Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
I have an original iPad 64gb 3G. I have been using it for about 2 years now and it is still fine for what I do with it. Part of me wants the new one, but I really can't justify it.

What I can justify is changing the version of ios I am running. Right now I am running 5.0.1 with jailbreak. I jailbreak to use screendimmer and browser changer.

I have always updated the ios, my favorite was when gestures came in. Just love them. But with each upgrade, memory seemed to get more and more dear.

Now I cannot run anything else with my perfect browser without the browser crashing from lack of memory. I understand the original iPad is grossly underpowered, but it seems like it operated better when running iOS 4.x.

My question is what version of ios give the best of all possible scenarios of performance. I have all my SSHs saved, so I should be able to downgrade. But to which version? I would love to keep the gestures, and the jailbreak, but get better memory availability.

Thanks
Michael

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
4.3.3 was the best version. it was rock solid in terms of performance, battery life, and wireless stability and it didn't have the bloatware that iOS5 brought to the table. moreover, there are quite a few cydia apps that were never updated to work with iOS 5 so going from JB 4.3.3 to the latest JB actually resulted in decreased functionality if you were using some of the older Cydia apps.

i upgraded to the JB 5.01 when it was released but unless you need iOS5 notifications, you'll be vastly better off reverting to 4.3.3

i haven't entirely ruled out reverting back to 4.3.3 myself.

I have an original iPad 64gb 3G. I have been using it for about 2 years now and it is still fine for what I do with it. Part of me wants the new one, but I really can't justify it.

What I can justify is changing the version of ios I am running. Right now I am running 5.0.1 with jailbreak. I jailbreak to use screendimmer and browser changer.

I have always updated the ios, my favorite was when gestures came in. Just love them. But with each upgrade, memory seemed to get more and more dear.

Now I cannot run anything else with my perfect browser without the browser crashing from lack of memory. I understand the original iPad is grossly underpowered, but it seems like it operated better when running iOS 4.x.

My question is what version of ios give the best of all possible scenarios of performance. I have all my SSHs saved, so I should be able to downgrade. But to which version? I would love to keep the gestures, and the jailbreak, but get better memory availability.

Thanks
Michael

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Whatever iOS that the ipad 1 first came out was incredible.

The battery life would last me 3 whole days! It was legendary.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
dynalmadman,

not sure if you knew it or not but multi-gesture was possible with 4.3.3 on the ipad1. you needed to edit the plist file directly to enable it. (should be plenty of links still up if you Google it.)

the only real gain from iOS5 was the new webkit which speeded up web-browsing. i never really saw that much of a difference between iOS4.x and 5.x in that dept but that might have been because i rarely get over 70KB on my wireless.

i primarily use my ipad for reading (75% of th time), movies (10%), browsing (10%), facetime (5%) none of which materially improved with iOS5 hence why i have a return to 4.3.3 in the back of my mind. i'll probably hold out until the the 5.1JB is released to see if my wireless and battery issues are fixed.

i really miss locktopus pro and the old springtomize on the 4.3.3 JB.

----------

Whatever iOS that the ipad 1 first came out was incredible.

The battery life would last me 3 whole days! It was legendary.

the multi-tasking library calls came after the initial IOS release on the ipad1. probably why battery life was so good. ;)

Last edited:

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
4.3.3 was the best version. it was rock solid in terms of performance, battery life, and wireless stability and it didn't have the bloatware that iOS5 brought to the table. moreover, there are quite a few cydia apps that were never updated to work with iOS 5 so going from JB 4.3.3 to the latest JB actually resulted in decreased functionality if you were using some of the older Cydia apps.

i upgraded to the JB 5.01 when it was released but unless you need iOS5 notifications, you'll be vastly better off reverting to 4.3.3

i haven't entirely ruled out reverting back to 4.3.3 myself.

This. I reverted and actually like it again. With 5.0 I wanted to smash it with a hammer.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Ok. Seems fairly unanimous. Gonna revert tomorrow.

I am assuming the iBooks fix still works for 4.3.3? I use my iPad for reading about 90% of the time and iBooks is a requirement.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Michael

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Where to find a how to?

Searched the guides here with no luck. Can some one point me to a tutorial for upgrading?

I have an original iPad w/ iOS 3.2 - would like 4.x

Thanks!

----------

Searched the guides here with no luck. Can some one point me to a tutorial for upgrading?

Found for iPhone - download desired IPSW place in iPhone Software Updates folder then DFU and OPT click on restore button.

Same for iPad?

Thanks!

ashkanr

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Trying to upgrade to 4.3.3 with no chance!

Hi, as the original poster, I have a iPad 1 with a factory installed iOS 3.2 and I am trying to upgrade to 4.3.3 using PwangeTool but when I try to restore the built ipsw file it says:

ipad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Is there anybody there with same problem as me?

Your help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Searched the guides here with no luck. Can
some one point me to a tutorial for upgrading?

Thanks!

----------

Found for iPhone - download desired IPSW place in iPhone Software Updates folder then DFU and OPT click on restore button.

Same for iPad?

Thanks!

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Hi, as the original poster, I have a iPad 1 with a factory installed iOS 3.2 and I am trying to upgrade to 4.3.3 using PwangeTool but when I try to restore the built ipsw file it says:

Is there anybody there with same problem as me?

Your help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade to any firmware you want, you can only downgrade to any firmware you have previously had. You are only able to update to the current firmware that apple is distributing, which currently is 5.1

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Unfortunately you cannot upgrade to any firmware you want

I thought one was able to download then upgrade to any third-party hosted firmware?

I'm on JB 4.3.2 with multi-gesture. Thought of going to iO5 but it's moot.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I thought one was able to download then upgrade to any third-party hosted firmware?

I'm on JB 4.3.2 with multi-gesture. Thought of going to iO5 but it's moot.

You can download the firmware but it won't do anything besides sit on your computer. In order to switch between firmwares you need your SHSH blobs saved. You can do this manually or cydia will do it automatically, but it only does it automatically to firmwares you have jailbroken. So unless you have previously. been on 5.0.1 and jailbroken it, you won't have the blobs, and therefore cannot revert/upgrade to it.

If you are currently jailbroken open cydia and go to the home page, at the top left in green letters it will show a list of saved blobs. (it may be somewhere else, I'm in a iPad 3 and therefore do not have cydia, but they are on the cydia home page in green letters.)

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
Im currently on the original pad, ive got to say though, no crashing, no sluggishness, 2 days battery life on ios5, and im on it a lot. This past 2 days ive been ill off work and used it around 8 hours each day and its still got a little juice left

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I downgraded from 5.1 to 4.3.3 today as I figured for what I use my iPad 1 for now I could do without what iOS 5 brings to the table.

I forgotten how much better this thing runs on the older firmware. It's generally much more responsive and nicer to use. Granted a few of the newer Apple apps won't sync anymore other than that it's all good.

Think I'll leave it at 4.3.3 until I put my hand in my pocket and upgrade.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
i dont know about you guys but i enjoy the 5.0.1, with the new ibooks and the notifications, its just as speedy and as fast as on 4.3.3 the newer apps will be coming out for iOS 5 only, so its worth the upgrade. i really havent noticed the difference in speed, its just the same or just as fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.