Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Apple may reconsider this practice. They may actually want the ipads and their products to trickle to stores like they did with the iPad2 so as to create the perception of heaving demand and more brand recognitiion through cravings :D

The downside of all this is that it may alienate a bunch of people?

RickK

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
It might have something to do with the fact that the guy who used to run manufacturing now runs the whole company.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This may be the "new normal" in the Tim Cook era. His background is in supply chain management.

Something to point out is that Steve Jobs, for all his greatness, liked to tinker with products until the very end. While it made for great products, he took it to an extreme. That Apple was able to get ANY supply so quickly after some of Jobs' last-minute changes (supposedly he changed the original iPhone less than a month before the launch) is a testament to Tim Cook.

Now that he's in charge, he's less likely to make last-minute changes to the designs that Jony Ivy and the engineering team put out. While it could mean that Apple is a bit more tolerant of "compromises" (such as going with the older LTE chip, the 45nm Samsung process for the A5X, and the resultant larger battery), it means that Apple has more time to ramp up in anticipation of a product launch.

That may be why Jobs had the foresight to place Ive's design team in a unique position within the org chart (I believe he has a dotted line to the Board and doesn't report directly to Tim Cook). By doing so, that keeps design "compromises" somewhat in check.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
I believe when the iPhone 4S switched to a reservation system, it became much quicker to pick one up in stores rather than wait online.

Hopefully they keep this up for the iPhone 5 :)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
So funny how online orders are slower than just going to a local best buy or apple re-seller. tons in stock there lol

Yes, because when you pre order, it takes time and work to deal with your order and then you have the currier involved, and there is just so much work that can be handeled at a time. But in the store you ask, swipe or pin your credit card and get the shiny box in an Apple bag. Next customer please.....

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
online orders you will get some discount through the credit card companies (at least in the USA) where as if you go and pickup in the store not so much.

also, not everyone is living close to apple store or best buy.

and some guys just prefer to order through online :)

there could be more reasons for online orders are taking to time deliver.

uberzephyr

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2003
oops - now I have two

I pre-ordered from Apple when the wait showed as 2-3 weeks, and then on a whim I stopped at a Verizon store on launch morning to see if they had any in stock, figuring I'd just cancel from Apple if so. They did, and I got the last one. However, before I got around to cancelling from Apple (I figured I had at LEAST a week), I got an email update Sunday that my "shipping in 2-3 weeks" iPad had just shipped! It should be here Thursday!

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
I waited until after opening time last Friday fully expecting to just place an order and wait for it to arrive. They had stack of the new iPads ready to buy and so I walked out with the exact model I wanted in less than an hour.
I second the suggestion to check locally.
My first iPad and it's great...still exploring.

This was my experience as well. I walked past one of the smaller Apple Stores in a mall at about 1 PM on Friday, fully expecting them to be sold out. Lo and behold, they still had a queue set up and still had all stock of all models. I got in line and got one right there and then in about 15 min.

The card system and the ability to check out anywhere made the process VERY quick and easy for me.

Last edited:

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
It's nice to read that there's plenty of stock in the US. But then I'm asking myself: Why should the iPad be available in Spain on 23th and on 20th you still can't preorder??

??? So, you propose they sell only in the US until everyone has had a chance to buy one? Then move onto the next country and do the same? :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
OMG OMG THERES NO DEMAND FOR iPADS ANYMORE!!! :rolleyes:

Well, it does seem like everyone on the face of the planet already owns one and those that didn't were the ones to order one immediately they came available.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Anyone know what stock levels are like in New York Apple stores or the store in Christiana Mall in Delaware? Thanks

Last edited:

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
so funny how online orders are slower than just going to a local best buy or apple re-seller. Tons in stock there lol
Apple may reconsider this practice. They may actually want the ipads and their products to trickle to stores like they did with the iPad2 so as to create the perception of heaving demand and more brand recognitiion through cravings :D

qft

----------

Now that he's in charge, he's less likely to make last-minute changes to the designs that Jony Ivy and the engineering team put out. While it could mean that Apple is a bit more tolerant of "compromises" (such as going with the older LTE chip, the 45nm Samsung process for the A5X, and the resultant larger battery), it means that Apple has more time to ramp up in anticipation of a product launch.
New iPad compromises to get them to market quicker with ample stock & less testing/QC are:
yellow tinted screen
10% higher temperature
more issues with light leaks/clouding/flashlighting
more issues with dead pixels

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

I completely disagree with this. Looks good for Apple that a new product sales out quickly with high demand but it causes scalpers to buy up available inventory just so that they can make quick money. I don’t feel sorry for the *******s that are stuck with 10 units and now have to return them with their tail between their legs. I completely approve of them flooding the market with tons of product so that normal people do not have to line up all night. I want to be able to walk into my local Verizon store 12 hours after launch to buy an iphone 5 without lining up for 10 freaking hours or seeing the pigs hike the price up on craigslist.
Good job Apple for meeting demand and for embarrassing those ebay/craigslist bastards. Today I seen an opened ipad 3 go for $500 on craigslist. The dummy scalpers still have them $50 to $100 over retail.

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
??? So, you propose they sell only in the US until everyone has had a chance to buy one? Then move onto the next country and do the same? :rolleyes:

No, I propose they finally start taking preorders i.E. in Spain instead of keeping all those iPads in US stock.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
qft

----------

New iPad compromises to get them to market quicker with ample stock & less testing/QC are:
yellow tinted screen
10% higher temperature
more issues with light leaks/clouding/flashlighting
more issues with dead pixels

Check your history. People complained about yellow screens, light leaks and dead pixels with the iPad 2.

QC and supply chain management aren't diametrically opposed. If anything, Steve Jobs' last-minute changes likely meant that there was a greater opportunity for defects since there was less time to refine the production process.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
UMMM JUST WALK IN THE STORE AND BUY IT.. Thats what i did.... WHY ORDER ONLNE AND WAIT 2 WEEKS???????:)

iDvisic

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
I'm hoping that this means my delay for my replacement is reduced. I preordered and got my Black Verizon 64 GB launch day--but it had a problem with the screen coating (wouldn't wipe clean with a microfiber cloth, and at an angle it looked like it had been wiped down with something corrosive). I can't go to an Apple retail store to get it replaced, and the shipping date from Apple is April 9th. :(

-->iDv.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Wait times are now back to 2-3 weeks from what I see. Also, yesterday all the Apple stores in Orlando had stock and today none do....

Edit: whoops now it is back to 1-2 weeks again...maybe a weird glitch earlier.

Last edited:

CrabappleQ

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I ordered my iPad yesterday morning before they changed the date, and it showed my delivery date would be April 11. After they changed the availability to 1-2 weeks, it said my iPad would be delivered between March 28 - April 4. Si was very excited. :D

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Target stores in my area still don't have much in stock. I'm waiting so I can use the employee discount.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
hope this will mess up eBay $camers plans for profit$

But it's still "Currently unavailable" in Apple Store Hong Kong (where I'd safely assume 90%+ of the devices sold go straight to scalpers' hands, then into China).

So back to iReserve (or so-called iDraw). :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.