Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Went to the Apple store today, and of course there were tons of people inside (and there always is, whether there is a new release or not). The sales associate told me they have "full sets" in their stock and I went right after my shift ended at 6:00 PM. That's here in Toronto at our flagship store. I'm surprised it died so quickly - no line up and it's now hassle free to buy one from the store. No point coming in. I saw this guy walk in, went to the sales, said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Went to the Apple store today, and of course there were tons of people inside (and there always is, whether there is a new release or not). The sales associate told me they have "full sets" in their stock and I went right after my shift ended at 6:00 PM. That's here in Toronto at our flagship store. I'm surprised it died so quickly - no line up and it's now hassle free to buy one from the store. No point coming in. I saw this guy walk in, went to the sales, said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.

Two words: Pre-Orders

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
True. But I guess from now on, there's no point for ordering online when you can easily walk in and pick up one easily.

But the only reason for this was pre-orders. I guarantee if they don't do pre-orders next year, then it'll be a pain to get one in stores for a long time. (Just like last year)

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
But the only reason for this was pre-orders. I guarantee if they don't do pre-orders next year, then it'll be a pain to get one in stores for a long time. (Just like last year)

I guess they were prepared! I'm glad they had tons for pre-orders, because less than a week later I can just walk in and buy one right away. I'm not the person that needs the new gadget right the second it's released, I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks -- but a couple of days (like the new iPad) is even better!

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
I guess they were prepared! I'm glad they had tons for pre-orders, because less than a week later I can just walk in and buy one right away. I'm not the person that needs the new gadget right the second it's released, I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks -- but a couple of days (like the new iPad) is even better!

Just that, many, maybe many more than just many pre-ordered and just decided to wait. And some peoples are already shipped out. And the ones who did not can find them in store. I mean, I did not even plan on getting one in Launch weekend thinking they were sold out, but behold, I got my 16GB on Saturday. They were just prepared, and I don't think there was much hype initially either b/c of the Pre-Orders.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I had the same experience in Toronto. Walked into the Eaton Center on saturday and picked one up. I was really surprised since last year it took me weeks to get an ipad.

Apple handled this launch well. :cool: Let's hope it'll be the same for the iphone launch.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.

The world is over-saturated with computers.

The new iPad will be my first. I'm selling my white MacBook for it.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.

The world is over-saturated with computers.

The new iPad will be my first. I'm selling my white MacBook for it.

It's arguable that the economy was even worse when the ipad 2 came out.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Anecdotal, but when I went to buy mine in So. Cal on a Monday afternoon, the iPad 3s were flying out the door. I bought two myself. Someone ahead of me, no exaggeration, bought four of them, and then a lot more people were buying after I got my two. Store was running low on all white models. They had black models in stock, wi-fi only was the big seller from what I saw.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
It's arguable that the economy was even worse when the ipad 2 came out.

You don't see homeless middle-class people because adult children are living with their parents now. People are becoming even more frugal, but they're still trying to live happy lives … putting on their best face.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Yep, Apple got the stock right this time too....I pre-ordred both ATV3 and the new iPad..both arrived on time on the 16th.

The fact that stores have stock is a good thing no?

I'd say it's a great thing. Customers who want an iPad can just go buy one without having to wait.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Yes, that must be the reason for the biggest launch yet, with over three million units sold in under four days... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.