Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
brn2rnjk1
macrumors regular

iMac/Server/iTunes question

We have been using my iMac as our central iTunes server (it feeds our Sonos home stereo system). For size and other reasons, I want to move this function to a standalone unit that isn't used for other computing. I am a newbie, but has anyone set up a server in Mac invironment that isn't just buying another iMac? What do you get?

Sorry for what is going to be an easy question, but not sure what to purchase to us OS and act like an iTunes server?
brn2rnjk1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I use a Mac mini for that purpose. It also serves movies and TV shows via Plex, from data stored on multiple drives and computers on my network.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Wavell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I use a Mac mini for that purpose. It also serves movies and TV shows via Plex, from data stored on multiple drives and computers on my network.
+1

They're really versatile little boxes and they hardly use any power either. Mine's primarily used as an iTunes server - I never really figured out Plex, although it does look gorgeous with some of the available skins.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:01 AM   #4
brn2rnjk1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavell View Post
+1

They're really versatile little boxes and they hardly use any power either. Mine's primarily used as an iTunes server - I never really figured out Plex, although it does look gorgeous with some of the available skins.
Where I am confused is this. Couldn't I buy a non-Mac External HD and do this? So, I have a LaCie external HD for my Mac and it is bootable. How do you load up Mac stuff like iTunes on a blank non-mac HD,

Sorry for the stupidity of this, but I am having a senior moment.
brn2rnjk1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1 View Post
Where I am confused is this. Couldn't I buy a non-Mac External HD and do this? So, I have a LaCie external HD for my Mac and it is bootable. How do you load up Mac stuff like iTunes on a blank non-mac HD,

Sorry for the stupidity of this, but I am having a senior moment.
BUt you would still need your Mac on to access the disk.

If you want a unit that is a iTunes server only, you need a separate computer for it. And a Mini would be the best for that.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:24 AM   #6
jamin100
macrumors 6502

What about a headless HP Microserver running Windows Home Server and Itunes.

They are cheap
Really low power
and can be run headless
jamin100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Wavell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
What about a headless HP Microserver running Windows Home Server and Itunes.

They are cheap
Really low power
and can be run headless
yep.. that could do it too. Although it's not *much* cheaper than a mac mini which is also really low power and can also be run headless.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
angle
macrumors regular

Can someone describe their Mac Mini itunes server setup? I've been thinking of doing this but curious about moving files, the streaming process, and general setup (I have an Apple TV2, and TONS of movies / TV / music on external HDD's). Any info is greatly appreciated!
angle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #9
creeman
macrumors 6502

If you're looking for a simple iTunes server, you can get almost any Synology NAS. They come with iTunes servers already on them. All you need to do is buy a hard disk, put it in and plug in the NAS. It will then just show up under the shared library section in iTunes.
15" 2.66 MacBook Pro (2010)
creeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac