Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
imagineer142
macrumors newbie

Music Mixing program, help!

Okay, so for the past five years or so, I've been using a music mixing program called Magix Music Maker on a desktop PC and it's worked brilliantly for me. I make mixes for cheerleading routines, so it's been awesome. HOWEVER, I now own a MacBook Pro and I can't use Magix Music Maker anymore. Can anyone give me suggestions of what programs to use? I've tried Garageband, and it doesn't have everything I need, and I've also tried Audacity but it's not complex enough. I'm not looking for a DJ kind of program. I don't mind if I have to pay for it. This is what I'm looking for in a program:

Be able to mix/edit multiple tracks at once, in the same window.
Change the tempo of tracks INDIVIDUALLY, not the whole project as a whole.
Not change the pitch unless I want to.
Add sound effects.

That's really all I need. It seems simple enough, but I can't seem to find a program that even has any hope of comparing to Magix. Please somebody help me!
imagineer142 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2
flipnotik
macrumors newbie

So my buddy had this exact question here at western washington university. She was looking for an osx alternative for her cheer mixes. Load up your tracks in Audacity, change tempos and whatnot, then throw it into garageband for arrangement. Works pretty seamlessly

I've noticed you have tried audacity, what complexities were you looking for? Anything in particular you've been trying to do with your tracks?

My friend has had luck with auto tempo detection, tempo changes according to set bpms, pitch bending etc. all the basics for a clean cheer mix.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Papanate
macrumors regular

1. Run whatever PC OS the Magic programs works in with in a shell on the Mac. Bootcamp gets you there but you have to own a copy of the PC OS.

2. Ableton Live will do what you want - it has a bit of a large learning curve though.
Papanate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
pofv
macrumors newbie

It's difficult to match the price of Magix software with what you want to do, as most of the big names (Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton, Cubase, Digital Performer, Studio One) are all 3 digit prices and then some.

I'd suggest looking at Reaper which has an unlimited trial and to buy a license is on par with the price of Magix.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineer142 View Post
Be able to mix/edit multiple tracks at once, in the same window.
Change the tempo of tracks INDIVIDUALLY, not the whole project as a whole.
Not change the pitch unless I want to.
Add sound effects.
I thought that GarageBand could adjust the timing of sectons. OK, maybe it can only adjust some tracks to match one track. But Aples's "logic" has flex time and you can adjust the length of the segment and it makes it play faster but keeps the pitch.
http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/whats-new/#flex-time
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:36 PM   #6
oliviervdv
macrumors newbie

Sorry for bumping this thread, I had the same question.

Coming from the PC world, I was using MixMeister.

Well I just found out it is available for OSX as well.

Does just what you want, but it ain't free though.
oliviervdv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:17 AM   #7
CraigCyril
macrumors newbie

I have a song and want to add beats to it. How can I do this?
CraigCyril is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio