all these means at all
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 524
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -2
Voltage (mV): 10969

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Hey I'm having the same problem. My early Early 2011 MBP is just out of warranty and has decided to stop charging. It is not a charger problem, because it charges our 2010 MBP fine.

Is it very likely to be a battery problem? Seems odd as it's been working fine and the battery would hold several hours charge at a time... I tried the whole SMC reset business but the computer doesn't respond at all (I'm not even sure if there's supposed to be a noticeable response when you do it). The issue is that the laptop is only on a few % power so it's probably refusing to do anything for that reason.

Can someone provide any explanation/solution? If it involves getting Apple to repair it what are they likely to charge me?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey I'm having the same problem. My early Early 2011 MBP is just out of warranty and has decided to stop charging. It is not a charger problem, because it charges our 2010 MBP fine.

Is it very likely to be a battery problem? Seems odd as it's been working fine and the battery would hold several hours charge at a time... I tried the whole SMC reset business but the computer doesn't respond at all (I'm not even sure if there's supposed to be a noticeable response when you do it). The issue is that the laptop is only on a few % power so it's probably refusing to do anything for that reason.

Can someone provide any explanation/solution? If it involves getting Apple to repair it what are they likely to charge me?

Thanks!
Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your battery condition, or get the information from System Profiler > Power

Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro (from the Battery FAQ in post #3, which you should read).

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your first point isn't helpful because as I said, the battery is at too low a power to operate the laptop.
How long have you left the charger plugged in? Sometimes it takes a while before it begins charging. Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Perhaps there's a problem with the connection to that Mac.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
How long have you left the charger plugged in? Sometimes it takes a while before it begins charging. Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Perhaps there's a problem with the connection to that Mac.

Well I left it for at least a couple of hours yesterday, and the little indicator still displayed one flashing dot so it would seem nothing happened. I should probably note the green/orange charging light doesn't even illuminate. Looked at that troubleshoot thanks, but it didn't suggest anything I hadn't thought of.

Should I have left it plugged in even longer? Seems unlikely it'd make a difference though.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
No, it shouldn't take more than maybe 10-15 minutes before it starts charging. So your computer won't start even when plugged in?

Nope. No feedback from pressing the power button at all. Nothing to suggest the battery is charging. The only thing I've noticed is the light buzz that the charger makes changes pitch when plugged in (but not as high a pitch as it does when compared to actually charging the other MacBook), I don't expect this means anything useful though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope. No feedback from pressing the power button at all. Nothing to suggest the battery is charging. The only thing I've noticed is the light buzz that the charger makes changes pitch when plugged in (but not as high a pitch as it does when compared to actually charging the other MacBook), I don't expect this means anything useful though.
Your problem is greater than the battery. Even if the battery were not charging, it should still power on with AC plugged in. There have been some cases where a battery is so completely dead that powering up was not possible, but that's pretty rare. It sounds like a trip to Apple to have them check it out.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Your problem is greater than the battery. Even if the battery were not charging, it should still power on with AC plugged in. There have been some cases where a battery is so completely dead that powering up was not possible, but that's pretty rare. It sounds like a trip to Apple to have them check it out.

Oh dear, so the circuitry has somehow shorted? Definitely does sound like an Apple job, and also like it's going to cost a fortune. Had to happen just 3 weeks after the warranty expired didn't it....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh dear, so the circuitry has somehow shorted? Definitely does sound like an Apple job, and also like it's going to cost a fortune. Had to happen just 3 weeks after the warranty expired didn't it....
There are 3 primary components to the charging system: the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the logic board. If you eliminate the first two as possible culprits.... Have Apple check it out and smile nice. If it's that soon after the warranty expires, they might be kind and make an exception.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
There are 3 primary components to the charging system: the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the logic board. If you eliminate the first two as possible culprits.... Have Apple check it out and smile nice. If it's that soon after the warranty expires, they might be kind and make an exception.

Oh I can't wait to be told the logic board is up a certain creek...

I did just read a thread elsewhere online where someone had the same problem with only a 3 month old MBP. It apparently turned out to be a loose relay between the battery and logic board. I can only hope...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh I can't wait to be told the logic board is up a certain creek...

I did just read a thread elsewhere online where someone had the same problem with only a 3 month old MBP. It apparently turned out to be a loose relay between the battery and logic board. I can only hope...
Logic boards do fail, but not that often. I'd say your chances are fairly good that it's something simple, like a connector or bad battery.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Logic boards do fail, but not that often. I'd say your chances are fairly good that it's something simple, like a connector or bad battery.

Alright well a trip to Apple it is! Thank you for advising me. I'll try to remember to post back here with the verdict.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, good news. It was repaired for free! Unfortunately when I went to collect it they couldn't seem to tell me what exactly was wrong, but it must have been something trivial like a loose connection to not even charge for labour.
I'm glad you got it worked out.... and at no expense! Congrats!

Zachattack90855

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
I have the same problem but my mac won't charge at all randomly the screen went black and it won't restart. Please help.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'd try unplugging the charger from the wall and letting it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then trying again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.