Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Software Installer Update 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.6.8

Apple today released Apple Software Installer Update 1.0, a small update intended to address an issue that could prevent Apple software from installing under Mac OS X 10.6.8.
Quote:
About Apple Software Installer Update 1.0

This update addresses an issue that may prevent certain Apple software from installing. This update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X 10.6.8.
Apple does not, however, specify exactly what the issue is or what Apple software is affected by it. The release weighs in at 1.34 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Installer Update 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.6.8
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

iCloud support next on SL please.

Kthx apple. Not everyone has lion nor wants it.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
techfreak85
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to techfreak85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post

Probably not going to happen. To Apple, iCloud is a selling point of Lion.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post

Highly unlikely.

Apple does not typically add new functionality to previous operating systems. They only actively develop for the latest and greatest operating system, whether it be OS X or iOS. This is typical behavior for Apple.

Snow Leopard is in maintenance mode, eligible for showstopping support issues and critical security upgrades. Note that OS X 10.5 Leopard has been deprecated, no updates whatsoever these days.

If you are unwilling to upgrade to Lion, well, you are in Apple's rear view mirror. Adios.
cvaldes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 4th generation: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So it's an installer for an installer. Neat-o.
AngerDanger is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:59 PM   #6
wikus
Banned

Snow Leopard is great, its far better optimized than Lion and thus runs much smoother. That and the fact that Expose is there that works the way it should.

I don't use iCloud, so a 10.6.9 update isn't a priority for me unless it brings even greater optimization. But for all those who do use iCloud, Apple really needs to pull its head out of its a$$ and give its customers some support.
wikus is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7
JurassicJon
macrumors newbie

Considering that OS X 10.8 is coming out this summer, I don't think there going to bring iCloud to OS X 10.6.X ever.
JurassicJon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
JackRoch
macrumors member

'weighed in' at 365Kb for me; requires a restart.

Thanks from me too for continued SL support.
JackRoch is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Let us hope this contains LZMA & LZMA2 support for 30 percent smaller .pkg files (better compression, faster download). Apples XAR .pkg-file format supports these compression algorithms.

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak85 View Post
Probably not going to happen. To Apple, iCloud is a selling point of Lion.
Agreed.

The only soup you get is bug fix soup.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:24 PM   #11
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Highly unlikely.

Apple does not typically add new functionality to previous operating systems. They only actively develop for the latest and greatest operating system, whether it be OS X or iOS. This is typical behavior for Apple.

Snow Leopard is in maintenance mode, eligible for showstopping support issues and critical security upgrades. Note that OS X 10.5 Leopard has been deprecated, no updates whatsoever these days.

If you are unwilling to upgrade to Lion, well, you are in Apple's rear view mirror. Adios.
While this has been typically true, apple hasn't had more than half of their user base refusing to upgrade to an OS they have released before either. I can see them offering a small update to snow leopard to allow contacts and calendars to continue working in Snow Leopard. I would like that.

I could care less about the rest of it... iCloud documents? please... Dropbox works just fine.. I don't need updated apps, and I can use one file with more than one program. I can also use it on any OS.

So if this isn't for some update for partial iCloud support, what apple software do you think they are preparing Snow Leopard for?

Last edited by jameslmoser; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
jameslmoser is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12
ardent73
macrumors member

iCloud is not new...

Quote:
Highly unlikely.

iCloud is not 'new' functionality, it is a replacement for MobileMe which is currently part of SL. If Apple thinks that can force upgrades like this then they are very wrong, this is what keeps people on Windows XP (30%) versus Mac (9.1%)
ardent73 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13
macbook pro i5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 4th generation: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So it's an installer for an installer. Neat-o.
Installer-ception

EDIT: For those of you that did not get the reference watch "Inception"

Last edited by macbook pro i5; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
macbook pro i5 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:50 PM   #14
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Highly unlikely.

Apple does not typically add new functionality to previous operating systems.
Like the new functionality in Safari for 10.6?

Or the new functionality in iTunes still supporting 10.5?
OriginalMacRat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:01 PM   #15
cvaldes
Banned

iTunes most definitely is not part of the operating system. It's a separate application, hence my statement remains correct.

I don't really know what new functionality Safari has acquired in Snow Leopard recently. As far as I can tell, it was just a minor JavaScript performance bump, not new functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent73 View Post
iCloud is not 'new' functionality, it is a replacement for MobileMe which is currently part of SL. If Apple thinks that can force upgrades like this then they are very wrong, this is what keeps people on Windows XP (30%) versus Mac (9.1%)
Certain features of iCloud are new (e.g., iOS device backup). Some others (e.g., Address Book and Calendar syncing) duplicate those previously offered in MobileMe (yes, I had a subscription at one point). The iCloud Photo Stream feature is also new.

Several MobileMe services have been deprecated (the photo album, iWeb).

Last edited by cvaldes; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
cvaldes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:51 PM   #16
ehmyerson
macrumors newbie

Safari update installation failure in Lion...

I'm dealing with Apple where my MBPro 10.7.3 won't complete the Safari update... Engineers asked for me to run Capture Data to get a peek at what's going on and Capture Data fails. We're doing this since last Friday, 3/16/12. Today we ran Terminal for a different peek... tomorrow they'll probably just tell me to reinstall Lion and the heck with it... Maybe they'll give me a Lion Installer Update to try... Don't give up guys... Stay tuned.
ehmyerson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:14 AM   #17
KoolKid
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is it possible to downgrade Lion to SL?
I am thinking of doing a clean SL install and then restore my things from Time machine. Or is there a better way of doing it?

Last edited by KoolKid; Mar 20, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
KoolKid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Elbert C
macrumors 6502

It didn't show up when I ran Software Update. The latest Safari and iTunes didn't either.
My MBP is running OS X 10.6.8.
Elbert C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:21 AM   #19
ehmyerson
macrumors newbie

This Software update glitch with Safari...

Kool Kid, I don't know if it's possible to downgrade to SL by any means other than a complete reinstallation of SL and a Time Machine migration of your files, docs and apps back to the 10.6 environment. I wonder what backtracking you'd have to do with your other apps which have probably upgraded to Lion?

This Safari upgrade may be dedicated to Lion, Elbert C.
But, I don't know.
ehmyerson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:31 AM   #20
Elbert C
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmyerson View Post
This Safari upgrade may be dedicated to Lion, Elbert C.
But, I don't know.
One of the system requirements listed for Safari 5.1.4 is SL 10.6.8. I'll try running SU again and if they don't show up I'll just manually download and install them.
Elbert C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:19 AM   #21
Hairball
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

I don't know why there are so many Lion haters, I have not had any issues. Is it about the software or not wanting to spend the $$$$?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:36 AM   #22
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Wow, a lot of people here dislike Lion. Let's hope Mountain Lion is polished, smooth and takes up less drive space, like Snow Leopard was for Leopard.
thekeyring is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:42 AM   #23
iOS-Update
macrumors newbie

I agree with tigress, iCloud support next on SL would be great
iOS-Update is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:40 AM   #24
Schizoid
macrumors 6502a

10.6... aaah, those were good days man... great days.
Schizoid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:49 AM   #25
klaxamazoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

I don't know why there are so many Lion haters, I have not had any issues. Is it about the software or not wanting to spend the $$$$?
1) Mission Control sucks at content management.
- You can only see one Space at a time
- Windows overlap and Spacebar hide-n-seek is stupid
- Can't drag Windows around very easily

2) iCal looks like ass
- removed mini-calendar
- pop-up Calendar's obscure content
- very difficult to change the time of events if they overlap

3) Address book sucks
- can only see two columns of information at a time
- looks like ass. Why does my digital address book, which could look like anything and should only be limited by the designer's imagination, be crippled just so that is looks like my grandfather's address book?

Lion added a lot of new nice new features, but the crippled Content Management scheme that is Mission Control makes Lion too much work to bother using unless I have to. I might as well be running Windows for how much Mission Control frustrates me.

I hate using Mission Control, I hate using iCal, and I hate using Address Book. The four Apple programs I use on a daily basis: Expose/Spaces, Mail, iCal, and Address book. Of those four programs, only Mail has improved my workflow in Lion, all the rest are harder to use.

Until ReSpaceApp comes out and has Expose capabilities, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard. I can just move my calendars and address book to google if necessary. Heck, at least google is steady, Apple has changed and broken their Syncing service three times now.
klaxamazoo is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion