Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webkoor-CEO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
As many have noticed, some 3rd party cases with magnetic cover lock/unlock are working with the new iPad 3, and others are not. Here is WHY...

And, someone at Cupertino must be having either laughs or fits about this... or both.

The location of the magnetic sensor on the bezel of the iPad 3 is IDENTICAL to that of the iPad 2. But like many, I was quite surprised when I slid my new iPad 3 into a nice Italian leather case, and all of a sudden, the lock/unlock which always worked with it's predecesor didn't work any more.

Initially, from all the forum posts on the issue, I thought they had moved the location of the sensor, so I took a small magnet to the iPad directly to locate it - and I found it, right where it should have been and always was.

BUT... all magnets have a North pole and a South pole, and by accident, I found out that only ONE of these will activate the feature on the iPad 3, whereas BOTH would do so on the iPad 2!!

I had to make a razor incision near the magnet in my case, take it out, and flip it over. Now it works like a charm... except for the minor surgical scar...

Let your suppliers know about this solution so they can modify their manufacturing processes to insert the magnet in the proper polarity.

David Pollina
CEO
Miqna Webkoor Ltd.
http://www.tixpoint.com

Webkoor-CEO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
True, but on the iPad 2 it didn't matter - I've tested and confirmed this - both poles work. On the iPad 3 only one pole works, so case manufacturers are going to have to make sure the magnet orientation is correct.

David Pollina
CEO
Miqna Webkoor Ltd.
http://www.tixpoint.com

Last edited:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Did a search on Digikey and Bi-Polar latching sensors are $.15 each in a 3000 quantity and a normal sensor was $.13 each in a 3000 quantity.

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
why not instead of using a magnet you use a thin piece of metal. if the iPad sensor is using a magnet it would be easier to have a metal piece in the smart covers or covers themselves. Is it determined that all iPad sensors have the same polarity? either North or South?

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
why not instead of using a magnet you use a thin piece of metal. if the iPad sensor is using a magnet it would be easier to have a metal piece in the smart covers or covers themselves. Is it determined that all iPad sensors have the same polarity? either North or South?

Its not a magnet, its a sensor that detects magnetic fields.

zahadum

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
ipad magnets not suitable for portrait mode clasping

apple's magnet placement decisions have made cradle-based keyboards - such as the logitech ultrathin bluetooth case - to be NOT mechanically stable in portrait mode!

the ipad will simply tumble backwards out of the logitech cradle because there isnt sufficient magnetic gripping power in top/bottom of the ipads bezel.

(logitech was clearly too lazy to expand their design remit beyond what their previous oem experience with Zagg afforded them: they could have easily ensured that apple improved their magnet placement by the time the ipad3 -let alone the ipad4!- arrived.

(Indeed they could also improved the strength/placement of the magnets at the mid-point of their cradle as a stop-gap measure while apple was getting around at its leisure to fixing its nexgen of bezel technology — which one hopes will include the OBVIOUS addition of making the bezel itself into a control surface so the Cocoa Touch has a richer set of gestures available to it than does the ever-increasingly sophisticated on-screen edge-oriented controls of Windows Metro & Android do!)

anyways: the lack of proper complement of portrait -situated magnets is a serious design issue which apple needs to address for the next ipad/mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.