Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
My main computer is a 27" iMac. It goes off for the night once I finish working, and then I switch to my iPad.

I have a fairly extensive media library in the range of 500GB, so I'm looking at getting a Time Capsule.

What I'm wondering is if I'll be able to access my media library on the Time Capsule with my iPad like I would be able to access it via iTunes on my iMac. Is this possible? The Time Capsule page says that it's compatible with iOS devices - is that what it means by it?

I'd appreciate any info on this!

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
My main computer is a 27" iMac. It goes off for the night once I finish working, and then I switch to my iPad.

I have a fairly extensive media library in the range of 500GB, so I'm looking at getting a Time Capsule.

What I'm wondering is if I'll be able to access my media library on the Time Capsule with my iPad like I would be able to access it via iTunes on my iMac. Is this possible? The Time Capsule page says that it's compatible with iOS devices - is that what it means by it?

I'd appreciate any info on this!

nope u cannot

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
GoodPlayer

Then go under SMB, click your time machine, go into the directory where your videos are.

This is assuming that your access .mp4, avi's etc in a specific directory, not a iTunes library.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Then what's the compatibility with iOS devices entail? Is there some other benefit to an iOS device from it?
Here's what it says on the The Time Capsule Site

You can rest assured that Time Capsule works with other certified 802.11n devices. And it’s compatible with Mac computers and PCs that use 802.11a, b, or g technologies, as well as wireless devices such as iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Apple TV.

I bought a TC thinking it might have a secret iTunes Server built in or some cool iOS feature but it only means it can work as a router for those devices.

Last edited:

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
There's an app called file browser that you can use to access your external hardrive connected to your airport I use it all the time to stream video and music from my 3 TB HD

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yes this is one of those things that makes no sense as to why there is no app from apple to leverage Time Capsule and iOS.
I would love to be able to access files from my Time capsule via my iPad and I don't care about music or movie files but docs and stuff.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
There's an app called file browser that you can use to access your external hardrive connected to your airport I use it all the time to stream video and music from my 3 TB HD

Thank you, will go check it out now.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
If you store your iTunes Media on your Time Capsule, as you would on any external hard drive, you could then set up Home Sharing in iTunes, and on your iPad. As long as you are home, you would then have access to videos/movies.
I suggest this because all my iTunes "stuff" is stored on an ext. dr. I would think the same would apply using the TC.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006

Thank you so much johnparjr. File Browser works really well, exactly what I was looking for.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

I want to thank you as well, that is a great app. Works with all internal and external drives as well, not just Time Capsule.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
So using this file browser app

I can have a regular external drive connected to my AirPort Extreme & be able to stream it on my ipad? Mkv or avi ?

And then AirPlay it to my Apple TV ?

Does the pc need to be on ?

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Have a look at Western Digital's MyBook drives.
The network ones will work with time machine and they have an iTunes server built in. The Duo model can mirror the two drives for extra safety. Look out for specials and you can get the 2x2TB model for about the same price as Apple's Time Capsule.

Edit:plus and the point they have iOS app to access any content.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
So using this file browser app

I can have a regular external drive connected to my AirPort Extreme & be able to stream it on my ipad? Mkv or avi ?

And then AirPlay it to my Apple TV ?

Does the pc need to be on ?

Yes filebrowser will stream your content directly from your hardrive on your airport and the computer has nothing to do with it so off/on it doesn't matter.

alesspunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Yes filebrowser will stream your content directly from your hardrive on your airport and the computer has nothing to do with it so off/on it doesn't matter.

Yes but if you use this third application, you can not use AirPlay feature in iTunes.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Could move your iTunes library to the time capsule, point iTunes to use the iTunes library file from there, and then your iPad could still interact with iTunes on your computer with iTunes being the middle man between the time capsule and iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can it play mkv videos ?

File Browser only plays iTunes compatible media, so no. There are other apps that stream mkv and other video formats to iOS devices, but you need a computer on that's running their server programs.

Hroquemore

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
How to store files and iTunes media for streaming on your personal network or nor

The best alternative on the market is POGO. This is an external hard drive that can be connected to your time capsule and allow you to download all your important files and media files that can be streamed from your personal network or it can be accessed from on the road via the Pogo App. It's only $59.99 at Best But and works great.

izdor

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Hi, I am also looking to access my time capsule over my ipad, and apparently filebrowser is what I need. But since there is no trial and I have to buy it to check it out, I would like to know if I am going to be able to:

- Stream movies to my apple tv through my ipad using airplay
- Access the files remotely (as you can do with macs) - if not, is there another app I can use?

Thank you!

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Hi, I am also looking to access my time capsule over my ipad, and apparently filebrowser is what I need. But since there is no trial and I have to buy it to check it out, I would like to know if I am going to be able to:

- Stream movies to my apple tv through my ipad using airplay
- Access the files remotely (as you can do with macs) - if not, is there another app I can use?

Thank you!

This one seems to be a trial of some sort.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowserlite/id335493278?mt=8

izdor

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Great yeah it works great!

Now, does anybody know any program I can use to access my time capsule remotely with my ipad, like I do with my mac?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.